Page 11 of 255 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
    WTF is a external video card ???????????????

You must be confused as to what the difference is between PCI/AGP video cards and onboard ones.

"Onboard" means that the video card is a integrated part of the motherboard. PCI/AGP are slots that you can use to connect different types of hardware to you motherboard, such as video card.

Onboard video cards usually aren't very good.
    That's actually what I meant though, sorry. My native language is Spanish not English and I guess we use different terms for the same thing x)

Beans

Ok. Good to have that cleaned up. Didn't mean to disrepect your language

Beans

So I thought that the howto was getting frightfully big for the average newbie to plough through, so I just added a short'n'nsimple version of the howto to the tread opener. Maybe it will get some people started, that otherwise would feel overwhelmed by the complete howto. They can always read the complete file if they run in to complications.

Let me hear what you think
    Last edited by Sammi; January 29th, 2007 at 04:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well after more testing I got it working all the way to the point where I enter the world, then the game freezes the whole system....

Beans

Is there any way to get WoW to run fullscreen with Beryl?

Beans

Look man, Beryl is not even beta software, it's alpha software. It's not stable and NOONE will recommend that you run it's simultaneously with WoW.

But disclamer aside, I can get it to work in fullscreen and all

There is a performance hit though, so I don't use it daily - only to impress my non-linux friends when they drop by

What problem are you having with it? Can you give us a error message or screenshot of the problem?

Beans

I don't have any errors. WoW runs between 40 and 70 fps with AA and Beryl enabled. The problem I have is that the top and bottom window manager panels are on top of WoW and cut off those portions of the screen.

It's not a big deal as I can just switch to Metacity. Just thought it'd be fun to rotate the cube from WoW to Thottbot.

Screenshot
    Last edited by bankie; February 3rd, 2007 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Added screenshot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hey. I'm a new user to Linux and not very good at it yet, and just wanted to say thanks and tell you how much your guide helped me. WOW is running amazingly for me, better than I remember it running on Windows when I played last a couple of months ago.

I did want to mention though that if you try to add the wft/config.wtf file before you run the game, it will get overwritten. I didn't know that and had some problems with the game that I didn't solve until I completely reread the guide and saw that it said to add the lines to the file.

In case anyone else is in the same boat, you need to re-edit your config.wtf file if you have no sound, your normal mouse cursor is displayed over your WOW cursor, and your GUI action bar/bag icons are messed up or not appearing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bankie View Post
    I don't have any errors. WoW runs between 40 and 70 fps with AA and Beryl enabled. The problem I have is that the top and bottom window manager panels are on top of WoW and cut off those portions of the screen.

It's not a big deal as I can just switch to Metacity. Just thought it'd be fun to rotate the cube from WoW to Thottbot.
    The best I can do I to offer a workaround. Do this:

Right click the panel -> choose "propeties" -> enable "Show hide buttons" -> disable "Arrow on hide buttons" -> close

Now you can press the little marker on the edge of the panel, which will make it minimize into the corner, and only the little marker will show. Better than nothing

Quote Originally Posted by leanbeef View Post
    Hey. I'm a new user to Linux and not very good at it yet, and just wanted to say thanks and tell you how much your guide helped me. WOW is running amazingly for me, better than I remember it running on Windows when I played last a couple of months ago.

I did want to mention though that if you try to add the wft/config.wtf file before you run the game, it will get overwritten. I didn't know that and had some problems with the game that I didn't solve until I completely reread the guide and saw that it said to add the lines to the file.

In case anyone else is in the same boat, you need to re-edit your config.wtf file if you have no sound, your normal mouse cursor is displayed over your WOW cursor, and your GUI action bar/bag icons are messed up or not appearing.
    I did not know this Must be too long since I installed it myself. Someone should make a note on this in the howto

Beans

hi .. i know, that there is talk about this but i have some other errors ..
    i run WoW on my notebook (Sempron3400, 1GB, ATI Xpress 1100), on windows with no problems .. on Edgy there are ...
    OPENGL - choppy all the time from clicking on WoW icon, to shutdown .. cannot login to world, it freezes
    D3D - there are no backgrounds, no sound etc .. freezes after login to world ..

anybody know what with that ??
    please help me )
    thanks a lot

EDIT 1: i dont have folder 'WDB' in my WoW install directory ...

output of wine:
    fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 112 (SPI_GETMOUSESPEED)
    fixmeowrprofllMain (0x7c620000, 1, (nil)) not fully implemented
    fixme:ntdll:NtPowerInformation Unimplemented NtPowerInformation action: 11
    fixmeowrprofllMain (0x7c620000, 0, (nil)) not fully implemented
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33edd4,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f33c,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f5dc,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f5dc,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f544,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f530,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 113 (SPI_SETMOUSESPEED)
    err:wgl:ConvertPixelFormatWGLtoGLX invalid iPixelFormat 0
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f04c,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 113 (SPI_SETMOUSESPEED)
    fixme:sync:CreateIoCompletionPort (0xffffffff, (nil), 00000000, 00000000): stub.
    fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_TIMEOUT (5000): STUB
    fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT not supported on protocol 4
    fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_TIMEOUT (5000): STUB
    fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT not supported on protocol 4
    fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_CONTEXT_VALUE; STUB
    fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_CONTEXT_VALUE; STUB
    fixme:wgl:X11DRV_wglQueryPbufferARB unsupported WGL_PBUFFER_LOST_ARB (need glXSelectEvent/GLX_DAMAGED work)

WTF/Config.wtf:
    SET SoundOutputSystem "1"
    SET SoundBufferSize "150"
    SET gxApi "OpenGL"
    SET readTOS "1"
    SET readEULA "1"
    SET readScanning "-1"
    SET readContest "-1"
    SET locale "enGB"
    SET hwDetect "0"
    SET gxColorBits "24"
    SET gxDepthBits "24"
    SET gxResolution "1024x768"
    SET gxRefresh "60"
    SET gxMultisampleQuality "0.000000"
    SET gxFixLag "0"
    SET fullAlpha "1"
    SET doodadAnim "0"
    SET SmallCull "0.040000"
    SET DistCull "500.000000"
    SET trilinear "1"
    SET frillDensity "24"
    SET farclip "450.000000"
    SET specular "1"
    SET pixelShaders "1"
    SET particleDensity "1.000000"
    SET unitDrawDist "300.000000"
    SET accountName "comz"
    SET movie "0"
    SET realmList "eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com"
    SET realmName "Drak'thul"
    SET gameTip "2"
    SET ffxDeath "0"

there is no such error in logs of X etc ...
    Last edited by comz; February 5th, 2007 at 12:40 AM. Reason: new issues

Page 11 of 255 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast