Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

tseliot, if I compile my own kernel using tarball from kernel.org, will I be able to later install NVIDIA driver from NVIDIA.com ? If yes, how?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hussam
    tseliot, if I compile my own kernel using tarball from kernel.org, will I be able to later install NVIDIA driver from NVIDIA.com ? If yes, how?
    In the same way as you do with any other kernel. There are lots of HOWTOs in this section. However if you want me to guide you through the process you'll have to wait because I have to go now.

Bye bye.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok, I'm back, sorry I didn't mean to be rude, but I was such in a hurry. You can use my HOWTO but it is aimed at Ubuntu Breezy users

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=52924

For this reason you should skip these lines you will find in my HOWTO:

CC=gcc-3.4 (here you have to put the number of the gcc you used to compile your kernel, which is 3.4 in my case*)

export CC

These commands are not needed for any of the kernels in Ubuntu Hoary (the current stable version which you installed).

Just follow the HOWTO and they driver will work fine. It's very easy.

I hope this helps you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

can i just ask, i've noticed that in some of the howtos the mention kernel headers. These seem to only be 65mb so can't be the kernel source. what are they? why do i need them or why should i use these rather than downloading the source, which for me would be linux-source-2.6.10.

Thank you.
    Last edited by c-m; August 15th, 2005 at 10:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by c-m
    can i just ask, i've noticed that in some of the howtos the mention kernel headers. These seem to only be 65mb so can't be the kernel source. what are they? why do i need them or why should i use these rather than downloading the source, which for me would be linux-source-2.6.10.

Thank you.
    Well, I'm not an expert so I don't know exactly what they are. But I know that every kernel has its headers and they are useful to compile modules, this happens for example when you have to install the drivers for your graphic card or when you try to install Vmware (an emulator which allows you to install Windows and other OS in Linux). The source is not needed if you have the headers and their respective kernel installed.

The source is needed in order to compile a new kernel and, thanks to my HOWTO both the kernel image and headers can be created (just follow the instructions).

I hope this makes things a bit clearer for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

thanks, i've just never seen them on a distro i've used before.

I don't understand the making kernels in ubuntu, i'm used to doing "make && make modules_install" then coping the image, .config and system.map to /boot. A quick edit of /boot/grub/menu.lst and you are on your way.

Is the way in the howto a better way for ubuntu systems or just a different way of doing the same thing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by c-m
    thanks, i've just never seen them on a distro i've used before.

I don't understand the making kernels in ubuntu, i'm used to doing "make && make modules_install" then coping the image, .config and system.map to /boot. A quick edit of /boot/grub/menu.lst and you are on your way.

Is the way in the howto a better way for ubuntu systems or just a different way of doing the same thing?
    There's no need to edit menu.lst as Grub is updated automatically when you install the kernel. That's the way it works in Ubuntu.

I have compiled kernels only in Ubuntu and I have never used the command "make && make modules_install". I admit my ignorance . Perhaps luca_linux or other experienced users are able to answer to your questions.

Beans

I don't know if this was a smart thing to do, but I changed a few things around, and guessed on a few things, and installed 2.6.12.5 from kernel.org. Everything seems to be running fine (although my splashy bootup screen is gone ) has anyone else done this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by deaderthanyou
    I don't know if this was a smart thing to do, but I changed a few things around, and guessed on a few things, and installed 2.6.12.5 from kernel.org. Everything seems to be running fine (although my splashy bootup screen is gone ) has anyone else done this?
    It's a good thing to play with your kernel (you can learn lots of things) if you know what you're doing. I've never used splashy but I've read somewhere it needs to be supported by the kernel. Can anyone confirm this?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

hi!

got my new kernel (2.6.10). i did everything as you said. when i run my system i get this when hal is being loaded
    Code:
    [W] hald.d:302 : your kernel does not support capabilities; some features will not be aviable
    everything works fine so i dont care much about it (now).

when i try to set dma on my dvd i get exacly the same thing as before.
    Code:
    copter@xidge:~$ hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd

/dev/dvd:
     setting using_dma to 1 (on)
     HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Permission denied
     using_dma    =  0 (off)
    i have no idea what to do now to record and use my dvd. ive read all threads on this forum and did all the tricks people posted. nothing seems to work on my computer.

copter :]

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast