Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mezzo Desktop In Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Mezzo Desktop In Ubuntu

Out of curiosity, I decided to install the Mezzo desktop in Ubuntu from a repo which was posted earlier. After installing it, I began to do some exploring. I know that it is in Alpha stage and so will try to be reasonable. However, in terms of actual appearance, I rate Mezzo very, very low. If you ask me, I think that the default Ubuntu desktop is much more attractive. Secondly, navigating the menu is seriously flawed. ALL of the programs are just placed in one continuous menu, without any sub-menu or any sort of grouping. To further complicte matters, the menu items are NOT placed in alphabetical order. So, iagine how hard it is to find a program. I also dislike the fact that the desktop cannot be customized. As a result, I imagine that all Mezzo desktops will look the same (phew, how boring). All in all, I know that there's much work to be done on this desktop environment.

Big question: Would I recommend that it become a part of Ubuntu repos? Absolutely not.
    'Ecce est percipi' Bishop George Berkeley, Principles of Human Knowledge
    'Let us not waste our time in idle discourse' Samuel Becket,Waiting For Godot

Beans

Re: Mezzo Desktop In Ubuntu

Just by looking at the screenshots I didn't like Mezzo either. When I click on my desktop I don't want to have to worry about clicking on a foulder built into my wallpaper.

When I have used Linux I much prefered Gnome. But even with Gnome theres a few things that I don't like. When you use Gnome you have 2 bars. 1 is for your opened windows and 1 is for your Applications button and placing all your frequently used programs. But I much prefer KDE's style of doing things. Just have 1 big bar and have you Applications button just be a square picture and instead of having your opened windows go across the bar like Windows does it stacks them ontop of eachother.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Gnome and XFCE for me.

XFCE is much faster and more custonizeable. Gnome is still good. I dont much like KDE.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89
    When I have used Linux I much prefered Gnome. But even with Gnome theres a few things that I don't like. When you use Gnome you have 2 bars. 1 is for your opened windows and 1 is for your Applications button and placing all your frequently used programs. But I much prefer KDE's style of doing things. Just have 1 big bar and have you Applications button just be a square picture and instead of having your opened windows go across the bar like Windows does it stacks them ontop of eachother.
    This is possible with GNOME as well. You just need to delete the upper panel, and then add the GNOME menu (Not the customized menu), which collapses all the menus into one menu, which is just the GNOME foot (no text).to the lower panel, along with all other icons that you wish.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

ALL of the programs are just placed in one continuous menu, without any sub-menu or any sort of grouping. To further complicte matters, the menu items are NOT placed in alphabetical order. So, iagine how hard it is to find a program.
    Start > All Program's > 5 Min look for that newly installed program A that should be up top somewhere but is in fact illogically near the the bottom with Y.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just by looking at the screenshots I didn't like Mezzo either. When I click on my desktop I don't want to have to worry about clicking on a foulder built into my wallpaper.

so why not change it? I have just one bar at the top of my screen with menus, window lists and system tray etc all in one.
    My Site: theshadowaspect.com
    Anyone who uses phrases like Winblows, or M$, or Microsucks, etc. are not doing the Linux world any favors.

Beans

you can have one bar in gnome .... refer to screenshot .... it is customisable ..

xfce is fast though
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Registered Linux User #391336
    matthias media two ways to live - the choice we all face
    www.matthiasmedia.com.au/2wtl

Knome_fan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GavinX
    Big question: Would I recommend that it become a part of Ubuntu repos? Absolutely not.
    This just in: Even if it becomes part of the Ubuntu repos you won't have to install it. Film at 11.

Btw., I have only played around with mezzo a bit and it sure isn't finished yet, but it's trying out some really new approaches to how a desktop can work, which is something I at least find a very positive thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Knome_fan
    This just in: Even if it becomes part of the Ubuntu repos you won't have to install it. Film at 11.

Btw., I have only played around with mezzo a bit and it sure isn't finished yet, but it's trying out some really new approaches to how a desktop can work, which is something I at least find a very positive thing.
    Actually, I understand what the developers of Mezzo are trying to do as far as innovation and a new approach are concerned. However, it does not mean that every innovation is really worthwhile. For example, what could really be the rationale for having the entire desktop background as the file manager? I'm using a particular program, let's say a web browser, an it's opened on the desktop. If I wanto to access something else, then I have to first minimize the browser to access another program. On Gnome or KDE I just go into the program menu on the panel. I'm not suggesting that Mezzo should have a panel but I just find that their approach leaves something to be desired.

As far as including it in Ubuntu repos go, that is just a personal choice if I were a n Ubuntu developer. Sure, you would still have access to it by using alternative repos. As for being a part of the official Ubuntu repos, that would be something I would argue against. Just my choice, that's all.
    'Ecce est percipi' Bishop George Berkeley, Principles of Human Knowledge
    'Let us not waste our time in idle discourse' Samuel Becket,Waiting For Godot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by GavinX
    As far as including it in Ubuntu repos go, that is just a personal choice if I were a n Ubuntu developer. Sure, you would still have access to it by using alternative repos. As for being a part of the official Ubuntu repos, that would be something I would argue against. Just my choice, that's all.
    exactly what authority would you be using to argue this point with, you don't maintain the servers, are not Mr. Shuttleworth, and you sure as hell dont posses the values of the oss community
    No Sig Here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast