Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

Really nice howto but I need to select an option in the library routines menu so I have to compile the kernel from www.kernel.org.That's not a problem because I have done it succesfully several times.

The problem is that I need to build a module outside the kernel and for that I need to select crc functions when I do the "make menuconfig".The thing is that I cannot select one of them(the one in the middle which says "CRC32 options" in kernel 2.6.8).

I'm sure that one is the one I need since I have built the module I need with no errors but a warning saying that the module doesnt have a CRC.I just cant select it neither as a built-in option or as a module.I guess that option depends on others so I'm able to select it but I've tried many conbinations and nothing.

Could anyone help me or guide to find the solution?

What I'm trying to build is seppl-0.4 that you can find in http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/seppl

Thank's in advance

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tseliot
    Thanks. I really don't know why kernel compilation only works in this way. Perhaps it's just Ubuntu. I really don't know.
    You need to use initrd if you do not build your disk controller driver and the file system driver (ext3) into the kernel (cannot be a loadable module). I'm booting 2.6.13 just fine without initrd. I just downloaded the kernel source and applied the ck patch set.

Beans

I am not sure how did you do that because I've tried to build like every possibly fs driver into the kernel not as a module and it still asks for initrd.img

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by osxus3r
    I am not sure how did you do that because I've tried to build like every possibly fs driver into the kernel not as a module and it still asks for initrd.img

try to do this:

cd /boot
    mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-kernel_version kernel_version

for example,if you are compiling 2.6.8 then would be something like:
    mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8 2.6.8

after that just add it in /boot/grub/menu.lst so at the end it looks like this:

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8
    root (hd0,0) #this depends on where you have uinstalled it
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8 root=/dev/hda1 ro
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8
    savedefault
    boot

You probably have to do this before everything:

apt-get install initrd-tools

good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

fantastic guide this is the first (sucussesful) kernel i have ever built.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

i had problems with saa7134 failing during the compalation of 2.6.11 and it seems to be a fairly active bug(?).
    Code:
    drivers/media/video/saa7134/saa7134-dvb.c: In function `dvb_init':
    drivers/media/video/saa7134/saa7134-dvb.c:56: error: too few arguments to function `videobuf_dvb_register'
    typing;
    sudo gedit /usr/src/linux/.config

and then disabling the lines that had 'saa7134' in them (change the m to a n) seems to work, allthough if someone wants to come back here and tell me that, that just so happens to be something that you need, please do so

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by odin
    try to do this:

cd /boot
    mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-kernel_version kernel_version

for example,if you are compiling 2.6.8 then would be something like:
    mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8 2.6.8

after that just add it in /boot/grub/menu.lst so at the end it looks like this:

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8
    root (hd0,0) #this depends on where you have uinstalled it
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8 root=/dev/hda1 ro
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8
    savedefault
    boot

You probably have to do this before everything:

apt-get install initrd-tools

good luck
    thanks for help odin

I managed to create initrd.img, it loads fine (the image) but then nothing happens! it won't continue booting at all after displaying 'welcome to linux-2.6.13-custom'

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by osxus3r
    thanks for help odin

I managed to create initrd.img, it loads fine (the image) but then nothing happens! it won't continue booting at all after displaying 'welcome to linux-2.6.13-custom'

Ok.I'm sorry,I just saw your previous posts and if we are talking about a Mac I have no idea.I havent even seen many of those

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I'm using breezy and didnät manage to get kernel working. Allways get some error, few times not even loading kernel, few times filesystem, one time something else and latest time graphics just went into a mess and no error notification. Hope someone makes a new easier how to for breezy and kernel 2.6.13

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by GoA
    I'm using breezy and didnät manage to get kernel working. Allways get some error, few times not even loading kernel, few times filesystem, one time something else and latest time graphics just went into a mess and no error notification. Hope someone makes a new easier how to for breezy and kernel 2.6.13
    kernel 2.6.13 works ok in Hoary. I'll write a new guide when I switch to Breezy.

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast