Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

This driver is mystery to me.
    I downloaded installed with your how to.If i put nvidia and not nv in xorg.conf the system dont reboot .If iput nv ok .I recompiled the original kernel , the new kernel 2.6.13 , i tried everything.

I read this forum the nvidia forum nothing works .
    Why ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TakisX
    This driver is mystery to me.
    I downloaded installed with your how to.If i put nvidia and not nv in xorg.conf the system dont reboot .If iput nv ok .I recompiled the original kernel , the new kernel 2.6.13 , i tried everything.

I read this forum the nvidia forum nothing works .
    Why ?
    Try to add the red lines to your xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV40 [GeForce 6200 TurboCache]"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "NvAGP" "0"
    Option "RenderAccel" "Off"
    Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP,TV"
    Option "NoRenderExtension" "Off"
    Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" “Off”

Log oout and login

Beans

Thanks Alberto. Molto bene bello.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by busboy.ca
    Thanks Alberto. Molto bene bello.
    Grazie a te

Beans

If i put the lines you say freezes even i put nv in xorg.conf
    At the other forum a lot of people ungry with nvidia because the drivers dont work
    The last driver they say is 6629 that worked ok

Why a big firm like nvidia does not fix it ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TakisX
    If i put the lines you say freezes even i put nv in xorg.conf
    At the other forum a lot of people ungry with nvidia because the drivers dont work
    The last driver they say is 6629 that worked ok

Why a big firm like nvidia does not fix it ?
    Because they focus more on Windows drivers than on Linux ones. And Games are developed for Windows.

By the way you could give Breezy (stable) a shot (13th october) as it has 7667 nvidia driver modules available in the repositories. Please try to be patient until then (I understand your frustration though).

Beans

Well add me to the list of failures when trying to install these drivers. Right after I installed them I rebooted X, got the Nvidia screen, then it dumped me out to command line. I was able to uninstall the "glx" package, then restore from a copy of xorg.conf I kept for situations like this. It will only boot into GDM if I am root, and even then it I have about a 1-in-a-hundred chance of it working, or it will just boot to the gray screen with the "x" for the mouse pointer until I restart the computer. Recently I have been getting a blue screen with an error box asking me if I wish to look at the Xorg.0.log file to see if I can fix the problem, but it looks fine. I haven't had the courage to reboot my system for a few days now and I don't plan on ever rebooting it.
    Is there anyway to fix this? I finally went through the horrible process of getting KDE installed, just so I could never use it. I can post a copy of my xorg.conf and the backup I have used if it would help.

I have searched the nVidia forums to no avail. I would love to keep using Ubuntu, but I never had these problems with SuSE or any other distro I have used.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheTK421
    I can post a copy of my xorg.conf and the backup I have used if it would help.
    Please post them.

And did the driver compile?

Beans

Hey Tseilot,

You might remember a couple pages back I was having trouble with OpenGL. glxgears was getting 14fps and my games weren't rendering properly at all.
    You suggested I downgrade from 7676 to 7667 and I have just now finnaly got around to doing that, and, voila! It works great now. Glxgears is giving 12,000+ and I am getting a solid 90fps (locked there) in Enemy Territory with all details at max @ 1024x768.

I thought the process was going to be a pain, but I simply just downloaded the 7667 drivers, stopped X and did a sh "NVIDA-blablablaDrivers" and the whole process was automated. Uninstalled 7676 and put 7667 in. I don't know if that's the safest way to go about it, but no problems so far!

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by muzzie
    Hey Tseilot,

You might remember a couple pages back I was having trouble with OpenGL. glxgears was getting 14fps and my games weren't rendering properly at all.
    You suggested I downgrade from 7676 to 7667 and I have just now finnaly got around to doing that, and, voila! It works great now. Glxgears is giving 12,000+ and I am getting a solid 90fps (locked there) in Enemy Territory with all details at max @ 1024x768.

I thought the process was going to be a pain, but I simply just downloaded the 7667 drivers, stopped X and did a sh "NVIDA-blablablaDrivers" and the whole process was automated. Uninstalled 7676 and put 7667 in. I don't know if that's the safest way to go about it, but no problems so far!

Thanks!
    Of course I remember of you . Well, let's say there's a reason if I discourage users from installing 7676. The way you installed the new driver is right (so don't you worry).

I'm very happy for you!

Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast