Thread: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

Quote Originally Posted by cyclister
    Hey man I really trying here I do not what to do I see that your some kind of king at this hehe.Oki I have a shity nvidia vanta 6 card stands in my device manager.
    I have breezy if I check in terminal I want hoary hedhog, I have higher recetptions but might missed one step, I think not I can see many more packs now.
    And I have gnome and think I want to stay with that.
    1 first I want to change to Hoary how to?
    Only change name but Hoary xxxx ?
    I standing in the
    /usr/src$ cd /usr/src/linuxsudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.11 /usr/src/linux

And the file do not exist
    Standing though in /usr/src$
    Trying out the next step sudo make menuconfig or xconfig
    In terminal I can read "terminal no rule to create target" I have not an englisch version.And I follow everything bit by bit.
    Hey man what to do?

Offtopic
    Saying again your the king on compilmation matters, how did you become a master
    in this?
    You are surely a rare guy, take that as a compliment.
    Thanks for the compliment but I'm not a "king" of compilation. I had to learn how to compile my kernel because my previous computer was very unfriendly to Linux. I followed Luca_linux's guide in this forum and I thought my experience could be useful to many newbies. Believe me I don't know if you can understand what what kind of problems I had to face because of hardware incompatibilities. (Fortunately I've bought a new computer that works out of the box with Linux). I don't want any newbie to get as frustrated as I got and for this reason I write my guides. I'm just a common guy who learns fast.

About your problem:

1) delete your linux folder:
    sudo rm linux

then

cd /usr/src/

ls (in this way you will see the content of the folder)

See the name of the folder with the linux source (and make sure there is not a double folder, one inside the other, for example /linux-source-2.6.11/linux-source-2.6.11/) and put it when I put the word in red

sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.11 linux

cd linux

ls

sudo make menuconfig

2) About Hoary: if you want to switch to Hoary (from Breezy) you will have to download a Hoary iso image and install it over Breezy.
    Last edited by tseliot; September 22nd, 2005 at 08:39 AM.