Thread: Mythbuntu 7.10 tv audio not working at all

Beans

Mythbuntu 7.10 tv audio not working at all

I recently downloaded mythbuntu, set it up correctly, and *almost* everything works fine.

The audio on my computer speakers works, and plays music correctly when I insert a CD, but the problem is live TV. I have a non-split cable input and an Analog V4L capture card, in case that helps.

I have tried many different settings, but I just can't seem to get live tv audio.THe video part works fine, by the way. I get no audio driver errors or anything like that, and know that it isn't muted externally or by the | or \ mute command. If anyone could help, that would be great!

Thanks,
    Phipman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Mythbuntu 7.10 tv audio not working at all

Quote Originally Posted by phipman View Post
    I recently downloaded mythbuntu, set it up correctly, and *almost* everything works fine.

The audio on my computer speakers works, and plays music correctly when I insert a CD, but the problem is live TV. I have a non-split cable input and an Analog V4L capture card, in case that helps.

I have tried many different settings, but I just can't seem to get live tv audio.THe video part works fine, by the way. I get no audio driver errors or anything like that, and know that it isn't muted externally or by the | or \ mute command. If anyone could help, that would be great!

Thanks,
    Phipman
    Typically these cards need an external cable running from the card to the line in on your audio card. Do you have such cable ran? If so, make sure that the capture volume is not muted.

Beans

It seems that my capture card (it is an internal card, by the way) has no audio outputs, only S-video, component, and analog inputs. The cable I am using is just a regular house cable tv line, so it goes into the analog cable input. My speakers are simply connected to the integrated speaker out port on my computer. I've tried the capture card on another computer (running Windows Media Center Edition), where the audio works during live tv with only one cable tv cable input.

Maybe downgrading from 7.10 will help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by phipman View Post
    It seems that my capture card (it is an internal card, by the way) has no audio outputs, only S-video, component, and analog inputs. The cable I am using is just a regular house cable tv line, so it goes into the analog cable input. My speakers are simply connected to the integrated speaker out port on my computer. I've tried the capture card on another computer (running Windows Media Center Edition), where the audio works during live tv with only one cable tv cable input.

Maybe downgrading from 7.10 will help?
    typically downgrading won't solve problems like this.

Checkout 'dmesg' and see if some information about errors loading a driver or unknown cards show up. If not, then this is likely a configuration error in mythtv-setup.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

within mythfrontend setup of livetv, what options are chosen for playback? alsa, oss or what? also, I noticed one time that my PCM volume within alsamixer was way low, I turned that up and then I had sound again within livetv. Check these few things. As superm1 says, check dmesg for any errors with ivtv.
    Check out my Blog about my life and computer software and hardware. http://ubuntuaddicted.blogspot.com/
    My YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/ubuntuaddicted