Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Dissapointed in Linux yet again.:(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Very Dissapointed in Linux yet again.:(

Quote Originally Posted by Kvark
    Rofl, I guess you could say that linux would break through on the desktop market if windows (or another propriarity closed source system) started using the linux kernel. But that wouldn't really be a Free Open Source Software GNU/Linux system anymore.
    Yes. There are a lot of programs a lot of variety with good ideas but none of them does the COMPLETE job. It's dificult to explain. I just think that if you want an os to break through, it has to be SO SIMPLE that you need loads of effort to develop this kinda thing that it will only be able in a huge commercial project (linux is too hard for 90% of the people, they want things to work without EVER having to type commands in a terminal) Anyway sorry for off topic I kinda ruined this page of the topic with spamming my opinion

My main point that didnt come clear in my previous post was: I realy like Ubuntu - it's the best distro I ever tryed and I'm pretty sure I'll stick with it if they keep their promise of the regular updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by sneax
    Yes. There are a lot of programs a lot of variety with good ideas but none of them does the COMPLETE job. It's dificult to explain. I just think that if you want an os to break through, it has to be SO SIMPLE that you need loads of effort to develop this kinda thing that it will only be able in a huge commercial project (linux is too hard for 90% of the people, they want things to work without EVER having to type commands in a terminal) Anyway sorry for off topic I kinda ruined this page of the topic with spamming my opinion

My main point that didnt come clear in my previous post was: I realy like Ubuntu - it's the best distro I ever tryed and I'm pretty sure I'll stick with it if they keep their promise of the regular updates
    MS-DOS wasn't too hard for its users, back in the day. And LOTS of people used DOS.

What determines "breakthrough" is "installed base." And yes, a large commercial corporation will play a part in that, by making linux desktop solutions cost-effective and desireable to large corporations, schools, universities, and other organizations....in exactly the same way that IBM made the PC (with MS-DOS!) attractive to those same entities.

Computers with the 8088 processor existed before the IBM PC, as hobbyists' toys. But it was when big business put them on every corporate desktop that things really took off, both in hardware and in software--operating system development, application development, and user-interface development.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by its_jon
    Wrong...... If Tiscali are dishing out thousands of Sagem usb modems that dont work with Ubuntu at the same time as Ubuntu disks appear on peoples doorsteps then the issue is highly relevant.
    Ubuntu disks don't just "appear" on people's doorsteps. That's AOL's schtick (in the USA), and it's a waste of money and materials. If you have an Ubuntu CD, it's probably because you asked for it.

Let's get something straight here: if you don't like the way Sagem's drivers work, why are you complaining here? It's not our problem, and whinging isn't going to get you any sympathy here. Like another poster said, find the Ubuntu Bugzilla, file a clear, polite report, and hope that somebody can package the driver properly. Either that, or save your flames for Sagem; it's their driver, and therefore, their problem.

I assume thousands of Ubuntu disks are also appearing on UK doorsteps ?
    Making assumptions is a bad habit.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by sneax
    Linux (on desktop!) will break through once there is a microsoft alike company, wanting to make an os based on linux, closed source, with a huge development team and with the purpose of making profit.
    I think perhaps you are using linux for the wrong reasons - linux isn't here to eventually replace window's dominance with another closed source based corporately owned product.

Allan

Beans

Linux will continue to grow in popularity as more businesses switch over. The reason people use Windows, and originally DOS is because thats what they learned to use at work. If you use linux at work, you'll be far more likely to use it at home....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coolclassic
    This topic is covered very well on these forums. The problem your are having is very common even with some experienced users. I use the same modem as you and it works perfectly. This thread has all the answers you need to get your modem working.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=45974
    hey thread starter i think you missed that post.

Beans

And thanks for all your help PeP during that thread.

My main problem was the constant switching between OS to try out each suggestion...... by the time I switched OS a few times I really had no idea what I had done and why,..... This is why I sugest someone piece together a file containing everything I need including instruction so I can boot into Ubuntu and start with the best chance of solving the problem in one go.
    I had to configure the same modem three years ago, (older drivers /kernel /everything) and at the time I was quite new to linux ...

I was lucky enough to hev to computers, so I didn't have to reboot, but I undersand you well, it is a painfull experience. But, it is very difficult to anticipate any misfunction or problem you might go through to give you a full resolution scheme. If you think it's worth it, print the few threads on he subject, the howto from the eagle-usb website and download anything you might need.

Good luck then .

A better solution is to bring a linux "guru" at home so he can help you directly.

Anyway, if you post a the output of the non-working command, you will always find someone here to help you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

And thanks for all your help PeP during that thread.

My main problem was the constant switching between OS to try out each suggestion...... by the time I switched OS a few times I really had no idea what I had done and why,..... This is why I sugest someone piece together a file containing everything I need including instruction so I can boot into Ubuntu and start with the best chance of solving the problem in one go.
    jon: i really think that u should try to check on other thread, maybe trying to get some "linux for dummies", if u don't get some really common command, or stuff from linux. trying to learn on the way, is the hardest way to learn anything.

i had used linux formally since last months of 2004. but, i had been in touch with linux maybe since 1996 or 1997. but right now i'm trying to get deep into it.

with ubuntu forums i found a community with some great people with a big will to help anyone. and right now i'm trying too to help anyone with a problem, according to my knowlegde. because nobody here is trying to f$%& with someone's problems. as this community work is:

1) ask for help
    2) give as many clues as you can
    3) if someone has the answer, is going to give u a howto, so u should try by yourself
    4) if that doen't work, go again to step 1) until you got it
    5) thank anyone involved with your answer to your problem

you're asking for help as a usual winbugs user:

1) a file "with the solution"
    2) copy/move/install
    3) if it doesn't work, try another file!

that kind of solving method generaly works only in M$. maybe is hard with no internet. but be patient, i know how hard is to try to get help form internet witout internet access. i hope u could have your problem solved. cheer up!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Alanmw
    The remark about just buying another modem is also uncalled for. I am a pensioner on a limited budget and that is why I thought HH5.04 was ideal. I can't just go out and buy a special 'smothing'. My computer is a hand me down from my son and is a source of much enjoyment to me and I have been interested in Linux for a long time but not had much luck with getting it going. There is always some thing in my system that will not work!!
    I often suggest that people buy Linux compatible hardware when the hardware they have doesn't work. I call it "the real price of Linux." Its better than not helping them at all, and its cheaper than buying a new Mac (if their intention is to not use Windows).
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus
    ...play wmv and wma files, without resorting to sneaky tricks like the ubuntuguide?
    How is the Ubuntu Guide a sneaky trick?
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast