Thread: page length differences between OO documents in Ubuntu and Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

page length differences between OO documents in Ubuntu and Windows

Hi everyone,

My printer broke recently, so I've been having to use public computers (running Windows, sadly) to print papers. Consequently, I've noticed that there's a disparity in the number of pages of my documents between Windows and Linux: it's not much, but a document that's five pages single-spaced in Ubuntu comes out to be about 4.5 pages in Windows (in both OpenOffice and Word), even if both documents have the same margins and use the same font-size (I use Nimbus in Linux but Times New Roman in Windows, but they appear to be pretty identical to me).

I was wondering if other people experience this, and out of curiosity if anyone knows why it happens.

Beans

Re: page length differences between OO documents in Ubuntu and Windows

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    Hi everyone,

My printer broke recently, so I've been having to use public computers (running Windows, sadly) to print papers. Consequently, I've noticed that there's a disparity in the number of pages of my documents between Windows and Linux: it's not much, but a document that's five pages single-spaced in Ubuntu comes out to be about 4.5 pages in Windows (in both OpenOffice and Word), even if both documents have the same margins and use the same font-size (I use Nimbus in Linux but Times New Roman in Windows, but they appear to be pretty identical to me).

I was wondering if other people experience this, and out of curiosity if anyone knows why it happens.
    I don't know why it happens (you might have better luck in the OO forums), but I actually see the opposite: OO documents I create in Windows use fewer pages in Linux. Since it's only an issue for a small number of my older documents, I've never bothered to track down the actual cause. I'm using exactly the same font, margins, and printer. I'm guessing it has something to do with the differences in the OO build, but what I don't know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have no idea why its happens, but here's what I do with my essays and assignments (I also have no printer at home). I simply export a .pdf document from OO.org and then open that on the school's computers and print from there.

Works like a charm!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NovaAesa View Post
    I have no idea why its happens, but here's what I do with my essays and assignments (I also have no printer at home). I simply export a .pdf document from OO.org and then open that on the school's computers and print from there.

Works like a charm!
    I also use the pdf trick regularly, though more often because I'm dealing with a situation where I'd have to export to MS Word otherwise. Also, completely coincidentally, I happened to open a calc file saved in OO 2.2 on Ubuntu in OO 2.04 on Red Hat, and found that OO 2.04 produced a smaller page (less material fit) with identical print settings. There must be something subtle going on in the preferences chosen during build, or between versions.