Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Open Week

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ubuntu Open Week

Jono Bacon, Community Manager for Canonical, recently announced that the Ubuntu Open Week will take place the week after Gutsy is released (that would be tomorrow!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jono Bacon's blog
    Ubuntu Open Week is a-coming
    Mon 22nd Oct - Sat 27th Oct @ #ubuntu-classroom on Freenode

With the up-and-coming release of Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon coming, I am pleased to announce another Ubuntu Open Week, this time taking place the week following the Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon launch - Mon 22nd Oct - Sat 27th Oct on #ubuntu-classroom on Freedode. The sessions take place from 15.00 UTC to 21.00UTC [That is 10:00am to 4:00pm here in Alabama.]
    There is a lot of info at the ubuntu wiki including session descriptions and times.

Unfortunately, my desktop is down with a melted power supply into my ATX connector on the mobo. So I am not sure when I will install GG, but it will be what goes onto the desktop when it is revived.

Michael
    Michael Ramm, GSEC
    The 1-Man IT Department | Ubuntu User #16666 | Linux User #451972
    AlabamaTeam LoCo: Forums | Wiki | Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu Open Week

That looks really cool. I believe I will be attending a couple.
    Alabama LoCo

Don't just use Linux, Learn Linux please refer to Proper Documentation. http://wiki.ubuntu.com http://doc.gwos.org http://ubuntuguide.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Think I'll wait a while before jumping to GG. Seems to be a lot of confusion atm as far as downloads, installs and so forth. Maybe when the weather is a bit better.
    Registered Linux User #414589
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinsLair View Post
    Think I'll wait a while before jumping to GG. Seems to be a lot of confusion atm as far as downloads, installs and so forth. Maybe when the weather is a bit better.
    Today has been a rough day on my side of the state weather wise

I haven't had a single problem yet with Gutsy, however I am loving this Compiz Fusion now that it supports my graphics card.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinsLair View Post
    I grabbed mine on BT during the night last night. Was going to try out the Live CD on the laptop today, and maybe put it on another machine this weekend. Not really sure yet.
    Michael Ramm, GSEC

Beans
    Distro

Oh, I'd like to give it a try. Just want to make sure that any bugs that come up will be fixed by then. Feisty is still doing quite well for me atm so there's no rush yet.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Beans
    Hidden!

I am very please with Gutsy. I rebooted to it after the official release and updated, so now everything is working great. I can't say to much about compiz/Fusion because I just don't use it. It's cool to play with but I really just have no use for it. Besides it still has some issues and really lowers the frame rates of my games.
    Alabama LoCo

Don't just use Linux, Learn Linux please refer to Proper Documentation. http://wiki.ubuntu.com http://doc.gwos.org http://ubuntuguide.org

Beans
    Distro

Crane, did you use the update manager to upgrade or did you go the live cd route? Just curious. I'd like to give it a try but from all the issues I've been seeing, I'm a bit hesitent to give up a perfectly good running system at this point.

Beans
    Distro

I did the update manager and it did not like the Restricted Driver for my ATI x300 card in my laptop. It would not "use" it. I did a clean install and it worked great. CF is not supported with the x300, but I doubt that i would use it daily it it did work.

I am scouring eBay to replace my mobo and PS to get my desktop back up. I installed GG on my ThinkPad T43 work laptop to start playing with it.

Nice upgrade, if I do say so myself.

Michael
    Michael Ramm, GSEC

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Ubuntu Open Week

There was a good discussion on LoCo teams on Day 1 of Open Week. The chat logs are here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/...tsy/LoCoTeams2

I think that we really need to get some things planned for the Alabama LoCo to make it real for everyone. I know that it is nice to go to a forum post or an IRC chat. [This may have happened in the Alabama LoCo meetings on IRC...I have not been able to attend due to teeball commitments, but hopefully that will change now that it is over.]

I think that we should look at some of the other LoCo forums and see what they are doing. Maybe plan a meeting in one of the three major cities, or maybe a meeting at the same time in the three cities...I don't know right this second.

This really hit me hard:
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo Chat during Open Week
    21:11 < atoponce> when you ask anyone what makes ubuntu ubuntu, it's the community
    I think that we need to make a community here in Alabama to spread the Ubuntu goodness to all, ESPECIALLY now that GG has been released (and is getting rave reviews). This is a rare year that ALL three major OS vendors are upgrading their OSes. Apple is slated to unveil Leopard on Friday and it is the last OS upgrade for the year. We need to show why GG is superior to Vista (not real hard) and then show why it is superior to Leopard (which may be a little tougher) and spread the word about Ubuntu.

Michael
    Michael Ramm, GSEC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast