Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elo Touch Screen Intelli Touch (USB)

Beans

Elo Touch Screen Intelli Touch (USB)

First of all, this should work for touch screen monitors with IntelliTouch (Surface Acoustic Wave) technology, and hopefully other monitors.

www.elotouch.com offers you precompiled binaries for their monitors, unfortunately they just work for kernels <= 2.6.17. If you want them to compile for a special kernel/distro for you, they will charge you just a few $1,500 bucks (Hell no!, monitors I bought were expensive enough). I've found an open source driver called evtouch that works great in my PC (I'm using USB), so, let's begin.

1.-Sources, and an incomplete tutorial can be found here:
    http://stz-softwaretechnik.com/~ke/t...n/evtouch.html

Basic installation is copied from the website, but added my monitor's right values for xorg.conf, and udev-rules so the right events are triggered.

2.-The specs of the monitor I used, plus my PC specs:

• Elo Touch Screen monitor with IntelliTouch (Surface Acoustic Wave). Model 1939L, I used USB although monitor also has Serial interface.
    • Linux ubuntu 2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Sun Sep 23 19:50:39 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
    • Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn
    • CPU: Intel P4 3Ghz with HT

3.-Why this guide?
    This guide is meant to help people install touch screen monitors that use IntelliTouch technology (Surface Acoustic Wave), hopefully, other technologies will also work, although I don't have the hardware to test it. This guide was also meant to complement the source's website, as it lacked right values for Elo Touch monitor, and tutorial didn't mention udev-rules, which are needed to set the right handlers for the linux kernel.

4.-Things you need:
    I used the precompiled binaries, you can find them in the website I mentioned in the first point. The latest at the time I'm writing this is:

Precompiled driver for X V0.8.7

Also, you will need to copy udev-rules, the file you need can be found also in the same website, inside a sources tarball:

X driver sources V0.8.4

5.-Installation
    Download precompiled binaries.

Code:
    tar -zxvf evtouch-0.8.7.tar.gz
    cd evtouch-0.8.7
    sudo cp evtouch_drv.so /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/
    Open /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add this lines:

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "touchscreen"
        Driver "evtouch"
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/evtouch_event"
        Option "DeviceName" "touchscreen"
        Option "MinX" "4095"
        Option "MinY" "4095"
        Option "MaxX" "0"
        Option "MaxY" "0"
        Option "ReportingMode" "Raw"
        Option "Emulate3Buttons"
        Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
        Option "SendCoreEvents" "On"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "dummy"
        Driver "void"
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    EndSection
    If Min/Max values don't work correctly for you, you'll have to adjust that values manually (calibration application doesn't work, the author of the sources himself has stated that, at least at the writing of this how to).

Now search for "ServerLayout" section in the same file, and add this lines just before EndSection

Code:
    	InputDevice     "touchscreen"   "CorePointer"
    	InputDevice 	"dummy"
    Note that Section "InputDevice" with Identifier "dummy" and InputDevice "dummy" are only needed if you use xorg > 7.2.

Next, you have to find your monitors name:

Code:
    cat /proc/bus/input/devices
    you'll get something like this:

Code:
    I: Bus=0003 Vendor=04e7 Product=0020 Version=0100
    N: Name="Elo TouchSystems, Inc. Elo TouchSystems 2700 IntelliTouch(r) USB Touchmonitor Interface"
    P: Phys=usb-0000:00:10.1-1/input0
    S: Sysfs=/class/input/input2
    H: Handlers=js0 event2
    B: EV=b
    B: KEY=10000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    B: ABS=100 3
    Next, you have to add udev-rules to your system, download and extract "X driver sources V0.8.4":

Code:
    tar -jxvf xf86-input-evtouch-0.8.4.tar.bz2
    cd xf86-input-evtouch-0.8.4
    Modify 69-touchscreen.rules file for your monitor, check the bold letters (or if you are using the same monitor as me, I will paste my file for you):

Code:
    # Evtouch udev.rules
    #
    # Because Evtouch can't autoprobe devices we assume that we only
    # Have one device so we can make it like this :P
    #
    # List here your touchscreen, check if it works  and send it to rpms_AT_ilmi_DOT_fi
    # Name can be found in /proc/bus/input/devices (In console make command 'cat /proc/bus/input/devices')
    #
    # Tested on Telepeak  Model 800-Y-Y-V (http://www.telepeak.com). Should work on most eGalax based stuff!
    KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{name}=="Elo TouchSystems, Inc. Elo TouchSystems 2700 IntelliTouch(r) USB Touchmonitor Interface", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    #
    # This could be also like this (eGalax Inc. USB TouchController)
    # KERNEL=="event*", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0eef", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", SYMLINK+="input/evtouch_event"
    #
    Now, copy the file to /etc/udev/rules.d/

That should be it, restart your system, and it should work.

Beans

Lightbulb Elo Touch Screen Intelli Touch (Serial)

Ubuntu 7.10 comes with the elographics driver. There's no need to download any drivers. For my ELO serial touch screen I only had to add the following to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Then do ctrl-alt-backspace to restart the X server.

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier "Touchscreen"
            Driver     "elographics"
            Option     "Device"     "/dev/ttyS1"
            Option     "AlwaysCore"
            Option     "screeno"    "0"
            Option     "MinX" "4024"
            Option     "MaxX" "-18"
            Option     "MinY" "4026"
            Option     "MaxY" "23"
            Option     "UntouchDelay" "3"
            Option     "ReportDelay" "1"
    EndSection
    In the Section "ServerLayout" add the line:

Code:
            InputDevice     "Touchscreen"
    You'll have to figure out the correct calibration numbers for you screen (MaximumXPosition, etc).

To determine which port my touchscreen was connected to I just did
    Code:
    cat < /dev/ttyS1
    and then moved my finger across the screen. If the cat spit out a bunch of garbage I figured it was the correct port.
    Last edited by buntu92104; November 15th, 2007 at 10:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Elo Touch Screen Intelli Touch (USB)

*deleted*
    Last edited by Ralphie; November 28th, 2007 at 12:55 AM. Reason: not on topic

Beans

Hello there,
    I have a trouble make ELO touchscreen (USB) work under Ubuntu 7.10 . I have tried solution provided here, but ubuntu can not start after modification of xorg.conf . Error message is : "The greeter application appears to be crashing. Attemting to use a different one".

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't have a clue what this is about but nicolas1, you should post your xorg.conf.

When the greeter crashes, let it disable itself. Then press Ctrl + Alt + F1 and type your username and password. Then you can edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

X will load with bulletproof x configuration, then you can edit your file and upload them here.

Beans

Hi,
    xconf file is same as after installation of ubuntu 7.10 with modification according to evtouch instruction. I tried evtouch binary 0.8.7.
    Also how is it possible to use "ubuntu 7.10" elographics.so driver with usb touchscreen, how xconf must be modified?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm sorry nicolas1 but I don't actually know anything about this. You can try sending a message to the original poster, chuy_max

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nicolas1 View Post
    Hi,
    xconf file is same as after installation of ubuntu 7.10 with modification according to evtouch instruction. I tried evtouch binary 0.8.7.
    Also how is it possible to use "ubuntu 7.10" elographics.so driver with usb touchscreen, how xconf must be modified?
    Post xorg.conf and error logs, you can find the logs in /var/log, maybe Xorg.0.log, but check others as well to look for useful messages.

buntu92104: Can you please post your monitor model?, I couldn't make mine work with that specific driver. There is one official driver from ELO but it works for old kernels <= 2.6.17, and as you know, feisty has a newer kernel, however, I tried it in dapper and it worked great.

Beans

Thanks, it works fine now!
    Problem was my mistake.
    By the way, how to run calibration program? What software packets are required to do it?

Beans

Hello
    I have an Edge10 TS700 Touchscreen monitor and am wondering how to make it work in Ubuntu. Urgently. This is for a friend whose OS choice may well depend on this screen working!:-O

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast