Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Operating systems for really, really old computers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Operating systems for really, really old computers

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    Did you check your screen sync settings? I have an old laptop that was particularly stubborn about changing the display dimensions until I force-fed it the proper hsync and vsync settings.
    I had already changed the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to include the 1024x768 resolution as the first in the list (which, from my understanding, means the default).

In the Fluxbuntu forum somebody suggested changing the DefaultDepth from 24 to 16. That worked like a charm. After restarting X (Ctrl + Alt + Backspace) it now comes in 1024x768.

Luckily, since it's an old laptop I probably won't be doing so much in-depth visual work on it in the near future so going 16 probably isn't going to bother me.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    In the Fluxbuntu forum somebody suggested changing the DefaultDepth from 24 to 16.
    I saw that; I should have suggested that first. It always gets me on my old K6-2.

Blame that on Ubuntu though; the xorg (?) package is hard-wired to set the screen depth to 24. It would be nice if the self-configuration noticed that an old video card with little memory probably can't handle that much, and preset it to 16.

Oh well, everybody's got their pet peeves, I guess. ...
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

subs is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i have a old 286..... from before i was born..... it has a 200mb hdisk.... the unix version that is there on that is pretty good...... it has been in ship shape 4 nearly 20 yrs!!!!

LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Ok, I need something for my old laptop with only 128 MB of ram and an 800 MHZ P3, I want something debian based, but Fluxbuntu and DSL don't seem to work with the graphics card, any ideas. Ease of configuration would be nice, I don't like messing with text files. Win2K doesn't run too well on it, hell Win2K hardly can run some of my web apps well and firefox or IE 6 are hard for it.
    This signature is in Spanish when your not looking.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Monsuco View Post
    Ok, I need something for my old laptop with only 128 MB of ram and an 800 MHZ P3, I want something debian based, but Fluxbuntu and DSL don't seem to work with the graphics card, any ideas. Ease of configuration would be nice, I don't like messing with text files. Win2K doesn't run too well on it, hell Win2K hardly can run some of my web apps well and firefox or IE 6 are hard for it.
    Xubuntu may benefit from the hardware detection and configuration without having to go into the CLI as much as just about any fluxbox-based lite distro.

PCLinuxOS has a light version called TinyMe. It uses OpenBox, which is lighter than Gnome or KDE, but heavier than Fluxbox. TinyMe also has a Control Center for making most configuratiion and system changes.

It runs on older hardware pretty well (had it running on my PIw/MMX @233 w/128MB Ram) although not as snappy as Fluxbox-based distros.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Xubuntu may benefit from the hardware detection and configuration without having to go into the CLI as much as just about any fluxbox-based lite distro.
    Hmm, maybe if I use boot up manager to shut off all excess daemons Xubuntu would work. Are there any lighter browsers than FF, that has been one horrible app as far as ram is concerned. I know about the super light browsers (dillo, lynx, etc.) but they do not really support modern web pages, and I need plugins such as Java, Flash, Real, MP3, MPEG, etc.
    This signature is in Spanish when your not looking.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Monsuco View Post
    Hmm, maybe if I use boot up manager to shut off all excess daemons Xubuntu would work. Are there any lighter browsers than FF, that has been one horrible app as far as ram is concerned. I know about the super light browsers (dillo, lynx, etc.) but they do not really support modern web pages, and I need plugins such as Java, Flash, Real, MP3, MPEG, etc.
    I use Opera which works pretty well on my old system (P1w/MMX@233Mhz). Yes it takes a while to open up, but otherwise works pretty well so long as I don't open too many tabs. It is not as supported on websites as Firefox, but for the most part that has not been an issue for me yet. I have heard somebody say that Opera runs YouTube fine on a system similar to mine.

I cannot verify about SwiftFox, Kazehakase or SeaMonkey because I haven't tried any of them.
    Last edited by Dragonbite; December 8th, 2007 at 07:12 AM. Reason: misspelled "Opera"

Beans

Monsuco

Give antiX a try.
    Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways - the point is to change it.

antiX "Edelweißpiraten" - lean and mean. http://antix.mepis.com

Beans

I've got a P4 system with 128MB of ram that I'm putting togeather for my little girl. I'm wanting to use an Ubuntu based distro on it. It's an old P4 with RDRAM so a ram upgrade is out of the question. What would be the best distro for this.

Specs-
    1.5Ghz P4
    128MB RDRAM
    GeForce 6200 128

Looks like it has enough speed to handle Xubuntu and probably just enough memory too. Is there any way you can bump up the memory? If you can get 256Mb or more in there, you could probably handle a full Ubuntu Gnome desktop.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast