Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to: upload pictures to Flickr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How to: upload pictures to Flickr

Say you want to upload pictures to Flickr and you are using Ubuntu. You know how to do it on Windows, but Flickr Uploader is Windows only.

Well, don't despair! There is a software which allows bulk uploads of pictures from your hard drive to Flickr service.

1. If you don't have Java installed, install package sun-java6-jre.
    For example,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
    2. Go to http://juploadr.org/download_linux.php
    3. Download the file jUploadr-1.1.2-linuxGTK-i386.tar.gz and open it in Archive Manager.
    4. Unarchive into your home directory:
    Right click on jUploadr-1.1.2-linuxGTK-i386 and select Extract
    Click on your name (should be the third icon down on the left panel)
    Click on Extract.
    5. Open a terminal and run
    Code:
    exec ~/jUploadr-1.1.2-linuxGTK-i386/jUploadr
    A window opens up with an offer to "drag and drop photos"
    6. Select Edit->Accounts->Flickr account
    A new Web browser window will open, or a new Firefox tab will open with Flickr login and/or instructions. Log into your Flickr account and follow the instructions to give jUploadr authorization to upload to Flickr.
    7. Drag and drop pictures and click on Upload

This is fun, huh?

Beans

Re: How to: upload pictures to Flickr

is there any way to make this launch from a launcher?

Beans

There is a Flikr Uploader available in the "add/remove applications" in the graphics section, It's a python script so no need for java for it to work.

Tip for it:
    if you have multiple accounts you can delete the login to get to another account by deleting the content of:
    ~/.flickr
    with the uploader closed and it will ask you to login again next time you start it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

---
    Hairy Hardon. Wait. Scratch that,back up - Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04).
    Compaq/HP Evo N600C

Beans

I have also been looking for a flickr uploader to use with ubuntu. I tried the jUploader recommended but I had some problems getting it to run - it would run the bash script but would do nothing. The terminal output would flash and close to quickly for me to read it.

I did a search for 'flickr' in the package manager and there is an upload program called 'postr' which I believe is the python unloader mentioned above. Installed and works great. Also has a built in option to send your images to a group wich the flickr uploader for windows/osx does not have! great stuff

The Picasa port for linux also seems to be faster and work better than the windows version, good times.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thumbs down Re: How to: upload pictures to Flickr

postr is great,i have installed it and it works very well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Red face Re: How to: upload pictures to Flickr

I've installed jUploadr on Ubuntu Jaunty and Karmic 32 and 64 bit with no success.

I click upload, and it simply doesn't do anything. USELESS and very frustrating.

Flickr needs to get Flickr uploader working for Linux, or open up FTP access.

!@#%

- PS: Postr seems to be working, though there's no progress bar while uploading - and had the same problem! Nothing happened when clicking upload button. However, got it to work after clicking Upload from the File menu. WTF??
    e.m.fields
    Asheville, nc

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have the same issue and I notice on the jUploadr main page that as of 1.2 "jUploadr now requires Java 1.5 (java 5.0)". I can tell you that running 1.6+, I have the same issue. Everything works, but upload.

Quote Originally Posted by e.m.fields View Post
    I've installed jUploadr on Ubuntu Jaunty and Karmic 32 and 64 bit with no success.

I click upload, and it simply doesn't do anything. USELESS and very frustrating.

Flickr needs to get Flickr uploader working for Linux, or open up FTP access.

!@#%

- PS: Postr seems to be working, though there's no progress bar while uploading - and had the same problem! Nothing happened when clicking upload button. However, got it to work after clicking Upload from the File menu. WTF??
    "You can't lie to a nun. We got to go in and visit the penguin."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by woodorw View Post
    postr is great,i have installed it and it works very well
    But it seems there is a problem with postr in Ubuntu Karmic. I installed it but it gives the following error with traceback:

Code:
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/postr/flickrest.py:18: DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
      import logging, md5, os, mimetools, urllib
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/postr", line 34, in <module>
        p = postr.Postr()
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/postr/postr.py", line 162, in __init__
        self.flickr.authenticate_1().addCallbacks(self.auth_open_url, self.twisted_error)
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/postr/flickrest.py", line 274, in authenticate_1
        return self.__get_frob()
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/postr/flickrest.py", line 240, in __get_frob
        return self.auth_getFrob().addCallback(gotFrob)
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/postr/flickrest.py", line 126, in proxy
        return self.__call(method, kwargs).addCallback(self.__cb, method)
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/postr/flickrest.py", line 108, in __call
        postdata=urllib.urlencode(kwargs))
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/postr/proxyclient.py", line 400, in getPage
        scheme, host, port, path = _parse(proxy)
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/postr/proxyclient.py", line 384, in _parse
        host, port = host.split(':')
    ValueError: too many values to unpack
    Any workarounds?

Beans

I'm looking for a solution that "auto-syncs" with Flickr. For example, I provide a list of photo/video directories, and in the background (or as a daily cronjob more likely) it looks for changes to that directory. If a change occurs, it syncs/uploads to Flickr automatically.

Will any current software do that (FlickrEdit, postr)? Or is my best best just writing a bash script that runs daily?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast