Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Re: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

Thanks. If it would be possible, could you also tell which components are essential for ubuntu. Such as; ram-disk, initrd module, ext3 as part of kernel and so on. It's nice that there are lot's of users here who are willing to help us noobs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just compiled my kernel, and now neither my ethernet card nor my wireless card shows up in Networking. I tried lspci and both were there. How do I enable them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelM
    I just compiled my kernel, and now neither my ethernet card nor my wireless card shows up in Networking. I tried lspci and both were there. How do I enable them?
    Did you follow EVERY step of my guide?
    If not step back to your previous working kernel and repeat the process as described in my guide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by tseliot
    Did you follow EVERY step of my guide?
    If not step back to your previous working kernel and repeat the process as described in my guide.
    Well, I'm not certain. I followed steps 1 to 3 exactly, and then I had to work offline, and the guide wasn't cached. luca_linux's kernel compilation howto was available offline, so that's what I followed for the last few steps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, I'm not certain. I followed steps 1 to 3 exactly, and then I had to work offline, and the guide wasn't cached. luca_linux's kernel compilation howto was available offline, so that's what I followed for the last few steps.
    Print the guide (if you need it offline) and follow EVERY step of this guide. Then if you have any problem I can help you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok, I'll try it again tomorrow. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, I just tried it again, and the same thing happened. It seemed to use the .config that I had made in my last attempt, which may be a problem. How do I reset the config to the defaults? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Beans

tseliot, can you provide some insight on this kernel issue I can't figure out:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=62800

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Hi!

Well I'm having a little problem because of my own stupidity... I forgot to change my graphic driver from ati to vesa and now i gat a blank screen on boot...
    Is there any way to simply change that or I have to recompile again? It lasted almost 2 hours on my laptop....

thanks, Miha

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, I just tried it again, and the same thing happened. It seemed to use the .config that I had made in my last attempt, which may be a problem. How do I reset the config to the defaults? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    boot using kernel 2.6.10 (the one with which Ubuntu comes by default) and repeat the process. Remember to give your new kernel a different name from the ones you did before

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast