Page 39 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Manual Network Configuration without the need for Network Manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How To: Manual Network Configuration without the need for Network Manager

sudo iwconfig <interface> essid "name"

name is the physical name of the access point?

This line should be something like:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "RouterLan"

That's an example!!

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    ap_scan=1
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    ctrl_interface_group=0
    eapol_version=1
    ap_scan=0
    network={
    key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
    eap=TTLS
    anonymous_identity="xxx@yyy.yy"
    phase2="auth=PAP"
    identitctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    ctrl_interfy="xxx@yyy.yy"
    password="xxx"
    }

ctrl_interface_group=0
    eapol_version=1
    ap_scan=1
    network={
    ssid="eduroam"
    proto=WPA WPA2
    key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
    group=CCMP TKIP
    eap=TTLS
    anonymous_identity="xxx@yyy.yy"
    phase2="auth=PAP"
    identity="xxx@yyy.yy"
    password="xxx"
    }
    Do you need to repeat the following information:
    ctrl_interface_group=0
    eapol_version=1
    ap_scan=1

I don't have a lot of experience with TTLS, EAP.

Beans

Talking Re: How To: Manual Network Configuration without the need for Network Manager

hi kevdog

just had to send a whopping big thank you

sorry It had to be said
    zo

Beans

Hi,

Some time ago I reported I got wifi working on a Toshiba with rtl8187B, by using Xcuervo's modified driver and Kevdog's manual commands.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=630791&page=2

Now I ran into something I didn't expect. Playing with logical interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces (not effecting wlan0), I stopped the NetworkManager with

sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/26NetworkManagerDispatcher stop
    sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager stop

That second command did not always work, then I added:
    killall NetworkManager

I find that having killed NetworkManager this way, loading Xcuervo's driver does not result in bringing up wlan0 according to the ifconfig command. iwlist scan does not work either, it reports: wlan0 Failed to read scan data: Operation not permitted

If I start NetworkManager again, loading the modified driver does result in ifconfig showing wlan0.

So it seems the modified driver needs NetworkManager, even to use the manual commands.

Beans
    Distro

You might want to confirm that with cuervo, however its possible you have to load the driver by hand -- (if thats what the Network Manager Process is doing). I'd be surprised if operation of the driver is really dependent on NM as there are other GUIs available such as WICD, wifi radar.

That being said, Ive never had any personal experience with cuervo's driver or used it, so I can't say for certain.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    That being said, Ive never had any personal experience with cuervo's driver or used it, so I can't say for certain.
    Oops, my stupidity

After loading the driver I have to bring it up first, of course, with ifconfig wlan0 up, before ifconfig can show it...

Beans

What commands are you using to load the cuervo driver manually? Reading his site it looks like it relys on commands getting executed in /etc/network/interfaces. NetworkManager makes use of that file to determine which interfaces to use, and what commands to run when bringing them up/down. Without NM running, those commands won't get executed unless you run them, which means the driver won't load correctly. I'm not an expert on the inner-workings of NM, but from what I've read of their source code they don't mess around with anything at the driver level. They just make use of what's already there.

Beans

Hi I followed the tutorial trying to conect to wpa2 but when I type

Code:
    sudo wpa_supplicant -w -Dwext -ieth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    the terminal stops there with no output. When I open a terminal and type the next commands it can't obtain an ip. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Wadi

Beans
    Distro

imdano

Isn't that what differentiates ifconfig <interface> up vs ifup <interface>?? Doesn't the latter command ifup read the network interfaces file when bringing up the interface and use this file as a configuration file to set the parameters?? This is what I always believed. So I guess if you needed to bring up the interface you would us ifup rather than ifconfig up.

Am I wrong in this assumption?

Beans
    Distro

wadijm

If you could run the following command:

sudo wpa_supplicant -w -Dwext -ieth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd

and also post your
    /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file, that would be great.

Page 39 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast