Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

arnieboy Guest

Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Quote Originally Posted by senectus
    Would you like me to post my xorg.conf.. ?
    LOAD "dri" _is not_ in my xorg.conf.

It's not under the Module section or anywhere else in that document either (I did a search just to make sure I wasn't going blind).
    shucks am sorry.. been attending to a few zillion posts on DRI and 3d acceleration all evening and its really late here. my apologies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by senectus
    Would you like me to post my xorg.conf.. ?
    LOAD "dri" _is not_ in my xorg.conf.

It's not under the Module section or anywhere else in that document either (I did a search just to make sure I wasn't going blind).
    make sure you have the lines I put in blue in the example

Section "Module"
    Load "bitmap"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "ddc"
    #Load "dri"
    #Load “GLcore”

Load "extmod"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"
    Load "int10"
    Load "record"
    Load "type1"
    Load "vbe"

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I installed the drivers using your guide(great guide btw).

And I've run into my first problem, maybe you can help? When i check screensavers, none of the OpenGL ones work. I just get a black screen, the small preview says "No Preview Available". Something tells me i'm not going to be able to run neverwinter nights once i install it... The screensavers worked before.

Maybe not worth mentioning is, that in my xorg.conf file there was no Load "GLcore" line and Load "glx" was already present.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrzen
    I installed the drivers using your guide(great guide btw).

And I've run into my first problem, maybe you can help? When i check screensavers, none of the OpenGL ones work. I just get a black screen, the small preview says "No Preview Available". Something tells me i'm not going to be able to run neverwinter nights once i install it... The screensavers worked before.

Maybe not worth mentioning is, that in my xorg.conf file there was no Load "GLcore" line and Load "glx" was already present.
    It's weird, I've never had such a problem. I don't use games in Ubuntu but OpenGL screensavers woked well on my computer.

I can try to run the installer again and to say yes when it asks you about OpenGL32bit compatibility libraries (expecially if you have Ubuntu 32)

Tell me if it works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

After messing arround with new nvidia drivers for about three hours I finaly got them working... but I'm not so happy, cause performance isn't as it should be. I get:
    Code:
    izmaelis@boxzilla:~$ glxgears
    6761 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1352.200 FPS
    7931 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1586.200 FPS
    7942 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1588.400 FPS
    7866 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1573.200 FPS
    7801 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1560.200 FPS
    7688 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1537.600 FPS
    7827 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1565.400 FPS
    7716 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1543.200 FPS
    X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
    And I had to disable Composite extention in xorg.conf.
    Now, how can I rollback to standart nvidia driver from ubuntu repos? I remember them working better than 7676 driver that I have now.

EDIT: I have GeForce FX5600XT 128Mb
    Last edited by izmaelis; August 23rd, 2005 at 04:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by izmaelis
    After messing arround with new nvidia drivers for about three hours I finaly got them working... but I'm not so happy, cause performance isn't as it should be. I get:
    Code:
    izmaelis@boxzilla:~$ glxgears
    6761 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1352.200 FPS
    7931 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1586.200 FPS
    7942 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1588.400 FPS
    7866 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1573.200 FPS
    7801 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1560.200 FPS
    7688 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1537.600 FPS
    7827 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1565.400 FPS
    7716 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1543.200 FPS
    X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
    And I had to disable Composite extention in xorg.conf.
    Now, how can I rollback to standart nvidia driver from ubuntu repos? I remember them working better than 7676 driver that I have now.

EDIT: I have GeForce FX5600XT 128Mb
    Set xorg.conf to either "vesa" or "nv"
    then follow the method in the guide to launch the installer but this time you will have to launch it in this way:

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7676-pkg2.run --uninstall

Of course use the name of the file you downloaded (this is an example of my installer)

Then you can follow Ubuntu guide and install the driver you like most.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I haven't tried reinstalling the driver yet, yes i am running ubuntu 32 but i didn't get a prompt for libraries. I thought it wasn't worth mentioning that i did not add the line Device "Nvidia", since i saw it was "nv" I figured "what's the difference right?"

Meanwhile i ran NWN from the terminal and it didn't start, it repeated the error "GLX missing on display 0:0" "Failed to initialize graphics". So i reinstalled the GLX packages from Synaptic. To no avail... If there's a difference between nv and Nvidia i might as well remove glx again and reinstall the drivers and be done with it, so is this the root of my problem?

arnieboy Guest

I haven't tried reinstalling the driver yet, yes i am running ubuntu 32 but i didn't get a prompt for libraries. I thought it wasn't worth mentioning that i did not add the line Device "Nvidia", since i saw it was "nv" I figured "what's the difference right?"

Meanwhile i ran NWN from the terminal and it didn't start, it repeated the error "GLX missing on display 0:0" "Failed to initialize graphics". So i reinstalled the GLX packages from Synaptic. To no avail... If there's a difference between nv and Nvidia i might as well remove glx again and reinstall the drivers and be done with it, so is this the root of my problem?
    nv is the nvidia driver that Ubuntu has packaged. Its old and ineffective. the whole point of this HowTo is to replace that. u need to change the driver name to "nvidia" if u want to use the most current Nvidia drivers that u have installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's important to follow EVERY step in my guide. Remove nvidia-glx in Synaptic and follow my guide again.

I hope it works now

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Fix't.

Thanks for your help, t'was my mistake.
    Screensavers actualy work with a decent fps now, thanks again for this guide!

Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast