Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

I still can't figure out when using Synamptic, Ubuntu 6.10 would insist on removing the generic SMP kernel and install 386 kernel with nvidia-legacy drivers makign my dual CPU machine totally useless. This is a bug that needs to be addressed soon, thanks to Envy its not a worry with my system.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

tseliot wrote:

Code:
    If you want to install Nvidia driver with the nvidia installer (I've tried v.7667) and you use a kernel from Ubuntu Hoary or you compiled it from Hoary sources (or kernel.org sources), then just try this HOWTO.
    If you have a kernel from Ubuntu Breezy then try this HOWTO:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=52924 OR just look at point 2 of the problems section of THIS guide.

Make sure you graphic card is not among the ones which are NOT SUPPORTED by looking at the list you will find in the NOTES SECTION *

You need 7676 version only if you have Geforce 7800, otherwise is useless (and it has some bugs). If you haven't got this graphic card PLEASE try 7667, it's more stable.

Download the installer from this page according to your architecture (32bit or 64bit)
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Before you start you have to make sure the following things are installed (see points "a","b","c"). If not, you can install them following these steps:

Open either Terminal or Konsole and type:

uname -r (this will tell you the name and version of the kernel you are using)

Open either Synaptic or Kynaptic

a) press the "Search" button and put "header" in the search field

you will see a list of files, find "linux-headers-the name you got from uname -r"

for example if your kernel is "2.6.10-5-386", the headers will be "linux-headers-2.6.10-5-386"
    Just to share my experience. First of all many thanks to tseliot for detailed HOWTO with nvidia! I have learned many things with it. And now, my experience: I used envy script and installed proprietary drivers instead nvidia-glx, but that drivers does not support 1280x800 resolution on GeForce 7300 256Mb. I tried everything nvidia-config options, forced ModeLine parameters, but without result. However, login screen worked fine, but after login my screen was automatically redirected to 1024x768. Now, seems to me I can write xorg.conf on some sheet of paper without looking at the screen After 4 days of , I uninstalled the proprietary drives, installed the restricted modules again and nvidia-glx, and now 1280x800 is working with the same "Screen" and "Monitor" options of the xorg.conf file. Thanks again to tseliot for howto!

Beans

If you have a 8800 card you will have to use the latest driver from nvidia, as the ones for edgy do not support that card yet.

it's at http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...-9746-pkg2.run

also you first have to get rid of the nvidia kernel module if you (like myself) had a different nvidia card in there before because otherwise you'll run into an incompatibility between the installed kernel module and the one required (and provided) by the driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Talking Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

That was a superb guide. All drivers and OpenGL works perfekt with my Ubuntu-installation Continue do good guides!

THANK YOU!!
    I have figured out that it exists more than computercraches in the world, so i switch to Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tseliot View Post
    Well, the main reason is COMPATIBILITY. Without driver 7664-7667 I could never have 3d acceleration or a screen without any corruption with my Geforce 6200 PCI-E. Latest Nvidia graphic cards might not work with Ubuntu's nvidia drivers. I don't play games under Linux (I have an Xbox for that) but: in my case "nv" drivers= screen corruption, nvidia drivers (the ones you can install following Ubuntu Starter Guide) =black screen, no Xorg. If you want to know about the changes in the latest release (7676 I think) you shoul go to nvidia forum, Linux section.
    Not neccessarily...I have a brand new GeForce Go 7600 512Mb (in an HP Pavilion dv9297ea) and the nvidia-glx driver in the repos works fine for me in Feisty Herd 5 right from the word go.

Beans

Could not open the file /home/sablettes/Desktop/NVI…6_64-1.0-9755-pkg2(2).run.
    gedit has not been able to detect the character coding.
    Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
    Select a character coding from the menu and try again.

I don't know what the problem might be, I downloaded the driver from the nVidia.com website, when I am in the command line (CTRL-ALT-F1), It tells me it can't open the file, any suggestions?

I have the x64 7.04 Ubuntu (feisty), and i followed every step. Can someone give me a pointer of some kind?

Thank you in advance, Sablettes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sablettes View Post
    Could not open the file /home/sablettes/Desktop/NVI…6_64-1.0-9755-pkg2(2).run.
    gedit has not been able to detect the character coding.
    Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
    Select a character coding from the menu and try again.

I don't know what the problem might be, I downloaded the driver from the nVidia.com website, when I am in the command line (CTRL-ALT-F1), It tells me it can't open the file, any suggestions?

I have the x64 7.04 Ubuntu (feisty), and i followed every step. Can someone give me a pointer of some kind?
    You cannot open the file with gedit because it is an executable. use chmod +x <file> to make it executable, then run it with ./<file> (replace <file> with the whole filename)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The information in the OP is old. The author has built a script called ENVY that automagically installs the driver.. check out his web site. I've used it for a few years now and it works great every time!

http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Beans

Cool Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

I cant get it to work...

After I write "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop" I just get this screen, where I can't do anything...

Please help, I really want to give linux a change, i'm a super-noob :-/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I cant get it to work...

After I write "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop" I just get this screen, where I can't do anything...

Please help, I really want to give linux a change, i'm a super-noob :-/
    You can't type this command from a terminal in the graphical environment. You need to press Alt+f2 and type the command there.

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast