Thread: Steam works with wine, now for games.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Steam works with wine, now for games.

I have steam working under wine, but now how can I get games? I want to try getting a few demos, but whenever I click install the screen just goes white and nothing happens. I'm a newbie to wine, can anyone help me? Do i need to execute steam with certain parameters?
    Pentium 4 HT @ 2.79 Ghz | 2 GB RAM | 256 MB Nvidia Geforce 6200 | Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron | Compiz Fusion 0.7.6 | Rhythmbox | Wine 1.0 | Mozilla Firefox 3 | Eclipse SDK

Beans

Re: Steam works with wine, now for games.

try cdega, its wine on steroids, its buy only software, but with certain searches on certain sites you'll find it for free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by sidey1234 View Post
    try cdega, its wine on steroids, its buy only software, but with certain searches on certain sites you'll find it for free
    i've been lead to believe there is very little difference, not enough to justify paying or stealing it.

Look at the instructions for your particular game on www.winehq.com , usually it just consists of changing windows version or something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac View Post
    i've been lead to believe there is very little difference, not enough to justify paying or stealing it.

Look at the instructions for your particular game on www.winehq.com , usually it just consists of changing windows version or something.
    Actually there is quite a difference as far as getting games to work. A prime example I'd like to give is City of Heroes/Villains (CoX). I tried everything I could to get that game working with Wine. Even looking at the AppDB for Wine shows that it's compatibility is crap. I couldn't even get the installer to work. With Cedega, it took about as much effort as getting up to grab a glass of water.

As much as I hate to admit it, Cedega works great for things that are just too stubborn to get working with Wine. Though, I'd rather see companies release native software than being ignorant to the potential of the Linux Gamers market. As long as we keep using tools like Wine or Cedega, developers will see no incentive to produce games native to Linux.

---

That out of the way, Steam works great with Cedega.
    Last edited by Seraed; October 7th, 2007 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Opps, went off on my rant again.
    "Greed is for amateurs. Disorder, chaos, anarchy: now that's fun!" -Top Dollar, from The Crow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Can I have wine and cedega installed simultaneously?
    Pentium 4 HT @ 2.79 Ghz | 2 GB RAM | 256 MB Nvidia Geforce 6200 | Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron | Compiz Fusion 0.7.6 | Rhythmbox | Wine 1.0 | Mozilla Firefox 3 | Eclipse SDK