Thread: problem with automatic weekly build

Beans

problem with automatic weekly build

edit... i guess this sounds like a question.. which is probably inappropriate for a development product. i was really just curious as to whether it was a bug in the latest build .. or a stevetv bug (im good at breaking things).

did i have a problem with the automatic weekly build?

i added the apt-key and the repository as directed. and then sudo apt-get upgrade. apt installed updates for most of the mythtv modules.

i use standard XvMC with bob x 2 deinterlacing. this combination has worked well for me for several years.

however prior to the up i was able to view tv using ffmpeg or indeed the other decoders. after the upgrade i was ONLY able to use XvMC. if i use something other than the standard XvMC or VIA XvMC, i cannot watch tv.. it's as if the horizontal or vertial sync is out somehow.. and i just get lines across the screen.

even with XvMC enabled, i get a garbled screen for the first second or so until the XvMC kicks in (ie the time that it would previously take for the USD to go from colour to black and white).

Sorry for my crap knowledge... the weekly builds simply updates mythtv to the latest ubuntu build correct?

i actually reformatted and did a reinstall. possibly i shouldve looked at the logs. i'll do it again to see if i can repeat the problem.. and then post logs.
    Last edited by stevetv; October 8th, 2007 at 12:30 PM.

Beans

Re: problem with automatic weekly build

just posting my sig.. which contains my hardware specs.
    hello. thanks for reading my post
    GA-7N400 mobo, athlon xp 3200+, 1 gig duel channel ddr
    winfast leadtek 7300GT, Technisat AirStar 2 DVB-T
    onboard sound and lan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by stevetv View Post
    edit... i guess this sounds like a question.. which is probably inappropriate for a development product. i was really just curious as to whether it was a bug in the latest build .. or a stevetv bug (im good at breaking things).

did i have a problem with the automatic weekly build?

i added the apt-key and the repository as directed. and then sudo apt-get upgrade. apt installed updates for most of the mythtv modules.

i use standard XvMC with bob x 2 deinterlacing. this combination has worked well for me for several years.

however prior to the up i was able to view tv using ffmpeg or indeed the other decoders. after the upgrade i was ONLY able to use XvMC. if i use something other than the standard XvMC or VIA XvMC, i cannot watch tv.. it's as if the horizontal or vertial sync is out somehow.. and i just get lines across the screen.

even with XvMC enabled, i get a garbled screen for the first second or so until the XvMC kicks in (ie the time that it would previously take for the USD to go from colour to black and white).

Sorry for my crap knowledge... the weekly builds simply updates mythtv to the latest ubuntu build correct?

i actually reformatted and did a reinstall. possibly i shouldve looked at the logs. i'll do it again to see if i can repeat the problem.. and then post logs.
    From what version did you upgrade? And which weekly build did you choose? Both trunk and 0.20-fixes are available as weekly builds.

There shouldn't be any significant mythtv changes (mostly packaging changes) between the 0.20.2 in feisty-updates and the one on weekly-fixes.

Beans

yeah sorry for my poor explanation of my problem.

i have installed Mythbuntu 7.10 Public Beta, and then added the apt-key and repos for the 0.20.2 fixes builds. im not really a developer so stable upgrade suits me.

i just did this

Code:
    Enabling The Repository (0.20.2 Fixes Builds)

Follow these directions to add/enable the repository if you are intending to use the release-0-20-fixes branch

wget http://mythbuntu.org/files/EEED06D0.gpg && sudo apt-key add EEED06D0.gpg && rm EEED06D0.gpg

echo "deb http://uk.weeklybuilds.mythbuntu.org/mythbuntu/ubuntu feisty multiverse universe restricted main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mythbuntu-feisty.list

sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get upgrade
    after this upgrade, i was only able to use XvMC to view tv. without XvMC enables, my screen was just garbled picture. sound was fine.

ive since reinstalled, and everything is fine. but i havent retried the weekly update.

The final release will include a backup and restore... ill wait till then before i change too many things. ive got a working box.. so im happy.
    onboard sound and lan

Beans

sorry.. it was my fault and nothing to do with the weekly build.

i had selected openGL vertical sync for timing in the general playback settings menu. with this selected, i can only get vertical sync when im using XvMC.

to me this is slightly unusual behavior? .. i don't remember this been a problem with knoppmyth... but possibly it always was..
    onboard sound and lan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well this likely isn't the cause of your direct problem, but do note that those weekly builds are only for feisty. New gutsy builds will not be introduced until gutsy is released.

Beans

right... i didn't know that. ive not used ubuntu before so naming convention didnt mean much to me. i'm up with it now though.. probably something i shouldve read before i started upgrading.

in my most recent fresh install, ive only upgraded using the repos included by your install .. of which there are many. so i presume thats the correct way.

thanks for the reply.
    onboard sound and lan