Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC or Game?.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

PC or Game?.

Is there a practical use for Compiz or is it just for fun and should it be put in the Games Menu.
    What can I do that I can`t already do in Ubuntu that will make my time on PC more efficient/productive by using Compiz Fusion.
    Are computers changing to becoming electronic toys that do other stuff! as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: PC or Game?.

I don't think it belongs in the games menu, it's not a game, it is more like a desktop enhancement or theme. It doesn't really have a practical use that I have found, it's just eye-candy.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i do find expose or scale plugins very usefull
    and i do like to think that they have improved myproductivity.
    i would defenately not put compiz in the games area. sure, you can play around with it but it is not meant as a game. it is eye candy, visual upgrade to your desktop experience.

-grubby is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!

compiz-fusion isn't a game, it doesn't belong in the games menu. Its eye-candy that I have found no practical use for either

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

its not a game, but i do play around with it. Its naturally under the System>Prefernces tab for a reason. I help me work more effeciantly I would say. as it allows me to set differnet behaviors for windows, and the cube function is great for working on many things at once.

it has no practical use, and just wastes prosessing power and electrisaty.it should be disabled by defalt. aswell it looks ugly, simpler is better
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by hessiess View Post
    it has no practical use, and just wastes prosessing power and electrisaty.it should be disabled by defalt. aswell it looks ugly, simpler is better
    Functionality alone doesn't gain market share.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well I disagree with a lot of people here. I think that Compiz-Fusion is a welcome enhancement to the desktop and it does contribute to the functionality of the system. Scale, expo, windows previews (the thumbnail on minimized), annotate plugin, combined with the screen edge mapping make me more productive IMO. There are other plugins that are just "flash" like wobbly windows and the cube (both of which I like ) but many are really helpful to folks. To a certain degree I'd also say the eye candy is necessary in the face of OSX which has this functional desktop and does it very well, people just expect a certain level of flash and metacity alone doesn't really do it.
    Last edited by starcraft.man; October 14th, 2007 at 07:17 PM.

Beans

I think that Compize Fusion does increase productivity. However, I don't use it, as I'm not sure my computer could handle it and I like doing things the old fashioned way. On a related note, more eye candy for computers is inevitable, because it is human nature to seek things which are, in each person's eyes, beautiful (why humans do this is an interesting question, but alas, is offtopic). There is of course a limit to how much eye candy can be stuffed into a computing experience, but this varies with each person.

Like others, I agree Compize Fusion is not a game.
    Useless signature space.

Beans
    Hidden!

It does not increase productivity. (Though it can sooth you if you favor smooth fading menus instead of instant popups)
    IMHO, the novelty of it wears off VERY quick. Starts to become annoying, and slows down your computer a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast