Thread: Is new mac OS coming with Blu-Ray disk drive??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is new mac OS coming with Blu-Ray disk drive??

Hi, is new mac os coming with Blu-Ray disk drive? What about our ubuntu working with Blu-Ray so far?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is new mac OS coming with Blu-Ray disk drive??

Hi there,

Depending on the write mode you require, dvd+rw-tools has had blu-ray support for a while now. Although I've never tried it myself, you should have no problems reading & writing blu-ray discs, but you may have trouble with some of the format's more advanced features. I presume the same applies to OSX ... I'd be surprised (to say the least) if MacOS simply refused to talk to a USB blu-ray drive, for example.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for your reply. I asked because Apple is one of the Blu-Ray discs supporters. I thought new mac os will come with Blu-ray drive instead of conventional DVD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey again,

I wasn't quite sure what you meant by that ... an OS is just a piece of software.

In any case, Leopard (I presume that's what you're referring to) is little more than a minor update to a pre-existing operating system. It won't come with any hardware in the box ... just a DVD, with a "10.5" on it instead of a "10.4".

As far as blu-ray goes, it's hard to say what Apple's plans are. They're a notoriously secretive bunch!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi, do you know Mac system going to come with Leopard will have Blu-Ray drive, because, hope you know that Mac is one of the Blu-Ray supporters.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I hadn't heard that. Thanks. I figured it'd be next year at the earliest, hehe.