Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Latest NVIDIA drivers

Hi there,

I have a fun problem that I hope someone can help me with. Card is a GeForce4 440MX. Tried your methods and they all resulted in the same problem. When Ubuntu starts up, I get a white screen like you'd expect, however there's no nvidia logo. The system simply displays the white screen, and then seems to hang. Of course, i change xorg.conf back to nv again and everything works fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
    Neil

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by flusteredpie
    Hi there,

I have a fun problem that I hope someone can help me with. Card is a GeForce4 440MX. Tried your methods and they all resulted in the same problem. When Ubuntu starts up, I get a white screen like you'd expect, however there's no nvidia logo. The system simply displays the white screen, and then seems to hang. Of course, i change xorg.conf back to nv again and everything works fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
    Neil
    Which version of Ubuntu do you use (Hoary, Breezy or Dapper)?

Beans

Oops, came here from google and didn't notice the forum name. It's actually Breezy I'm using, so this should probably be in the Breezy Nvidia thread :S Sorry!

Help still required though..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by flusteredpie
    Oops, came here from google and didn't notice the forum name. It's actually Breezy I'm using, so this should probably be in the Breezy Nvidia thread :S Sorry!

Help still required though..
    please see note 7 of my guide for Breezy

Beans
    Hidden!

Tnt2?!

Hello!
    i'm trying to install nvidia drivers for riva tnt2 m64 in a xubuntu system in my old AMD K6, my kernel version is 2.6.17-10... i've tried with the nvidia-glx-legacy and it doesn't work; X freezes... i've also tried with legacy drivers from nvidia (6629 and the lastest one, 7184, i think) and i can't install the driver: Unable to build kernel module.
    I attach here the nvidia-installer.log
    any idea how to solve all this????
    Thx!!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!

Unhappy agp problems

Hello again!
    i've finally installed the nvidia-legacy driver coming with xubuntu... the problem with the X server freezing was agp related: when i try to use agpgart it freezes, it only works without using agp : option "NVidiaAgp" "0"
    Trying to use nvagp, it doesn't load 'couse it detects agpgart loaded... if i try disabling agpgart, the nvidia kernel module doesn't load and i can't use X...
    How to solve all this?
    How can i use agp?
    Thank you very much!

Beans

Great how-to. Worked perfectly for me. Now all of my 3D screen savers have a drastically noticeable improvement in speed.

Beans

Actually, I take that back

When I restarted my computer, I get a message that says "Failed to start X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?"

So how do I fix this/revert to what i had before?

Beans

I recently purchased a new motherboard/CPU combo ( AMD Athlon 64) the mother board has on board video (NVIDIA GeForce 6100)

After going through your guide, i started the GUI and it ran perfectly, video and all... but when i restarted my computer, i got an error starting X Server.

If i go through the driver install again and launch right into the GUI it will run fine, but every time i restart my computer X Server wont start correctly.

Is this a Driver related problem?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by der View Post
    I recently purchased a new motherboard/CPU combo ( AMD Athlon 64) the mother board has on board video (NVIDIA GeForce 6100)

After going through your guide, i started the GUI and it ran perfectly, video and all... but when i restarted my computer, i got an error starting X Server.

If i go through the driver install again and launch right into the GUI it will run fine, but every time i restart my computer X Server wont start correctly.

Is this a Driver related problem?

I had this problem too. I think what's happening is that at boot, ubuntu is replacing the kernel module (the driver you installed) with the non-3d one. There should be a way to disable this service, but I'm not sure how.

Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast