Thread: Distro Reviews

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Distro Reviews

There has been some concern recently about the unjust and unqualified bad press reviews concerning Ubuntu, but I found this at Distrowatch and find it to be very encouraging in its perception of Ubuntu.

You'll notice the Pro's and Con's at the bottom, I don't even know what Launchpad or Rosetta is, (in relation to Ubuntu) so it ain't hurting me and it doesn't sound infectious... so I'm not going to worry about it.

Have a look at it in comparison to the other distro's... Ubuntu is definitely the way to go.

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Beans

Re: Distro Reviews

its all on perspective though, and individual experience will vary.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    its all on perspective though, and individual experience will vary.
    Sorry, this wasn't intended to be a distro-bash thread, I don't like them myself and agree with variety.

I would rather this thread be deleted than have it turn into a distro-bash, it was only to redress the balance on some unfair criticism directed at Ubuntu recently.

Is the updating of PCLinuxOS as hit and miss as indicated in that review?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think you will find that many of the negative reviews are done by fan-boys/girls of a distro that is losing ground to Ubuntu in the popularity game. For some reason, rather than approach Ubuntu with an open mind and actually try to see why it is so popular, they instead try to find the little things that are wrong with it, sometimes going as far as to make up BS and half-truths to justify their dislike of Ubuntu.

Its kind of sad really. I've used several different distros over the years and really liked many of them, but I never let my feelings over a distro dictate my opinions of other distros or let it prevent me from trying yet another one out. If I had, I never would have ended up with Ubuntu in the first place, and even though I currently think Ubuntu is the best distro out there, if something else catches my eye, I'm not against giving it a shot.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM