Thread: Lose video on install of Mythbuntu 7.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Lose video on install of Mythbuntu 7.10

My hardware:
    Abit iL-90MV (motherboard for 'mobile' CPUs) with on-board graphics.
    Core 2 Duo Mobile CPU 1.83GHz.
    2GB Corsair memory.

I load the Mythbuntu 7.01 CD into the CD drive, check its integrity and then restart to boot. It boots OK. Then the Mythbuntu screen appears with the 'cylon' eye going back and forth. For a short while there is quiet, then the CD starts up again. The loading starts up and, once loaded, the video disappears. After about 10 minutes the CD starts up again but still the video does not reappear - and does not appear again.

I tried using the 'safe graphics' option on the Mythbuntu screen. This time there was a bit more action, I didn't lose video, but the install stalled when it reported 'LIRC not configured'. After trying to run the LIRC Deamon it reported:
    'The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90 seconds. It is likely that something bad is going on. Waiting for 2 minutes before trying again on display :0.'
    I don't currently, have an Infrared device. Is it essential for the install?

I had the nasty feeling that my motherboard might not be compatible with Linux so I tried booting from a Fiesty Fawn 7.04 beta disk that I happened to have. It booted up perfectly and I didn't lose video at any time.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to get the Mythbuntu disk to work?
    Last edited by technoboi; October 7th, 2007 at 11:57 AM.

Beans

Re: Lose video on install of Mythbuntu 7.10

Hi,

does this also happen with a regular gutsy disk?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by laga View Post
    Hi,

does this also happen with a regular gutsy disk?
    I don't know - I've only tried 7.04. I'll download 7.10, try it, and report back.

Beans
    Distro

I've just checked the computer out with Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop beta.
    The results were similar to that with Mythbuntu. So it looks like it is the 7.10 beta that is at fault and not Mythbuntu.
    I suppose all that can be done now is hope that it is fixed for the 'release' version of 7.10 and then, presumably, a release of Mythbuntu will follow.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by technoboi View Post
    I suppose all that can be done now is hope that it is fixed for the 'release' version of 7.10 and then, presumably, a release of Mythbuntu will follow.
    There's even more you can do: file a bug. I presume that the xorg driver is at fault, although I can't be sure. You can file a bug here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...rg-video-intel