Page 100 of 255 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 2548

Thread: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Howto: WOW with Wine (help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft)

im cool

Beans

Re: Fullscreen with Compiz.

Quote Originally Posted by merlyn View Post
    Hi all,

I finally got this to work. For those who are interested here's how.
    1. Open CompizConfig Settings Manager
    2. Scroll down until you see the section titled Window Management.
    3. Enable the Extra WM Actions plugin
    4. Open the config dialogue & click the arrow next to General to display the various config options for the plugin
    5. Click on the space next to Toggle Fullscreen where it says disabled. It should now read "New Accelerator...", (without the quotes)
    6. Press the key combination you wish to use for toggling full screen mode. I've used <ctrl><alt><return> as per the Beryl hotkeys mentioned in Sammis' trouble shooting guide for consistency.
    7. The Extra WM Actions should now appear as per my screenshot, unless you've chosen a different set of hot keys that is.
    8. Run the game, and when it's up & happening use your hot key combination.
    9. Enjoy the gaming experience in fullscreen. No more Gnome panels / window borders taking up screen real estate.
    Note: This works fine for me on my system. Nvidia geForce 7600gs (AGP), Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic, nvidia-glx-new100.14.19+2.6.22-14.9, compiz 1:0.6.0+git20071008-0ubuntu1, wine 0.9.46-0ubuntu1, WOW TBC

Cheers.
    Merlyn! Hey... I found Extra WM Actions. It was already enabled. But none of the actions inside there will let me add key combinations. I can only press letters or number. How do you get the cntrl+alt+enter combo in there. It never says "New Accelerator" it just pops a dialogue box that lets me enter a "Key"

*** EDIT *** Nevermind... I found it..... sheesh I'm dumb
    Last edited by reiki; October 26th, 2007 at 12:23 AM. Reason: short circuit between chair and keyboard
    Dell Zino HD, AMD Neo X2 e6850, 8GB, 750GB, ATI HD4330 in MXM slot.

Beans

Hello Ubuntu community!

I recently got Gutsy Gibbon all installed and working snazzily and following the guide here got WoW up and running.

It was working great...for two days...then the 8.42 drivers came out and being a sucker for pretty things I got them and following another guide on this site along with a linux inclined friend got them all installed and working.

Downside is now my WoW has taken a turn for the worst.
    My login screen now looks like this.

http://buzzhost.org/gamepics/WoW/error01.png

And ingame (yes it seems to load fine O_o) its bare minimum, basic textures on ground near me...no walls or characters or sky images though.

I have these lines in my conf.wtf file

SET gxApi "OpenGL"
    SET ffxDeath "0"
    SET ffxGlow "0"
    SET SoundOutputSystem "1"
    SET SoundBufferSize "150"

This is my video card "device" section in the Xorg.

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Generic Video Card"
    Driver "fglrx"
    Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "Capabilities" "0x00000800"
    Option "UseFastTLS" "0"
    Option "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"
    EndSection

And this is the launcher command.

wine "/home/jesse/.wine/drive_c/Program FIles/World of Warcraft/WoW.exe" -opengl

So from what I can tell I have covered all the basics, but im too new at linux to know what to do further, any and all help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by reiki View Post
    Merlyn! Hey... I found Extra WM Actions. It was already enabled. But none of the actions inside there will let me add key combinations. I can only press letters or number. How do you get the cntrl+alt+enter combo in there. It never says "New Accelerator" it just pops a dialogue box that lets me enter a "Key"

*** EDIT *** Nevermind... I found it..... sheesh I'm dumb
    Glad you got it happening in the end.

Perhaps I should have mentioned it may take a number of attempts as I couldn't get the key bindings to register or 'stick' straight away either.

As for that dialogue box, that pops up occasionally.

Not sure why the inconsistency occurs, but hey we are playing with 'pre release' ie pre 1.0 software, and that's half the fun.

Cheers.
    "I'm just sittin' here watchin' the wheels go 'round and 'round"
    John Lennon

Beans

Merlyn-

Thanks for your detective work in figuring that out. Using the Extra WM Actions to toggle to full screen I can now play WoW full screen with no gnome panels top and bottom. Everyone looks.... larger!

I also think it's nice that I can still use cntrl+alt+ arrow to rotate the cube to a new desktop and look something up in my browser and then rotate back to my full screen WoW session.

awesome.... just awesome.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by merlyn View Post
    Glad you got it happening in the end.

Perhaps I should have mentioned it may take a number of attempts as I couldn't get the key bindings to register or 'stick' straight away either.

As for that dialogue box, that pops up occasionally.

Not sure why the inconsistency occurs, but hey we are playing with 'pre release' ie pre 1.0 software, and that's half the fun.

Cheers.

Thanks for the howto, Merlyn, but I can't get it to work :/
    I enabled the Extra VM Actions, got the shortcut to stick and work, but not in WoW. I can fullscreen any window in Gnome, but it doesn't work in WoW.

I take it that you got it working fine while running Compiz?
    Can you also switch desktops without any problems? When I switch desktop WoW crashes. Works without Compiz. (I have the cube enabled in Compiz.)

----------------------------

Never mind me
    Forgot to SET gxWindow "1". That fixed both my problems. Now I can play full screen and switch desktops.

Cheers Merlyn!
    Last edited by havarha; October 26th, 2007 at 08:26 PM.

Beans

I'm running this in 7.10 (Gutsy) with compiz on and the advanced configuration tool. I have the cube active. When you're running WoW it should be starting windowed. I mean like.... at the end of your launcher line (this is one way to do it) it should say:

wine "C:/path-to-your-WoW-install/WoW.exe" -windowed

Merlyn has a setting in his WoW config file that does this, but I forgot to look it up before posting So I think there at least 2 ways to do it.

*edit* GAH! you edited while I was typing a response... I gotta learn to type faster
    Last edited by reiki; October 26th, 2007 at 08:30 PM. Reason: cause I'm slow

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzardB View Post
    Hello Ubuntu community!

I recently got Gutsy Gibbon all installed and working snazzily and following the guide here got WoW up and running.

It was working great...for two days...then the 8.42 drivers came out and being a sucker for pretty things I got them and following another guide on this site along with a linux inclined friend got them all installed and working.

Downside is now my WoW has taken a turn for the worst.
    My login screen now looks like this.

http://buzzhost.org/gamepics/WoW/error01.png

And ingame (yes it seems to load fine O_o) its bare minimum, basic textures on ground near me...no walls or characters or sky images though.

I have these lines in my conf.wtf file

SET gxApi "OpenGL"
    SET ffxDeath "0"
    SET ffxGlow "0"
    SET SoundOutputSystem "1"
    SET SoundBufferSize "150"

This is my video card "device" section in the Xorg.

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Generic Video Card"
    Driver "fglrx"
    Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "Capabilities" "0x00000800"
    Option "UseFastTLS" "0"
    Option "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"
    EndSection

And this is the launcher command.

wine "/home/jesse/.wine/drive_c/Program FIles/World of Warcraft/WoW.exe" -opengl

So from what I can tell I have covered all the basics, but im too new at linux to know what to do further, any and all help would be appreciated.
    EXACTLY THE SAME ERROR HERE!

Beans

So, I've gotten WoW installed and working. Everything seems to be functional, Except for one thing: I can't switch from WoW to another program or to my desktop without completely exiting it.

If I alt-tab, the program switcher GUI comes up, but I can't actually switch to another program with it.

I tried to run WoW in another workstation, I can switch to another workstation easily (and access other programs), but when I move back into WoW's workstation, the game completely disappears. It is gone from the taskbar, but still running as a process (and taking up memory).

Any advice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Anyone know how I can get addons to work?

I placed them in interface/addons but they are showing up in WoW.
    "Prevention is better than cure, use Linux"

Page 100 of 255 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast