View Poll Results: Is Piracy stoping Opensource?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes piracy is true in my neighborhood and is harming Opensource.

14 43.75%
  • Yes piracy is true in my neighbourhood but is not harming opensource.

12 37.50%
  • No, I haven't observerd piracy in my neighbourhood.

6 18.75%
  • Others(Please specify)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is piracy real threat to Linux/Ubuntu/Open Source?

Beans

Is piracy real threat to Linux/Ubuntu/Open Source?

I recently came across an article by one member of Tokyo Linux User Group here. It strongly suggested that piracy is cause that most people don't adopt open-source. I realized that Piracy is in fact one of the strongest reason halting adoption of Linux even after its doing much better than other softwares. Atleast this has been true in my observation. Rarely have a found a person running original piece of software, except when it came from an OEM.
    What do you think?
    a) Piracy is true, and it is actively stopping adoption of Linux/Ubuntu/Opensource near my neighborhood.
    b) Piracy is true, but it doesnot contributes significantly to reasons why people don't adopt Linux/Ubuntu/Opensource. Infact it is more ease of use,etc etc
    c) I haven't observerd piracy in great deal, and it must be something happening elsewhere
    d) Others(Please specify)
    Last edited by mysticmatrix; October 2nd, 2011 at 03:14 AM.

Beans

Re: Is piracy real threat to Linux/Ubuntu/Open Source?

If (when) FOSS surpasses the pirated proprietary software in pure quality, then there will be no need for people to pirate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

He definitely has a point. I'm not sure I know anyone who got Vista legally..except by OEMs. Otherwise, they never pay for the software...and even retailers sell OSes at OEM prices here.

So, basically it knocks off one of Linux's greatest advantages, free as in beer. And with that factored out, the playing field shifts dramatically towards Windows, as they are already familiar with it. There is no need to learn a new interface, or learn how to use new software. The same goes for other software, be it Office, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc.

I am one of those few guys who made the decision to switch to Linux...however, I confess that I didn't look at the price. Sure, it's cool being free, but I could get XP for a measly amount at government grant prices, being a student. Or I could download it. I wanted to use Linux because of the challenge, and I also liked the philosophy of open source software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza558 View Post
    If (when) FOSS surpasses the pirated proprietary software in pure quality, then there will be no need for people to pirate.
    Still, there remains the difficulty of relearning new tools and relearning new software.

I think some of it does now but people like to use software they are familiar with don't they. I work in a college and most of the students use cracked/ripped, whatever you want to call it, software. I always say to these people when the discussion arises that "If you want free software use free software".
    Noli illegitimi carborundum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by leg View Post
    I think some of it does now but people like to use software they are familiar with don't they. I work in a college and most of the students use cracked/ripped, whatever you want to call it, software. I always say to these people when the discussion arises that "If you want free software use free software".
    But do they care what free software is? For most of them, free = gratis. They don't care if the source is open or not. For them, opensource software = freeware, and most freeware = crap or viruses, ergo opensource = viruses/insecurity.

When you mention that Linux is free, most people say: Is it legal? There must be a catch somewhere.

Beans

Wouldn't care if a pirate stole my vista.But its to late for that !I threw it overboard .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlinzzz View Post
    Wouldn't care if a pirate stole my vista.But its to late for that !I threw it overboard .
    Arr..you got it to walk the plank, did you?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza558 View Post
    Compiz Fusion surpasses any crap Apple or Microsoft can offer. How many people know about that?
    PS: This was just a example

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by mysticmatrix View Post
    Compiz Fusion surpasses any crap Apple or Microsoft can offer. How many people know about that?
    PS: This was just a example
    Few do. However, until recently, it was too hard to get working for most people.
    EDIT : Of course, gutsy will probably solve most of these problems, but not enough. Drivers are one of the great problems in Linux....damn Nvidia for not releasing OSS drivers that can be preinstalled with any linux distro. If ATI does this, my next card will def. be ATI..
    I remember showing a friend of mine beryl on youtube. He was : Woot! This is great!

He's not bad with computers, so he tried to get it installed. However, he quickly ran into difficulties as he had an ATI card. Eventually, with much trouble he got it installed, but he said : boy, it wasn't worth all the crap I had to go through. What could I say? I had an nvidia card, and, to boot, 4 years of linux experience. He had no experience in Linux, even though through numerous google howtos, he managed to do it. Kudos to him.

Now he just uses Linux for servers, as he is a hardcore gamer.
    Last edited by Lord Illidan; October 6th, 2007 at 08:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast