Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Google

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Question Advice on Google

Hey Guys

This post might be a little off topic, but I thought people here might appreciate why I'm concerned. Its a well known fact that Google collects personal information about its users. What we don't know, is what exactly they do with it. Who gets to see it? By law, in the UK anyway, we are entitled to see ALL of out own personal information because of the Data Protection Act. Anyhow, I was wandering around the Google page, and came across the Web History section. I don't know if this is new or was implemented a long while ago, but it was unsettling. For those who are unaware, the Google web history section stores every single search you put into Google, and the page you visited from that search. There was a 10month list on my web history. I hate the fact that Google and whoever else THEY allow, not us, can view the data. I was just wondering what people thought of this? And can anyone suggest any other search engines?

Thanks Guys

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Advice on Google

Quote Originally Posted by drpepper View Post
    can anyone suggest any other search engines?
    clusty.com

Also, if you *must* use google, disable cookies...
    Not even tinfoil can save us now...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm currently using the iGoogle thing as my homepage as its convenient. But I decided just to make my own, its only RSS feeds for info and links to email. Clusty looks good, thanks aks44

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm currently using the iGoogle thing as my homepage as its convenient. But I decided just to make my own, its only RSS feeds for info and links to email.
    netvibes.com?
    Not even tinfoil can save us now...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I turned web history off a while ago, I'd rather not have my searches available.

Beans
    Hidden!

What you want is black box search.

http://www.blackboxsearch.com/

Disabling cookies are good, but the search page will still log some info (ip, date and time, language, browser, etc). Searching through proxy is the way to go.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I've had firefox ask me what to do with cookies for a while. It works quite well and I clear my history etc regular but this still doesn't help with data on their side, ah well. Black box seems good too, gonna give them a go for a while and then decide. Netvibes is good but seems a bit overkill, lol. Still worth a go tho!

Cheers Guys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by aks44 View Post
    i've been using netvibes for almost two years and i cannot live without it. no, seriously.

Beans

I don't care. There's nothing I've got to hide.
    The moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hey Guys

This post might be a little off topic, but I thought people here might appreciate why I'm concerned. Its a well known fact that Google collects personal information about its users. What we don't know, is what exactly they do with it. Who gets to see it? By law, in the UK anyway, we are entitled to see ALL of out own personal information because of the Data Protection Act. Anyhow, I was wandering around the Google page, and came across the Web History section. I don't know if this is new or was implemented a long while ago, but it was unsettling. For those who are unaware, the Google web history section stores every single search you put into Google, and the page you visited from that search. There was a 10month list on my web history. I hate the fact that Google and whoever else THEY allow, not us, can view the data. I was just wondering what people thought of this? And can anyone suggest any other search engines?

Thanks Guys
    You know you can delete and disable your Web History, right?
    "When you think you have all the answers, Life changes the questions..."
    Registered Linux User # 419353

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast