Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: NoNetDebs - upgrade Ubuntu without Internet (or with low-bandwidth connection)

Beans

Re: Howto: NoNetDebs - upgrade Ubuntu without Internet (or with low-bandwidth connect

Hi

Thank you for the nonetdebs script, I was looking for something like that... but unfortunately it doesn't work for me.

It doesn't matter what directory I choose to chroot, it always says it's not a suitable directory...

when I try to do it in the command line:

chroot /directory

I've got the reply:
    cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

I'm using the version 0.128 of the script
    I have a Debian Etch stable

I think It's a problem with the chroot command, but I've been looking for a while in some forums and I've got nothing useful. Any ideas?

Thank you very much for your help

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Howto: NoNetDebs - upgrade Ubuntu without Internet (or with low-bandwidth connect

Hi,

I was going to say that you can't run the script in a not-updated system. This because in a not updated system, let's say a 6.10 Edgy one, the files for the deboostrap to create next-coming releases aren't there, i.e. a debootstrap for Gutsy in Edgy can't be executed because the "gutsy" file in /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts/ that says to debootstrap how to build a Gutsy minimal system doesn't exist. An updated package (from ubuntu backports repo) will solve this.

In your case it's because you don't have those scripts. Etch only have debootstrap script files for Warty, Hoary and Breezy and for the Debian releases. Debian Sid/unstable version of deboopstrap has scripts for Ubuntu releases 'till Gutsy (hardy isn't out yet). Install the sid version or add/copy the scripts you don't have to the /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts/ in your system.

Because of that the chroot wasn't built by debootstrap, and the script found no suitable directory to work or to chroot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hi,

Thanks epimeteo!!
    Thanks a lot for this GREAT facility for the ubuntu users like me, who lack net!! (quite backword we r)!!

I have a problem, n need some help with it..

I dont hv net at my home ubuntu system. I needed to install mplayer and wine, tried to do it using the .deb packages i got from net (net cafe, cant carry my pc to a wireless net cafe!!) Being a complete newbee, in Linux and formerly using windows, knew nothing about the 'dependencies'!!!
    Next thing i tried was: when i double-clicked the package in ubuntu it would tell me the dependency it lacked, i would go to net, download that particular dependency, come back home, install it, try again to install the .deb package, fail, get the next dependency, would go back to net..........!!!!
    Did it almost 5 or 6 times, nut it was not feasible, no way!!!

then came to know about the forum, joined, learnt about nonetdebs, got my status file, n here i am:
    I uploaded my status file, selected repositories, typed in the packages, selecte my target os n all n all....

now when i select "new packages", it replies:

" For New Packages
    To install the package(s) xmms wine mplayer you must download the following package file(s):

No apt-get error nor package files listed to download. Apparently you already have this/those package(s) installed on the target (verify it in Synaptic). Update your status file if it is not the case. "

Can u help???

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Hi niks,

I've just tested your status file and had no problems at all. Can you try again?

Beans

The website just works great and should be ultimately useful for people like me. I enabled all the repositories from which it can download, but still for many obvious packages like beryl or audacity, it says the package is already installed.

I am sure the package is not installed in my computer.

I also have uploaded the latest status.txt file. What could be the problem? I was able to get amarok and some udates tough...

Beans

Also, the downloaded package dint install the softwares I wanted. I had asked for amarok and it had all packages except amarok. The worst thing about it is that, the packages I got also were already installed in my computer. I am very sure that I have uploaded the latest status.txt file. Is this a problem with nonetdebs? Do they have any error reporting tool?

Also, reg adding additional custom repositories, there is an option for adding only one custom repository list. This could be updagraded to a list of custom repositories, as many 3rd party softwares require more than one custom repository rom which packages are to be downloaded....

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

If nonetdebs didn't list the main amarok package, that would mean it was installed on the target- at least it was listed in the status file (maybe you just downloaded it and tried to install it with "sudo dpkg -i") or you didn't select the right repositories. Or maybe you missed some links and didn't download all the files.Can you be more specific on this problem?

I'll add more lines for repositories later. Thanks for the suggestion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Thank you epimeteo for ur reply..
    and your help as well..

I just checked for new packages on nonetdebs, it has asked a package to download and install..

Thank you very much!!

Beans

Hi Epimeteo!

Thank you very much for your answer. I installed debootstrab from the unstable branch and everything went ok.

It's always nice to find people so kind and skilled....

Beans

Excellent guide,

although when i did it I get an error

Errors encoutered while processing
    bcm43xx-fwcutter
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned error code (1)

????
    no idea what that means

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast