Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: NoNetDebs - upgrade Ubuntu without Internet (or with low-bandwidth connection)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Howto: NoNetDebs - upgrade Ubuntu without Internet (or with low-bandwidth connect

Thanks Sef, I appreciate that.

I've noticed that some people had a hard time with the registration and to get the list of packages they need or want.

Here's a way of getting it done (using a USB memory):
    A. On the offline computer, copy the status file to the USB memory. /media/disk usually is where USB memories get mounted on the system (verify if it was your case). To do it, type on a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo cp /var/lib/dpkg/status /media/disk/status.txt
    The .txt extension is needed to upload the file later.

If it is a removable media (like USB in this case) eject it before you unplug it, so no data is lost:
    Code:
    sudo eject /media/disk
    Or right-click in the media in Nautilus and click "Unmount".

B. Go to the online computer, open the browser, go to http://nonetdebs.homeip.net and create an account (click the "Create new account" link). You will need an email account to receive the password and link to activate the account.

You will receive a mail from nonetdebs AT nonetdebs.homeip.net with a link to activate your account. Just click the link to activate the account and press the "Log in" button.

C. Modify your password to one that you can remember later and click "Submit" in the end of the page.

You will be redirected to "My account" page. Now follow this steps to set up your account and to download your first packages (the next time you will only need to upload the new status file and change the name of the packages you want to download):

1. Click the link "Create your Status file from target" to upload the file to the website.

2. Click the button "Search" and select the file;
    3. The file must have a .txt extension;
    4. Click "Upload";
    5. Click "Submit".

6. After you submitted the status file, click "Edit" to edit the settings of the target.
    7. Now click "Repositories" on the top of the page.

8. Select the repositories you want. To have all the packages available from the Ubuntu repositories, enable Main, Universe, Restricted and Multiverse. To install libdvdcss2 (to play DVD's) and w32codecs (to play some video files) you will need to enable the Medibuntu repository too.
    9. Click "Submit" to save your changes.
    10. Click "Target" on the top of the page.

11. Select the Ubuntu release of the offline computer (Dapper, Edgy, Feisty, Gutsy);
    12. Select the architecture (i386, amd64, PPC or sparc);
    13. Select your locale (language). Select the UTF-8 ones in case of doubt.
    14. Click "Submit" to save your changes.

15. Click "Install".
    16. Type the name of the package you want to install on target.
    17. Click "Submit" to save your changes.
    18. Click "New Packages" on the left of the page and wait about 1 minute or so to get the list of packages you need to download.

19. Click on the links and download the package you want and all its dependencies you still don't have installed on the target and a little script to install all the packages.

D.
    Save all the package files to the USB memory. Copy the scripts to a text editor and save them to the USB memory too. If you used Windows to save the scripts, please take a look at this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=613778. It's about end-of-line characters that are different in Windows and how to make the script executable if you used a Windows text editor to save the scripts.

You're done in the connected computer.

E. Go to the offline computer, plug the USB memory (or the media you used), and open a terminal. Go to the directory where the USB memory is mounted:
    Code:
    cd /media/disk
    and run the script file you saved. If you have named it like "updates", run:
    Code:
    sudo bash updates
    The script will run the "dpkg -i" commands to install the new packages. Don't panic if you see any dependencies problems while the script is executed. An "apt-get install -f" is executed in the end of the script. It will resolve all the dependencies and finish installing the packages that were left behind.
    The next time you want to update/upgrade/install packages, you have to copy the actual status file from the offline computer to a USB memory and upload it to the website again. The status file changes when you install new packages, so you need the most recent one or else you will be downloading files you already have installed.

Enjoy Ubuntu!
    Last edited by ruibernardo; December 1st, 2007 at 02:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Howto: NoNetDebs - upgrade Ubuntu without Internet (or with low-bandwidth connect

Canonical commercial/partner and medibuntu repositories added to the website.

Please beware that some packages do further downloads when you install them. For example, if you install the package msttcorefonts (microsoft fonts), upon the install several downloads will be made, and as your target doesn't have an Internet connection, it will not be able to do it, and thus leaving the package broken (not completely installed).

Do not try to install packages on the target that make further downloads.
    Last edited by ruibernardo; November 20th, 2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added msttcorefonts example of not installable packages

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Another repository added: WineHQ for the latest versions of wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Now the website supports all computer architectures available on the repositories.

Until now only i386 was used, now the user can select the following architectures: i386, amd64 (all 64 bits PCs), powerpc (PowerPC and Apples), and sparc systems (Sun).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by epimeteo View Post
    Canonical commercial/partner and medibuntu repositories added to the website.

Please beware that some packages do further downloads when you install them. For example, if you install the package msttcorefonts (microsoft fonts), upon the install several downloads will be made, and as your target doesn't have an Internet connection, it will not be able to do it, and thus leaving the package broken (not completely installed).

Do not try to install packages on the target that make further downloads.
    If that so, what should I do if I want install msttcorefonts? Is there another way to do that (without internet connection)?

How could I know if the package will make further download? Is there any signing /something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thats a very neat solution!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by durand View Post
    Thats a very neat solution!
    Thank you durand.

Quote Originally Posted by fulllefty View Post
    If that so, what should I do if I want install msttcorefonts? Is there another way to do that (without internet connection)?
    I've found a thread in this forum to do that: msttcorefonts on standalone machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by fulllefty View Post
    How could I know if the package will make further download? Is there any signing /something?
    Unfortunatly I don't think there is any signature or something to know that. I know that the sun-java* (JRE and SDK) packages and msttcorefonts do it. The package ubuntu-restricted-extras downloads Sun Java, so it will do it too.

I'm trying to track down more packages that do further downloads to warn users about it on the website.

If you find more packages, please say.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thank you for making such a cool site like nonetdebs. It's help us a lot

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks fulllefly.

Don't forget, if you find any package that tries to make any download, post it in that thread or here.

Beans

thanks for that useful tool (website).

I would like to ask if it is possible to add repositories by hand? for example is there any way to add "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu gutsy main" to your list of repositories. It can be useful, for example to try testing kde 4 rc 2.

Best wishes.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast