Thread: Counter Strike Source - Steam Download, need Half life?

Hybrid View

Beans

Counter Strike Source - Steam Download, need Half life?

Hi,
    I'm interested in downloading CS source from the Steam website. I used to play a long time ago but haven't in a while, I remember back then I needed half life to play CS. If I just purchase CS source, will I be able to play it? Or must I purchase half life separately too?

Beans

Re: Counter Strike Source - Steam Download, need Half life?

Quote Originally Posted by nb123 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm interested in downloading CS source from the Steam website. I used to play a long time ago but haven't in a while, I remember back then I needed half life to play CS. If I just purchase CS source, will I be able to play it? Or must I purchase half life separately too?
    Yes. You DON'T need HL to play CS:S.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Re: Counter Strike Source - Steam Download, need Half life?

I just wanted to ask a question but didn't want to start a new topic...

If you use wine to run steam is there a possibility that they might ban my account because they think I am cheating or something?

Beans

I have not heard of banning because of linux, im running 1.6 via cedega, yeah wine annoyed me, check the appdb and you'll find all the info there, have heard of some games having that but not cs

Also its worth the risk no, rather than having xp on a partition eck.

Beans

Why are you using wine? Your better off just getting a copy of winodws XP and playing CSS that way.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by kapellen421 View Post
    Why are you using wine? Your better off just getting a copy of winodws XP and playing CSS that way.
    I don't have Windows XP and I am not going to buy a copy. I am also not a software pirate. I do have a steam account though.

Beans

I dont think thats the point now is it. Linux gaming isnt about giving up and going back to the devil. Its more about fighting the dragon and converting the fire into a sweet paradise where gaming and linux can work together. Now that was a bit but still serves a point, people use ubuntu because it better, cheaper and well differnt + not so bs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iNPUt- View Post
    I dont think thats the point now is it. Linux gaming isnt about giving up and going back to the devil. Its more about fighting the dragon and converting the fire into a sweet paradise where gaming and linux can work together. Now that was a bit but still serves a point, people use ubuntu because it better, cheaper and well differnt + not so bs.
    Linux != gaming. I tried wine and CSS and it was horrible. You can easily get windows XP home from newegg.com for under 100 dollars. You might even find it a hell of a lot cheaper from eBay. If you are a university student, they may have a deal with Microsoft to get software for cheap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Don't diss the power of the community man!
    Linux kicks the crap out of XP and Vista. My dad has an MSDN licence for his work, so I have used both extensively and they are both terrible!