Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu makes me cry, should I give up on Linux?

Beans

Ubuntu makes me cry, should I give up on Linux?

Mistake No. 1: I decided to install Gutsy Gibbon, even though it's not complete.

Mistake No. 2: I didn't give Windows very much space, because I assumed I'd be able to magically share space between Ubuntu's /home partition and Windows itself.

Now, I am up a damn creek! I can't even browse the web in Gutsy, it gives me the white frozen screen of doom. (Everytime I have to unplug my computer to reboot, I die a little inside.)

Should I install another distro? (Please don't be offended by my suggesting this, boys and girls...I love Ubuntu's community), or should I install Feisty?

If not either of the above, how on earth can I get my computer back into a somewhat usable configuration for windows again?

My HDD had some serious nip and tuck, here's the juicy details:

Windows XP NTSF Partition, only 15GB (Was supposed to be 20, but I made a mistake due to lack of sleep)
    /root EXT3 15GB
    swap 2GB
    a whopping 147GB /home EXT3 partition.

If I decide to go with another distro, will I need to delete the Ubuntu partitions? It's all Linux, but damn! I'm confused!

Any help will be appreciated, a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu makes me cry, should I give up on Linux?

well i can offer moral surpport (if thats any help) ive given up on linux many times but! i have always had the curiosity to come back...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

w0w you've been through a lot buddy, well seeing as Gutsy's big debut is only in a few days, you can either wait and just repartition everything and install Gutsy, or (if ur like me and can't wait) I'd say Download Feisty, just make sure you repartition everything and Start Fresh~!, take ur time and don't give up, believe me I've wrecked my box PLENTY of times, but I'm still here =] and that much smarter XD

GoodLuck!!

Beans

Mistake No. 1: I decided to install Gutsy Gibbon, even though it's not complete.
    Release date is on Oct. 18, so try downloading it again when it comes out.

However, try again with this partitioning scheme:

-Windows NTFS (don't change that anymore)
    - swap 512MB
    - / takes remaining space

Note that it's / & not /root. If you do it as above, you should be able to boot into your system.

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I would get rid of everything and then if you need "Windows", install that and then install Feisty and let Gutsy age a while before you attempt that again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kamitsukai View Post
    well i can offer moral surpport (if thats any help)
    Thanks, it's a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by dakuran View Post
    w0w you've been through a lot buddy, well seeing as Gutsy's big debut is only in a few days, you can either wait and just repartition everything and install Gutsy, or (if ur like me and can't wait) I'd say Download Feisty, just make sure you repartition everything and Start Fresh~!, take ur time and don't give up, believe me I've wrecked my box PLENTY of times, but I'm still here =] and that much smarter XD

GoodLuck!!
    How should I go about installing Feisty? Can I just use the LiveCD and mess around with the partitions there?
    If I were to try a distro like Mandriva, would I need to repartition everything first?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I would install Ubuntu over windows. You don't need windows. You weren't born with it, and you can surely live and die someday without it too.

I just did a reinstall of Fedora 7 yesterday evening. What a breeze! I can't imagine Ubuntu requiring a degree in rocket science to install either. Never use a beta release (e.g. Gutzy) unless you want to be a tester. Even on the official release date I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

OK, let me try. I've reinstalled Ubuntu on my box many times over the past two years (has it been that long??? You can use the live CD and delete the ubuntu partition as part of the installation. Use the example given and also think about a /home partition. That way your stuff is safe in a reinstallation (I think).
    Early 2011 Mac Book Pro/OS X/4 GB RAM/750 GB HDD
    Linux user #431435 | Ubuntu user #86790

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by angryfirelord View Post
    Release date is on Oct. 18, so try downloading it again when it comes out.

However, try again with this partitioning scheme:

-Windows NTFS (don't change that anymore)
    - swap 512MB
    - / takes remaining space

Note that it's / & not /root. If you do it as above, you should be able to boot into your system.
    Yeah, it's just /.

Quote Originally Posted by wpshooter View Post
    I would get rid of everything and then if you need "Windows", install that and then install Feisty and let Gutsy age a while before you attempt that again.
    Agreed, it'll be a while before I get up the guts for gutsy again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jpyanowski View Post
    OK, let me try. I've reinstalled Ubuntu on my box many times over the past two years (has it been that long??? You can use the live CD and delete the ubuntu partition as part of the installation. Use the example given and also think about a /home partition. That way your stuff is safe in a reinstallation (I think).
    Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitney67 View Post
    I would install Ubuntu over windows. You don't need windows. You weren't born with it, and you can surely live and die someday without it too.

I just did a reinstall of Fedora 7 yesterday evening. What a breeze! I can't imagine Ubuntu requiring a degree in rocket science to install either. Never use a beta release (e.g. Gutzy) unless you want to be a tester. Even on the official release date I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.
    You are probably right about windows, but I'm not where you're at yet in my knowledge, if that makes sense.
    I am on Windows right now, that's how I am asking you guys for help.
    Until I am confident about Linux, sadly, windows will be my crutch.

NO more betas! 100% agreed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast