Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: vmware wireless network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

vmware wireless network

i have 2 Ethernet cards on my laptop wired and wireless, i configured vmware workstation to bridge the network on the wired network where it went fine, but when i bridge the wireless network i cant access it in the vmware, any idea?
    Last edited by akkad; October 13th, 2007 at 11:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: vmware wireless network

no answer ??

Beans

I have the same probolem, where after I install the vmware-tools, my bridged network would not work.
    I want to know the reason, too.

Beans

Question Re: vmware wireless network

I also have the exact same trouble currently. I have noticed from some other similar posts that we might could use NAT instead of BRIDGE mode.

I would prefer not to do that, and have an isolated IP address for the virtual machine (XP). So I am not really wanting to take that route, but I can see where using NAT mode should work.

I'm thinking the problem lies in VMware using the host OS (ubuntu) eth0 port instead of the wireless port. I am not versed enough in linux and ubuntu 'yet' to know how to make the host use 'whatever interface is active' or to specify 'wi0'. I'm thinking that if possible, this would be the first place to make the host VMWare use that interface path. So it is either a linux/ubuntu coding update needed here or a coding update to VMWare to make it use a certain interface or whatever interface is active.

Much thanks for your time in reading this and HUGE thanks to the person who supplies the answers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Your guess is right. I was having the same problem with my Desktop running Gentoo and Vmware WS 5.5. Ethernet for my vmware was bridged to eth0. When only eth1 was connected vmware didn't recognize that fact. On my Desktop i could simply rerun vmware-config.pl and add a second bridged interface and use that as via the "custom" option. Unfortunately this doesn't work on my new Notebook running Ubuntu and Vmware WS 6. I'm still trying to find out what's going wrong there. Will keep you guys updated...

Currently it looks like this:
    The following bridged networks have been defined:

. vmnet0 is bridged to eth0
    . vmnet2 is bridged to eth1

should work, unfortunately it does not
    Last edited by Ctrl+Alt+Del; November 14th, 2007 at 11:17 PM.

Beans

I have been doing a lot of searching on this issue. Here are some of the things I have found:

- VMWare Player will allow for Bridge mode on the Guest OS through a Wireless NIC on the Host OS
    - NAT mode will allow the Guest OS to connect to the internet and so forth, but will not connect to your LAN without some routing trickery.
    - from reading on VMWare's forums it looks like Server 1.x will not ever support this method of connecting to a LAN/internet connection.
    - VMWare Server 2.0 Beta is available now, and is rumored to support the 'new' Wireless drivers unlike 1.x (i will not be able to test this right away)
    - i have tried spoofing the MAC address on the NIC inside the guest OS with the wireless MAC address of the host OS; after changing to bridge mode it did not work, in my case.
    - using a Wired Ethernet Connection WILL allow for your Guest OS to be in Bridge mode and on your LAN accessing all files/services, etc. with no problems.

So for now, VMWare server 1.x will not allow you connect a Guest OS in Bridge mode to a LAN/Internet through a Wireless Connection. I believe this would apply to both USB and integrated Wireless NICs.

I have to go make a super-long Cat5 cable now....

Beans
    Distro

Ok, found a fix at least for VMWare Workstation 6.X
    http://communities.vmware.com/thread...art=0&start=30

took me the better part of the evening but it works. My VM is connected via wireless

Beans

the link didn't work.. was that the full url?

Beans
    Distro

works for me...
    anyway.. here is the interesting part:
    (1) Download Hauke-m's patched vmnet.tar file from here:

http://www.hauke-m.de/fileadmin/vmware/vmnet.tar

(2) Go to /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source and rename the original vmnet.tar to vmnetOLD.tar or something like that.

(3) Copy Hauke-m's patched vmnet.tar to /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/.

(4) Run vmware-config.pl.

That should do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I can confirm the directions given by Ctrl+Alt+Del worked for me. I am now using bridged networking through my wireless network card. This is awesome. The following information about my system might be helpful.

Host OS - Ubunutu 7.10
    Guest OS - Windows XP SP2
    VMware Server 1.0.4
    Wireless Network Card Driver - bcm43xx

Thanks Ctrl+Alt+Del !

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast