Page 51 of 98 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Manual Network Configuration without the need for Network Manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: How To: Manual Network Configuration without the need for Network Manager

Hello,

This seems like a proper thread to ask this.

What can I do when everything works except for one thing..

Code:
    sim@sim:~$ iwlist scanning
    lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1      No scan results
    I know there should be at least 12 different networks around....yet somehow iwlist doesn't pick up anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Id double check the driver, dmesg, and ifconfig.

Beans

My connection is still completely unreliable... Does any one have any suggestion at least where to look for a possible answer?

Quote Originally Posted by timmyt View Post
    I'm completely and utterly frustrated with my wireless connection... I've tried several different network adapters and several different machines, but the result is about the same... my connection is great for a few seconds and then seems to stop working. Everything indicates that the connection is still up and running, but not even a ping to the router gets through.

To simplify things, I'll just talk about the one network adapter and machine...

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 with a Broadcomm "BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI" adapter using the "ndiswrapper+bcmwl5" driver.

When I run the wpa_supplicant, it seems to indicate that it's connected properly, but it never returns to the terminal to allow typing the rest of the commands (it's supposed to, right??). It ends with "EAPOL: startWhen --> 0". I then type the rest of the commands in another window (while wpa_supplicant is still running) and everything seems to work correctly. However, after about 5 seconds no traffic gets through.

After running the dhclient, I tried pinging the router until it stopped working... It started out with pings around 30-200ms, then jumped to 2000-10,000 ms pings, then dropped to 1-3ms pings. Then, it paused for a long while and started reporting "ping: sendmsg: No buffer space available". I stopped it and then restarted it and started getting:

Code:
    PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    From 192.168.0.3 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
    From 192.168.0.3 icmp_seq=6 Destination Host Unreachable
    From 192.168.0.3 icmp_seq=7 Destination Host Unreachable
    From 192.168.0.3 icmp_seq=9 Destination Host Unreachable
    From 192.168.0.3 icmp_seq=10 Destination Host Unreachable
    From 192.168.0.3 icmp_seq=13 Destination Host Unreachable
    I've used this network adapter with this router before in Ubuntu 8.04 and had no trouble. The only change is that I moved it from one city to another. I'd chalk it up to radio interference, but it all works fine in Vista, XP, and Win2000.

Beans

Okay... This doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but my connection seems to be reliable now...

I changed my SSID and password to what I used before and it now works fine. The one that didn't work had an underscore in the name and the password was all uppercase. I now have an SSID with no underscore and an all lowercase password and there are no problems now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use WEP encryption. I have spent many hours trying to get an internet connection on reboot, but no luck. I followed the WEP sections of this howto to the letter.

I made modifications to /etc/rc.local, but no luck.

I had been able to boot up using a simple script on my Desktop. Couldn't figure out why the same commands wouldn't work in rc.local and connect on boot up.

I noticed that rc.locals 1st line had #!/bin/sh -e. It's a shell command, but it wasn't working for me.

I commented that out and put #!/bin/bash. gave rc.local its permissions, rebooted and had internet!

Here is what my rc.local looks like:
    #!/bin/bash
    ####!/bin/sh -e
    #
    # rc.local
    #
    #This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
    # Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
    # value on error.
    #
    # In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
    # bits.
    #
    ifconfig eth0 down

ifconfig eth1 down
    dhclient -r eth1
    ifconfig eth1 up
    iwconfig eth1 essid "linksys"
    iwconfig eth1 encryption on
    iwconfig eth1 key a1b2c3d4e5 ASCII
    dhclient eth1
    exit 0
    For what it's worth, it worked for me! This HowTo is the place to start if you have wireless problems and Network Manager just doesn't seem to work for you.

Edit: Important bit of information: My wireless device is a Belkin Wireless USB adapter. One of the inexpensive ones you can buy at Wal-Mart. Evidently, 8.04 has a compatible native driver for this wireless adapter. No need to use ndiswrapper.
    Last edited by ubume2; June 12th, 2008 at 12:44 AM. Reason: additions

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This is truly a great guide, and it got me further than anything else to setting up my wireless.
    Atra
    Last edited by Atra_Phasma; May 24th, 2008 at 06:30 PM.
    Ideas Are Bulletproof.
    -V

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

these directions worked great for me, when trying to set a static ip (on a wired connection) I could never get anything to work, but when I did it manually as these directions showed i'm up and running no problems.

Beans
    Distro

Manual configuration is the ultimate fallback, glad it has worked for you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I tried this as a fall back because my wireless card refuses to work. I turned off the encryption on my access point and tried the first option.

It all went smoothly until the last command and I got this:

Code:
    There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 7856
    killed old client process, removed PID file
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.6
    Copyright 2004-2007 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:1b:fc:de:c6:9e
    Sending on   LPF/wlan0/00:1b:fc:de:c6:9e
    Sending on   Socket/fallback
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
    No DHCPOFFERS received.
    No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
    Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Yes, can you post the following:

lshw -C network
    iwlist scan

I would just like to check a few parameters!

Page 51 of 98 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast