First off, I want to give this a good solid try - I don't want to just throw up my hands and give up.
Okay here's the background: My co-worker has made the plunge to use Ubuntu, partly out of hatred for Win8. Everything is great, but he needs to be able to use Quickbooks. Alternatives will not suffice at this time.
1. Ubuntu 14.04 is working fantastically as the sole OS on his machine.
2. The most recent repository version of WINE is installed, and aside from a few minor hiccups appears to be running fine. I have tried configuring WINE to emulate Vista, Win7, and Win8.
3. The QuickBooks installer begins to run, and I can successfully enter the obnoxious security code thingie that all Win software seems to have.
4. The Quickbooks installer fails on installing msxml6_x64 with an invalid handle error (1604)
5. Using WineTricks, I identified the msxml6_x86 as the only optionso instead I went to the MS website and acquired msxml6_x64.msi.
6. msxml6_x64 appears to have installed fine, with no errors.
7. Running the QuickBooks installer still fails with the same error.
So my guess is that we need to somehow convince QuickBooks that xml6 is actually installed and/or give it the right location. Of course, there might be a different Windows library or some such that will also fix this error.
The most recent entry for QB in the AppDB is pretty old, but gives THAT version a platinum rating.
Finally, we might have to try using a virtual box, but I have no experience with that. I have installed virtualbox, but he may not have a Windows disk.