Page 61 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Manual Network Configuration without the need for Network Manager

Beans

Re: How To: Manual Network Configuration without the need for Network Manager

I am new to linux but followed the instructions OK. Got the desired results: sending on, listening on, DHCPREQEST, DHCPACK and bound to. I still can't get onto the internet. I eventfully get a timed out error message. Is there somewhere I should be typing in my ISP's name and password? I have tried the email set up but can't send or receive email, it times out.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You might have a dns problem. If you do a:

ping 72.14.207.99

Do you get a response (this is google's ip).

Beans

thanks.
    I get: packets transmitted 5 Packets received 0 Successful packets 0%

Beans

I have re run the instructions and should have used eth0 and not eth1. I now get the error message: SET failed on device eth0 operation not supported, after typing in: sudo iwconfig eth0 essid "name_WIRELES"

Any assistance appreciated

Beans
    Distro

Are you sure your interface is eth0 -- that is usually the ethernet wired interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have successfully connected wirelessly when it's unencrypted. I have also connected when it's encrypted, manually. It says when putting the commands in the rc.local file for an encrypted network, I must make the necessary changes. I'm assuming that I put in the commands I did manually minus the "sudo", which I have. And I did make it so it runs at boot. But it does not connect when I start the computer. Help, please?

Beans
    Distro

Can you post your rc.local file so I can troubleshoot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

ifconfig eth0 down
    ifconfig ath0 down
    dhclient -r ath0
    wpa_supplicant -w -Dmadwifi -iath0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    ifconfig ath0 up
    iwconfig ath0 mode Managed
    dhclient ath0

exit 0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

wpa_supplicant.conf

ap_scan=1
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    network={
    ssid="zoom"
    scan_ssid=0
    proto=WPA
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    psk="kaP=&PAJupr4RuYe"
    pairwise=TKIP
    group=TKIP
    }

Beans
    Distro

Just to confirm that this runs manually when you type it at the command file, or when you put all the commands in a script file (owned by root), and run the script file.

If the answer is yes, the script file runs, then in the rc.local file I would put a statement like
    sleep 20

prior to the networking lines. The reason for the sleep statement is that networking is dependent on other services to be up and running at boot, and possibly the services are not established when the rc.local file is run.

Page 61 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast