Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

i've used the 171.05, 171.06, and the 173.08 drivers and havent really noticed much difference between any of them. but the 173.08 makes my screen flicker sometimes.

Beans

Help! I am trying to get Kubuntu 9.04 running with hardware acceleration, and it just isn't working. I have two EVGA e-GeForce 8600 GTS graphics boards, and I am trying to set up a multiseat computer. I know that the nVidia drivers are the ones I need, I had Gentoo linux on the same computer and I used the nVidia drivers without any problems.

Here's what I've tried so far:
    logging in, and using KDE's hardware drivers application to install both of the drivers it came up with.

installing nvidia-glx-180.

banging my head on the desk(that didn't work either)

I also tried downloading the driver from nVidia, and that one didn't work either.

All that happens with any of these, when I try to boot, I don't get to a graphical login, and if I don't switch tty's I don't get to a terminal login either. I posted a detailed explanation of my problem here. I have absolutely no idea where to go from here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

i am trying to get nvidia drivers (180) to work.

i set up a thread about it here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1164310

basically my problem is this:

i get the pkg from nvidia site, then stop X with
    Code:
         sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    then chmod +x to the pkg, and run it with
    Code:
         sudo sh NVIDIA...etc etc
    Installation goes fine, i say no to the 32bit OPENGL stuff because i have x64 obviously.

Upon restarting gdm everything seems fine (the first good sign is the annoying GPU fan finally stops) then i get the NVIDIA screen, and a correct resolution login screen.

Everything would appear it is as it should be, but as soon as i try to restart it cant load X (Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode... cannot determine screen video card etc, dont rememebr exactly what it says).

So I am having to do the above steps again, overwriting the previous driver and the xorg.conf file. I had a look at the file but I cant make much of it.

Does anyone know why this could be happening? I mean i load X fine the first time, so why should it be any different when i reboot?..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I installed today the NEWEST nvidia driver with this video tut and its the 64bit vers

this might help you

http://linuxcrypt.net/?p=255&cpage=1#comment-1809
    You will never enjoy the sunshine if you always fear the storm

Beans
    Hidden!

Make sure to remove linux-restricted-modules from Synaptic. Also install x32 open GL support, some apps which are x32 and ported to x64 will need them. A good way to install is described here at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490 and Kosimo's excellent tutorial at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=990978

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by noblerabbit View Post
    Everything would appear it is as it should be, but as soon as i try to restart it cant load X (Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode... cannot determine screen video card etc, dont rememebr exactly what it says).
    I am having this problem. It says my graphics card has been unplugged and must check my connectors or something. It's obviously not the case as I run in windows XP fine. I'm using 32bit ubuntu 9.04 and have tried both 180 nvidia drivers and the newest 185 drivers. I use a 7950 GT

edit: also I tried reformatting my PC (erased using dban) and installing ubuntu again fresh. it worked, but as soon as I installed the nvidia drivers it gave me the error. I've tried installing through console with the nvidia binaries. I've tried using envyng. I've tried using the hardware driver manager in ubuntu.
    Last edited by moogies; June 13th, 2009 at 12:49 AM.

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

hi
    i got compaq presario cq60 amd sempron cpu and nvidia geforce 8200 mg graphic.I try nvidia driver 190.42
    first i download the driver from nvidia site
    after ctrl+alt+f1
    sudo telinit 1
    sudo telinit 3
    sudo sh NVIDIA-linux-x86-190.42-pkg1.run
    follow the instruction
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm star

driver working great i use ubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tseliot View Post
    1) Have you installed the kernel headers of your current kernel?

2) Are you using Ubuntu Hoary or Breezy?

3) What's the output of the error (what does the installer say?)?
    i'm using karmic koala, i've installed the headers and source and gcc.
    nvidia-installer says its unable to build kernel.

Beans

This is by design after uninstalling the old driver, otherwise you'd be
    looking at a blank moniter, and be unable to install your new driver.
    Vista's default driver will upgrade/go away when you perform the new
    installation

Beans

ctl-alt-f1 (so as to get to the command line, not a windowed terminal, but out of the graphical interface GUI)
    i cant access any tty's so this is no help

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast