Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's using Compiz-Fusion and how's working for you?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Who's using Compiz-Fusion and how's working for you?

Sorry to barge in on your forum but I found this subject while doing a search trying to get the compiz-fusion settings installed.

Anyway, I did fix the compiz-fusion icon thing. The details are posted in a thread I started here:

http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=4871

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My apologies. I did not intend to be uninviting or rude; I intended a joke on some NC native's accents. For the last two days I've worked with a gentleman from Stokes County that has a _very strong accent.

Thanks for the heads up with the compiz-fusion linkage.

-mark
    --that's carpenter, not the nasty fish...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ahh, I see! I didn't take it that way to be honest. But I did kind of jump in here. It did help me to find the forum from my home state however: MN. How'd you guess I was from 'up north'.

Beans

I was using Beryl under feisty with good results. Some occasional issues after hibernate (HP zd8000 laptop).

After I switched to gusty and fusion, I was seeing artifacts, particularly with the screen savers. I changed the driver to use the restricted ATI version and all has been well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

my own experience with an ati card and Beryl was awesome at first but then one magic day I updated from Dapper to Edgy and BOOM!!!!!! It was like hitting an IED with a HUMMVEE. Never got it to work with the ATI card again. popped in the Nvidia and presto good to go. That's not to say that you can't have a good compiz-ati experience it was just more labor intensive for myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I added a launcher using this icon from gnome-look
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Footer View Post
    Ahh, I see! I didn't take it that way to be honest. But I did kind of jump in here. It did help me to find the forum from my home state however: MN. How'd you guess I was from 'up north'.

You're from "up north"! I had no idea. You don't write with an accent

MN and NC, don't we both have unique accents? I live about 30 miles south of the fictional town of Mayberry. Uhm, the town Mayberry was based on, Mt. Airy, NC.

Neither the Andy Griffith Show or the Mary Tyler Moore Show give our fair states accurate representations.

-mark
    --that's carpenter, not the nasty fish...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I never got Compiz-Fusion running correctly under Gutsy. I decided to run the Hardy Beta and after adding in the programs all is working beautifully now. I even got AWN to work which I'm still getting used to. I've also never have figured out how to get the Icon to Stay after reboots. I can get it to show during a session but logout or reboot and it goes away. I'm just working on getting the cylinders stuff now. It's all eye candy but so much sweeter that that other OS vendor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I've had mixed experiences with compiz. When I first installed Gusty, I had many problems with Firefox locking up and OpenOffice just quiting which I attributed to Compiz (as these problems were not ever seen in Dapper, which was stable as a rock IMO), but now the stability issues seem to be mostly taken care of thanks to updates. Now compiz works MOST of the time; I say "most" because Firefox will still sometimes freeze up randomly when I try to open a link. Personally I think the Vista like fade away effects are really cool, but if it comes at the price of stability than I think it should be left out. Just my two cents.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by melm2 View Post
    I never got Compiz-Fusion running correctly under Gutsy. I decided to run the Hardy Beta and after adding in the programs all is working beautifully now. I even got AWN to work which I'm still getting used to. I've also never have figured out how to get the Icon to Stay after reboots. I can get it to show during a session but logout or reboot and it goes away.
    Just add the command to System->Preferences->Session ( or maybe System->Administration->Session). It should start after that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast