Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell & Gobuntu, our chance to demand open source drivers?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dell & Gobuntu, our chance to demand open source drivers?

As many of you may know Dell has been selling Ubuntu machines for a while, and will inevitably selling 7.10 soon.

Gobuntu, a distribution of Ubuntu containing only free (as in freedom) software, are to be released along with the 7.10 release.

Would this be the best chance to finally demand open source drivers? I have just submitted an idea on Dell's Idea Storm web-site: http://www.dellideastorm.com/article...sion_of_Ubuntu asking Gobuntu to be supported with free and open source drivers and firmware.

When the driver and hardware documentation are open, the possibilities are endless, it would in effect means any Linux distro are also supported, along side with any other OS: BSD, Solaris, etc.

What do you think?
    Registered Linux User #404403 - Ubuntu User #19426

Beans

Re: Dell & Gobuntu, our chance to demand open source drivers?

Who wants to buy a computer where your hardware works crummy, and you have no ability to play and non-open format media.

Give up 3d gaming, DVD's, and music thats not .ogg.

No thanks all you open source purists can sit by yourself and watch your computers compile for entertainment.

Beans
    Hidden!

While in theory its a great idea it wont happen. The vast majority of people want interoperability. This will at time mean working with things that are closed. Dell and Canonical both know this. We can push as much as we want for totally free everything but IMO its not gonna happen.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No as long as they made hardware support for it people can install propriety codecs or whatever. Being a purely free distro doesn't prevent you to install non-free stuff on it.

As far as I know of now on Ubuntu you got to install w32codecs yourself anyway, so I don't see why floss hardware support is a bad thing?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    no ability to play and non-open format media.
    I thought that all the gstreamer plugins are under free licences - http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/gstrea...me?view=markup

w32codecs are for eejits.
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I am resisting the urge to post a very angry post in response to :

Who wants to buy a computer where your hardware works crummy, and you have no ability to play and non-open format media.

No thanks all you open source purists can sit by yourself and watch your computers compile for entertainment.
    Linux was built on open source principles. The very reason that your hardware works crummy with opensource is that manufacturers don't release their drivers under an open source friendly license.

If Dell supported Gobuntu, it would increase the pressure on device manufacturers to release OSS drivers. Thus, this would enable 3D gaming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post

lol , that was hardcore.

Yea , I really don't see the difference whether Nvidia wants me to agree to some crap i never read anyway or not , BUT I do care what Microsoft and GPL say , As far as drivers i could care less , on the other hand if the fully open drivers worked as well as the proprietary ones , then I would use the open drivers BEFORE even looking at the alternative.

But right now on 5 machines all running 7.04 and a few Dual booting with either windows or another GNU/Linux distro I'm using all open drivers.

Much thanks to the folks who put work into that , It's greatly appreciated.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89 View Post
    I thought that all the gstreamer plugins are under free licences - http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/gstrea...me?view=markup

w32codecs are for eejits.
    Some of the gstreamer plugins are in universe and multiverse due to distribution problems. A free license doesn't make something distributable everywhere because different countries have different laws , software patents and encryption laws are good examples of this.

And there are plenty of people who don't use gstreamer, it's definitely not everyone's idea of a great multimedia backend.
    grunty gubbins

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by julian67 View Post
    Some of the gstreamer plugins are in universe and multiverse due to distribution problems. A free license doesn't make something distributable everywhere because different countries have different laws , software patents and encryption laws are good examples of this.

And there are plenty of people who don't use gstreamer, it's definitely not everyone's idea of a great multimedia backend.
    But does it matter? People can install non-free stuff on Gobuntu at their own choice, which you need to do on Ubuntu to get things to do anyway.

The point to ask for support for Gobuntu is to actually demand vendors to actually support it.

Look the whole vendor to consumer relationship is dodgy these days. They don't really take demands from end users, but computer manufacturers like Dell.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnz View Post
    But does it matter? People can install non-free stuff on Gobuntu at their own choice, which you need to do on Ubuntu to get things to do anyway.

The point to ask for support for Gobuntu is to actually demand vendors to actually support it.

Look the whole vendor to consumer relationship is dodgy these days. They don't really take demands from end users, but computer manufacturers like Dell.
    If your going to add non-free stuff to it then why bother to use Gobuntu. That's only for the extreme purist who refuses to run anything not extremely Free.

And the gstreamer plugins would not qualify.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast