Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Quote Originally Posted by onlyOknows
    ... But after installation I couldn't find the file NVIDIA-Settings.desktop in the location you said. (even I did "locate")
    Please, follow my instructions. Of course the file doesn't exists but you have to create it by using the commands I told you to use.

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "PHILIPS 107B"
    Option "DPMS"
    HorizSync 30-86
    VertRefresh 50-160
    EndSection
    Find the specs of your monitor (you can use Google) and find the Horizontal and the Vertical refresh of your monitor then put them instead of the default values

HorizSync 30-86
    VertRefresh 50-160

Then save the file.

If you do this using the graphic interface log out and then login (it should restart Xorg)

Beans

ohh. sorry sorry sorry! I have missed the words "the new file". I'm a newbie but not as new as that
    now I'm restarting the machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mega
    No improvement with 7667

mega@mainpc:~$ glxgears -info
    GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS=4096/4096
    GL_RENDERER = GeForce FX 5200/AGP/SSE2/3DNOW!
    GL_VERSION = 2.0.0 NVIDIA 76.67
    GL_VENDOR = NVIDIA Corporation

4957 frames in 5.0 seconds = 991.400 FPS
    5257 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1051.400 FPS
    5223 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1044.600 FPS

cpu is peaked at 100 %, should glxgears hit the cpu like that?
    Try to add the lines I've put in blue to your xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV40 [GeForce 6200 TurboCache]"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "RenderAccel" "OFF"
    Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "OFF"

Restart X by (logout and then login) and try glxgears again. If this does the trick but you have low FPS THEN (and ONLY THEN) erase "Option "RenderAccel" "OFF"" and try glxgears again.

Tell me what happens in both cases.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by tseliot
    (...)
    Find the specs of your monitor (you can use Google) and find the Horizontal and the Vertical refresh of your monitor then put them instead of the default values

HorizSync 30-86
    VertRefresh 50-160

Then save the file.

If you do this using the graphic interface log out and then login (it should restart Xorg)
    Or you could try commenting out those two lines by putting a "#" in front of the lines. I did this and all my refresh rate@resolution combinations are detected automatically. If this doesn't work for you, just uncomment the lines and you should be back on track.
    Last edited by DancingSun; August 23rd, 2005 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling

Beans

Please, follow my instructions. Of course the file doesn't exists but you have to create it by using the commands I told you to use.

HorizSync 30-86
    VertRefresh 50-160

Then save the file.

Following your guide to nvidia-settings installation is worked. Thanks.

I entered the values as what is given in the Philisps data sheet. In the data sheet these values are also given as ranges, but not as a single value!
    The results is, I'm still couldn't reach the 100 Hz refresh rate. I also tried the way explained in the following howto;
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...9&postcount=21

It also didn't worked

In the linux kernel or in the driver who decides to use which refresh rate? In the "Screen Resolution preference tool" of ubuntu the maximum listed rate is 85Hz. How these lists are generated? And when I changed the value in this list which file is being affected exactly? So maybe I can change this file by myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Following your guide to nvidia-settings installation is worked. Thanks.

I entered the values as what is given in the Philisps data sheet. In the data sheet these values are also given as ranges, but not as a single value!
    The results is, I'm still couldn't reach the 100 Hz refresh rate. I also tried the way explained in the following howto;
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...9&postcount=21

It also didn't worked

In the linux kernel or in the driver who decides to use which refresh rate? In the "Screen Resolution preference tool" of ubuntu the maximum listed rate is 85Hz. How these lists are generated? And when I changed the value in this list which file is being affected exactly? So maybe I can change this file by myself.
    The file you are looking for is xorg.conf.

Have you tried this (in the command line)? :

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

And follow the instructions (it will also ask you the refresh rate (Vertical and Horizontal) of your monitor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

If you haven't got this solved now (and even if you had so other people will know) I have to make a symlink from linux-headers-2.6.10-5 (think thats the name, you'll see the folder in /usr/src) to linux, i.e.

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.10-5/ /usr/src/linux/
    then it worked

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by REBELinBLUE
    If you haven't got this solved now (and even if you had so other people will know) I have to make a symlink from linux-headers-2.6.10-5 (think thats the name, you'll see the folder in /usr/src) to linux, i.e.

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.10-5/ /usr/src/linux/
    then it worked
    I'm happy it works in this way. I might add this method to my guide later. Thanks

Beans

Option "RenderAccel" "OFF"
    Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "OFF"
    if I put this in, I can no longer start xorg, it tries 3-4 times, then locks up the computer

I had to boot in recovery mode to fix it, both have to be set to true, or xorg crashes

glxgears fps seems bad, but I was playing warcraft last night and I was getting 15-30fps, not too bad for a old card like this
    Last edited by mega; August 24th, 2005 at 01:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mega
    if I put this in, I can no longer start xorg, it tries 3-4 times, then locks up the computer

I had to boot in recovery mode to fix it, both have to be set to true, or xorg crashes
    Try the other suggestions (in red) at the end of the guide.

Then if they don't work you will have to ask in Nvidia Forum (at the Linux section) as your problem can be related to some bug of the driver. You can ask the developers and some users in there.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast