Page 91 of 98 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Manual Network Configuration without the need for Network Manager

Beans

Re: How To: Manual Network Configuration without the need for Network Manager

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Sorry those suggestions didn't work. I have no real experience with Intel Chipsets but likely will soon.
    Kevdog
    Thanks for the help a week back. I have been away so wasn't able to reply to your post (#886).
    Anyway wifi seems to be behaving at present with my realtek card so I'm happy.

One question though following on from your comment about not liking Intel chipsets....in your experience what type of chipset works the best in linux? Do you have a recommendation....or put it another way....what do you use?

thanks

Beans

for those that a want a friendlier way to set up networks without a network manger, you should try " network-config " it's in the repos.

i don't have my usb wifi plugged in so it's grayed out but you can still see the choices.
    Last edited by kerry_s; June 19th, 2009 at 04:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

stansford

I'm not certain if I can recommend one chipset over another. I can only tell you that I have a broadcom 4306 rev 03 wireless card, along with an atheros wireless card (can't remember number off the top of my head). Its hard for me however to recommend a broadcom or atheros because of the different revision numbers or revision chipsets each company makes. Some models or numbers do really well -- others not as well. Certain numbers take one driver, others taks a different driver. For example depending on your broadcom chipset revision number, you could use either a b43, wl/STA, bcm43xx, or ndiswrapper. Depending on the atheros chipset number you could use madwifi with the old HAL layer, the newer ath5k/ath9k modules that take advantage of the newer mac80211 networking stack within the kernel, or even ndiswrapper. Of course there are exceptions with some options requiring patching of sources etc. These exceptions are important to know for example if you need to put your wireless card into monitor mode to use it as an AP or use a tool such as Kismet or Aircrack-ng.

Chipset that I don't have a lot of experience with include ra chipsets, intel, and rtl. I'm not saying these chipsets are bad, but they all have their own set of nuances that only through experience and trial and error is it possible to master.

kerry_s
    Ive never seen that utility before, however I should probably take a look. The purpose of this guide however was really however to avoid using a gui. This might be for example when your system crashes and all you have access to is a console app.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    stansford

I'm not certain if I can recommend one chipset over another. I can only tell you that I have a broadcom 4306 rev 03 wireless card, along with an atheros wireless card (can't remember number off the top of my head). Its hard for me however to recommend a broadcom or atheros because of the different revision numbers or revision chipsets each company makes. Some models or numbers do really well -- others not as well. Certain numbers take one driver, others taks a different driver. For example depending on your broadcom chipset revision number, you could use either a b43, wl/STA, bcm43xx, or ndiswrapper. Depending on the atheros chipset number you could use madwifi with the old HAL layer, the newer ath5k/ath9k modules that take advantage of the newer mac80211 networking stack within the kernel, or even ndiswrapper. Of course there are exceptions with some options requiring patching of sources etc. These exceptions are important to know for example if you need to put your wireless card into monitor mode to use it as an AP or use a tool such as Kismet or Aircrack-ng.

Chipset that I don't have a lot of experience with include ra chipsets, intel, and rtl. I'm not saying these chipsets are bad, but they all have their own set of nuances that only through experience and trial and error is it possible to master.

kerry_s
    Ive never seen that utility before, however I should probably take a look. The purpose of this guide however was really however to avoid using a gui. This might be for example when your system crashes and all you have access to is a console app.
    Kevdog,
    OK I kind of guessed that it was a real mixed bag re linux support and probably the most frustrating thing is that the way some support changes with the kernels. One time one method works and then another release comes out and it changes. That was my experience before getting the wpa_supplicant method to work anyway.

Anyway I now have 3 types of Realtek cards (2 PCI and 1 USB) and a Zydas based USB (3com) dongle all working pretty reliably via your method so as I said before I'm pretty happy.
    Many thanks for your help.

Beans

kerry_s
    Ive never seen that utility before, however I should probably take a look.
    you should definitely give it a try, it's pretty sweet, uses the command line commands wrapped in gtk2-pearl.(see pic)

The purpose of this guide however was really however to avoid using a gui. This might be for example when your system crashes and all you have access to is a console app.
    yeah, i was just throwing it out there, just in case. i wish someone had told me about it, i just came across it a couple of days ago.
    i couldn't believe how absolutely simple it is.
    you can have different profiles for different places.

it does have a few short comings, but there minor at best, example the "scan wifi networks" usually only shows the name and if it's protected.(see pic)
    once you select and choose apply, you have to wait, the quit button is grayed out, you should be able to quit if it's taking to long, again it's a minor thing.
    it's a manual thing, there's no auto about it. also minor, unless your one of those that get connection drops and have to keep clicking it to reapply. i'm not 1 of those.
    on the plus side:
    it has no running daemons, so very light
    dead simple, to switch back and fourth between connections/setups/spots.

i forgot the pics for the main> preferences
    here's those.
    Last edited by kerry_s; June 19th, 2009 at 04:14 AM.

Beans

Kevdog,

I have been trying to get your tutorial to work for the past few hours and I can make it work if I take the encryption off my network. Since that is not the most desirable way to communicate with my router, I've been trying to get my wireless card to connect via WPA-Personal encryption.

Im using a Ra-based chipset (I think)

when I type:

sudo iwpriv wlan0 set AuthMode=WPA-PSK

which returns: "Invalid command: set"
    this happens with all the iwpriv commands.

please assist. this is for my little brothers computer and I am leaving on sunday ( i dont think they will be able to get it running without me)

also my network manager doesnt appear to work. when I connected to the unencrypted network, it didn't reflect it on the top right corner of the screen. it still had the red x.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Im no expert on ra chipsets, but why don't you try the standard way for now, meaning no iwpriv statements and then let me know what happens. The ra drivers have changed recently so some of the older techniques may not be applicable.

Beans

Hey thanks for the response, I used the network-config app that someone suggested and it worked once i changed the specified driver to "wext". i guess the Ra method didnt work since the app incorporates wpa supplicant.

Beans
    Distro

Do to the way wpasupplicant is compiled in the newer kernels, only wext support is built into the compiled version. Please note this was not what it used to be. Its possible to compile the newer source code to include such specific driver support such as for ra, however it involves compiling, and also it seems that wext is a most suitable solution for almost everything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi, I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 32-bit. The internal USB wireless LAN card is Realtek 8187L. By following your great Howto I successfully established a WPA2 connection with my router. However the internal wireless card fail to start automatically during boot and I must press Fn+F10 to trigger on the wireless everytime.

How can I let the wireless card connect to the router automatically right after I press Fn+F10?

The following lines are for connecting to the router manually
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
    sudo dhclient -r wlan0
    sudo wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
    sudo dhclient wlan0
    Or, if it is possible to start the internal card automatically during boot? In XP the wifi is on automatically during boot. But in Ubuntu it is off unless I press Fn+F10 to trigger it on.

Many thanks!
    Ubuntu 7.10 on P4 1.8G and PIII 933mHz

Page 91 of 98 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast