Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO - BT Voyager 105

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

HOWTO - BT Voyager 105

HOWTO – Install BT Voyager modem drivers

Anybody in the UK who has signed up for broadband from the big ISP's (BT, AOL, etc) will find that their 'free' modem isn't technically a modem. These 'modems' are what we in the Linux world call Winmodems, because they require a software based driver to mess with all the 00101101's instead of using a hardware chip found in other modems.

These modems are usually fine for day-to-day work such as web browsing and e-mail. They plug into your computer using USB instead of Ethernet. Other than the fact they can sometimes have high ping times, they are perfect for large scale distribution.

The problems start when you want to start using your USB modem with Ubuntu. Companies like BT haven't released any drivers for Linux so the community has made a reverse-engineered driver.

In this HowTo, I will walk you through the installation of the eciadsl driver.

Step 1) Get everything set up.

If this is your first dive into the Linux world, some of this tutorial may seem strange and archaic. Don't worry because I'm going to hold your hand all the way through and try my best to explain each step.

So then, before we really start, you will need to get hold of some physical things;
    • A nice cool and refreshing drink
    • A computer/partition/friend that has access to the Internet
    • A blank floppy disk/zip drive/USB stick/CD-R/ or something to transfer media from one place to another.
    • And a stockpile of patience
    • Unplug the modem from the USB port

Step 2) Acquiring the software

With your friends computer, download the file http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/download....11-1_i386.deb and the file http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...untu1_i386.deb from the Internet.

Once those two files are download; burn them to a CD using your favourite CD burning program, or transfer them to a USB drive. The aim is to get this media somehow onto your Ubuntu install.

Log into your Ubuntu computer and go to Places > Home Folder. Now open the device the used to transfer the media. Simply drag and drop the files from the CD to the Home Folder. Those files are now safe on your Ubuntu installation.

Step 3) Installing the buggers

Because this HowTo is sort of breaking away from the way programs are normally installed, we are going to have to whip out the trusty Terminal program. Fear not, the things you will be typing are probably the most basic commands in Linux.

Start off by going to Applications > Accessories > Terminal. This will bring up the Terminal program. The only text in the black window should be your username @ the name of your computer followed by a :~$ . This tells us that the command line is ready and waiting for orders. Start off by typing in

Code:
    ls
    That is LS, but in lowercase; not an i. When you type that command in, you will see every file and folder that is inside your home folder.

Next, we are going to install the files you took off the floppy disk. At the time of writing this the files were called:

eciadsl-usermode_0.11-1_i386.deb
    and
    pppoe_3.5-4ubuntu1_i386.deb

To install the files type in the Terminal window:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i pppoe_3.5-4ubuntu1_i386.deb
    Let that install (few seconds) then type in:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i eciadsl-usermode_0.11-1_i386.deb
    Like before, some text should come flying downwards.

Phew! OK that is probably the hardest bit gone now - take a nice sip of your cool refreshing drink that you got from Step 1)

We have now installed the drivers to the system, what is left now is configuring the driver.

Step 4) Configuring the driver

In the Terminal type in:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/hotplug/blacklist
    This will bring up a text editor. In the file, add the word dabusb to the end. This will tell the system not to try and load up the USB modem when it boots (that is eciadsl's job from on). Save, exit and restart the computer.

Once you have rebooted and are logged in, open the terminal again and type in:

Code:
    eciadsl-config-tk
    This will bring up a very ugly configuration program. This is where the fun begins. In all the text boxes, fill them according to whatever they should be:-

user name: You should have been given an e-mail user name when you signed up
    password: [I]Whatever[I]
    provider: British Telecom
    DNS1: Accept default
    DNS2: Accept default
    VPI: 0
    VCI: 38
    modem type: BT Voyager 105
    VID1/PID1/VID2/PID2: accept defaults
    modem chipset: GS7470
    synch file: /etc/eciadsl/gs7470_synch03.bin
    PPP mode: Accept default
    is DHCP used? no
    is a static ip used? no
    Once all that is filled in, check it again and click the green Create Config button. Your done with that window. Now plug in your USB Modem and type in:-
    Code:
    /usr/bin/eciadsl-start
    This should make the lights come on and flash about for a bit. If so, the Internet is now your oyster!

Beans

Re: HOWTO - BT Voyager 105

Brilliant! I'm new to Linux and Ubuntu and I made this work. Thanks.

One question though: Do I have to perform the eciadsl-start everytime I need to dial-up?

Beans

Yup... i think it's possible to make it launch on start up, but i haven't managed it yet.

Remember if you dual boot with windows, you need to disconnect the modem to restart it every time you switch OS.

This method will work with many MANY more modems. (59 to be exact, plus 3 possibly)

Check here for the complete list:
    http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/modems.php
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans

All is well untill the "gedit..." command. The box that comes up is empty.
    Where should "dubusb" be typed?

Also...after rebooting - when the command "eciadsl-config-tk" is entered... it says i need to be rooted??

Please help,

Andy

Beans

Can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Just type it on the first line of the empty box but I've never needed to do the dabusb on ubuntu so you can probably forget that bit.
    You need to run eciadsl-config-tk and in fact any "eciadsl-" command as root so do
    Code:
    sudo eciadsl-config-tk

Beans

Cheers for all your help guys, almost there - however, seemed to have stumbled at the last hurdle.

I've configured my modem and typed in the /usr/bin/eciadsl-start command. - and am greeted with the following error:

[Eci Adsl 4/5] Connecting to provider
    nice: cannot set niceness: permission denied.
    ERROR: Failed to connect.

Can anyone help! So close yet so far!!!

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Try

Code:
    sudo /usr/bin/eciadsl-start command

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by welsh_spud View Post
    Try

Code:
    sudo /usr/bin/eciadsl-start command
    Tried this... no error message displayed, however - "Connecting to server" is continuously displayed... giving me the impression that it cannot connect to server.

Now... I asked PlusNet (my broadband provider) for my connection password (I've lost mine!) and they replied saying it was the same as the password I use to log into the member centre on the PlusNet site. This doesnt seem right to me... do you think this could be the wrong password - hence not my connection issues?

P.S. EciAdsl 1/5, 2/5 and 3/5 complete successfully.

Any further help much appreciated.

THanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

hi andy it sounds like the same problem i have with my voyager 100 modem
    i need to use the connect command twice to get online
    first i use
    Code:
    sudo eciadsl-start
    then wait a bit while it hangs on the ? 3rd stage then i press ctrl + c at the same time to stop it and then type in
    Code:
    sudo eciadsl-doctor
    and then it connects up im not sure if this is the same for everyone but ive noticed a few others have to do the same

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast