Thread: Minimal Install: Ubuntu Gutsy server + Mythtv backend

Beans

Minimal Install: Ubuntu Gutsy server + Mythtv backend

Hi,

I'm migrating from a Ubuntu-based Mythtv frontend/backend (Dapper) to a separate frontend and backend architecture based on Gutsy.

My backend is low powered, headless server which will just be used to serve files, run Asterisk and Mythtv backend.

I know I need X-Windows to configure Mythtv, but I would like to know the minimal packages that I would need to get mythtv backend running on Ubuntu Gutsy server.

The server is running the OS from flash, so I would like to move the mysql location to the hard drive which will store the media and tv recordings.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Minimal Install: Ubuntu Gutsy server + Mythtv backend

mythtv-backend-master

Beans
    Distro

Mind you, even though mythbuntu installs X, that may be sufficient for you.

It is rather convenient to have VNC setup already then, so you can run mythtv-setup without having to X forward from your headless box. Your call though

Beans

Thanks for the advice.

I checked out the two packages: mythtv-backend and mythtv-backend-master and it seems that they are more or less the same except the mythtv-backend has X, so transcoding and audio.

I am unfamiliar with Mythbuntu. Is there anywhere I can see what packages are installed for a backend only?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sgreszcz View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

I checked out the two packages: mythtv-backend and mythtv-backend-master and it seems that they are more or less the same except the mythtv-backend has X, so transcoding and audio.

I am unfamiliar with Mythbuntu. Is there anywhere I can see what packages are installed for a backend only?
    Well mythtv-backend-master depends on mythtv-backend

Take a look at mythbuntu-desktop. That will get you all the essentials for mythbuntu, mythtv-backend-master gets added onto that when you choose a primary backend role basically.