Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Have you installed build-essential? ctrl+alt+F1 or F2 should get you out of GUI and into terminal unless there is something wrong seriously. Make sure you remove any previous traces of nvidia driver installed via repository.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Too much information.

My problem is that I have just upgraded from 9.10 and now will only run in low resolution mode.

I have a GT216 with a 1920x1080 monitor which wqas working perfectly on 9.10.

I have deleted all nvidia drivers using several different instructions and retried several different installs.

I have tried a number of different driver versions from both Nvidia and the repository.

I think now I have so many different changes I should throw it all out and start again.

Is there a recognised standard fix for this video card?

I have now spent 5 days trying to fix this and am about to give up!!

I have booted with a live Fedora12 and all works perfectly.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

Kevin

Beans

Hello to all ,

i have Problem to Install NVIDIA Driver ,

i saw Error
    ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module ‘nvidia.ko’. This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or NVIDIA GPU installed in this system is not supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.
    my uname-r is : 2.6.32-21-generic

Please Help me .

Beans

I've updated from 9.04 to 9.10 and now to 10.04.
    uname -r is:
    2.6.31-17-generic
    problem following these instructions is, I cant find source code for this kernel version from synaptics and thus the nVidia installer just exist saying that the kernel source code does not exist... should I build my own kernel or is there any other way out of this mess? everything was working fine with 9.x and also after the upgrade to 10.04 it worked fine for the first 1-2 weeks until last nights system update. Now I can only run low res mode with generic driver as nVidia kernel module does not load.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1467074

Please follow instructions here on how to properly install nvidia on Lucid, as an alternate the Xswat PPA has latest nvidia drivers so it can be installed easily and with DKMS support as well.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans

Proglem solved,

I realised that the upgrade to 10.04 had failed to update my grub menu so I was loading the old Kernel version. Changed from kernel 2.6.31-17-generic to kernel 2.6.32-21-generic in (/boot/grub/menu.lst) and now nVidia driver loads just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Noob question:

Looked at installing the latest Linux Display Driver v.260.19.12

I noticed they say "Stopped installing OpenGL, VDPAU, CUDA, and OpenCL header files with the driver"

How will this affect us, aka what does it actually mean?
    Will i have to seek out all those things manually?

Beans

Hi all!!!
    I already had many problems to install my 8400 GS NVIDIA GEFORCE on UBUNTU and I find many solutions to do it all the times...
    For now, I has discovered on a Brazilian forum a little shell script to do it easyly... The shell script was developed by a Brazilian guy...
    Download the shell script from http://www.meroprojects.com/download...er2.1.1.tar.gz and cd to the folder where You has saved it. I sugest You to save it on your home folder.
    Then, type the commands bellow:

CODE:
    $ sudo service gdm stop

or

$ sudo service kdm stop

$ tar -xf vmanager2.1.1.tar.gz

$ cd vmanager2.1.1

$ chmod +x -R *

Now You can execute the shell script typing the command below:

CODE:
    $ ./vmanager2.1.1.sh

It will check for and download the latest Nvidia driver and after download has finished it will automatically install the driver...

I hope it will solve your issue!!!

Best Regards,

Silva.

Quote Originally Posted by ingeon View Post
    Noob question:

Looked at installing the latest Linux Display Driver v.260.19.12

I noticed they say "Stopped installing OpenGL, VDPAU, CUDA, and OpenCL header files with the driver"

How will this affect us, aka what does it actually mean?
    Will i have to seek out all those things manually?
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - Omnislash 1.4.4
    G31MXP-K + E7500 + 4Gb Ram + Gforce 8400 GS + AOC LCD 22" + 4x500Gb SATA + 500W Power Supply.
    Linux registered user #521164

Beans

Sorry i haven't read all pages, only first one but i am new in ubuntu, and want to know why ubuntu doesn't see my gtx 560m card. Actually, i installed nvidia driver(the recommended one) and i have a program "nvidia x server settings". This program sees my card, but in system information(i'm translating it it may be different) reads unknown driver. Why does program see it but ubuntu doesn't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Remove whatever you have installed. Make sure all the traces of the open source driver are removed as well:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...xpert_users.29

After your system is clean and driver-less run the following:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Restart

...and check the following thread.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1771806
    Crackers don't matter!
    Asus G53SX-A1 with Ubuntu

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142