Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

OK so that didn't work..

I changed the xorg.conf file to say ati with no luck. I then tried radeon and nothing.

Currently it says:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "fglrx"

I could have sworn that "Identifier" use to say ATI somthing or other.
    I also have another file called xorg.conf~. So just in case i changed both of them to say the same stuff, but nothing...

i'll try and do this without editing the file and see what happens... tomorrow hehe
    Last edited by Werderx; November 11th, 2008 at 09:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hi all!

I'm trying to build the kernel 2.6.27 to lighten it for use Ubuntu on my ThinkPad x20 laptop (PIII, 320Mb RAM). Now it's working a bit slow...

I've read lots of howtos, and that's the way I could succesfully compile the sources from kernel.org:

Code:
    cd /usr/src
    tar -jxvf linux-source-2.6.27.tar.bz2
    cd linux-source.2.6.27
    make menuconfig
    make-kpkg clean
    make-kpkg --initrd --revision=x20 kernel_image
    Everything is good, but I have a pcmcia WiFi adapter that runs only with ndiswrapper, which disappears in compiled kernel ('module not found' when I'm doing modprobe ndiswrapper).

Then I've tried to config and build kernel source from Ubuntu repos, but it won't compile anyway.
    For now it looks so:

Code:
      LD      arch/x86/vdso/built-in.o
      LD      vmlinux.o
    ubuntu/built-in.o:(.bss+0x2ec): multiple definition of `debug'
    arch/x86/kernel/built-in.o:(.kprobes.text+0x78): first defined here
    ld: Warning: size of symbol `debug' changed from 76 in arch/x86/kernel/built-in.o to 4 in ubuntu/built-in.o
    make[1]: *** [vmlinux.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.27'
    make: *** [debian/stamp-build-kernel] Error 2
    So, what can I do with this?

Beans

Ok... So When i finally got the kernel to compile, I ran out of room on the /usr partition LOL. ahhhh the insanity.

I got a white screen when i tried to run gparted v. 0.3.9-4, so i just reformatted. :/ No real biggie since I'm not putting anything of importance on my linux HDD until I'm close to being a guru lol. This time when I reformatted, I made the /usr partition 70 gigs (another lesson learned) hehe.

Between this forum and another one at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...h-2.6.27.5.bz2, I was able to get my kernel updated from 2.6.24 to 2.6.27... However, after rebooting, I got a white screen and no sound. LOL

So I'm back to 2.6.24. I'll just chill with what I have after a week of wrestling with this. LOL
    I learned a lot though and this guide was great! Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

What am I doing wrong here.

I am trying to compile 2.6.27.7 and am running into fun results.

3)Open Terminal or Konsole (if it's not open yet) and type these commands:

Code:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    sudo apt-get install kernel-package

<<<<<do I need this in step 3 and if so what do I put here the bz2 filename>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

NOTE: HOWTO compile from a vanilla kernel from kernel.org

If you want to compile from a vanilla kernel from kernel.org something need to be changed in my guide:

Skip point 2
    You have to download it from www.kernel.org (try the latest stable kernel source)

When you get to Point 3 of the guide and you get to the following lines you have to modify them in this way:

cd /home/your_username_folder/directory_where_you_put_the_downloaded_kernel (instead of cd /usr/src) (e.g. "cd /home/alberto/download" in my case)
    sudo tar --bzip2 -xvf linux-source-2.6.10.tar.bz2 /usr/src (use the name of the file you downloaded)
    sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.10 /usr/src/linux (use the name of the file you downloaded)
    cd /usr/src/linux

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<And what is causing me this headache?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ghost@topper:~/Desktop/1$ ls directory where I stored the download
    linux-2.6.27.7.tar.bz2 the download does exist there
    ghost@topper:~/Desktop/1$ cd /usr/src checked that directory exists
    ghost@topper:/usr/src$ cd ~
    ghost@topper:~$ cd Desktop/1 moved back to directory
    ghost@topper:~/Desktop/1$ sudo tar --bzip2 -xvf linux-2.6.27.7.tar.bz2 /usr/src linux-2.6.27.7.tar.bz2

it took about 2 minutes before it came back with this information

tar: /usr/src: Not found in archive
    tar: linux-2.6.27.7.tar.bz2: Not found in archive
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    ghost@topper:~/Desktop/1$

any and all help will be appreciated... and yes I am a Nooob 2.

Beans

sudo tar -xvf linux-2.6.27.7.tar.bz2 -C /usr/src

You don't need to add --bzip2 with tar anymore whlinux-source-2.6.27en its data coming from a file. If it had that type of compression coming over a network or another stream then it would be needed

the -C switch says to unpack it into a specific directory, in this case /usr/src which I assume you want. You'd want to then
    cd /usr/src

And I think the next part is in the guide...
    rm linux
    ln -s linux-source-2.6.27 linux

except in the above line you'de substitute linux-source-2.6.27 for whatever the name of the source is. If you got it from ubuntu then it would be linux-source-2.6.27 but from kernel.org or elsewhere it might be differant.
    It should be clearer, if you get this far, where to pick back up from the guide.

If you don't want to build in /usr/src then you can specify another location after the -C switch in the first line, but it's the recommended place.

Quote Originally Posted by masaki View Post
    Hi all!

I'm trying to build the kernel 2.6.27 to lighten it for use Ubuntu on my ThinkPad x20 laptop (PIII, 320Mb RAM). Now it's working a bit slow...

I've read lots of howtos, and that's the way I could succesfully compile the sources from kernel.org:

Code:
    cd /usr/src
    tar -jxvf linux-source-2.6.27.tar.bz2
    cd linux-source.2.6.27
    make menuconfig
    make-kpkg clean
    make-kpkg --initrd --revision=x20 kernel_image
    Everything is good, but I have a pcmcia WiFi adapter that runs only with ndiswrapper, which disappears in compiled kernel ('module not found' when I'm doing modprobe ndiswrapper).

Then I've tried to config and build kernel source from Ubuntu repos, but it won't compile anyway.
    For now it looks so:

Code:
      LD      arch/x86/vdso/built-in.o
      LD      vmlinux.o
    ubuntu/built-in.o:(.bss+0x2ec): multiple definition of `debug'
    arch/x86/kernel/built-in.o:(.kprobes.text+0x78): first defined here
    ld: Warning: size of symbol `debug' changed from 76 in arch/x86/kernel/built-in.o to 4 in ubuntu/built-in.o
    make[1]: *** [vmlinux.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.27'
    So, what can I do with this?
    If your problem is that you build and still aren't getting ndiswrapper, then it needs to be enabled in menuconfig. I don't know where its located.
    If your problem is that you've enabled it but your build is stopping in that error, then from the looks of the error, try going down into, at menuconfig, the kernel hacking section and turning off kernel debugging. Look at the help within menuconfig for the things that are enabled in the kernel hacking section. I can't be any more specific, but there are a couple of things that aren't needed in there, I've already disabled them and don't have a referance to look at but the help section should point the way.

Whenever I try to build a really small kernel, I plug in as many devices as I can, connect to the internet, start up my prefered firewall... do everything that will load modules that I might need after a compile, then run this script http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/li...03.1/1248.html and direct the output to .config
    I end up having to recompile to enable things that were stripped out and I didn't think about before compiling, but on the positive side I'm not removing unwanted modules.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[QUOTE=DagMan;6241301]sudo tar -xvf linux-2.6.27.7.tar.bz2 -C /usr/src

You don't need to add --bzip2 with tar anymore whlinux-source-2.6.27en its data coming from a file. If it had that type of compression coming over a network or another stream then it would be needed

the -C switch says to unpack it into a specific directory, in this case /usr/src which I assume you want. You'd want to then
    cd /usr/src

And I think the next part is in the guide...
    rm linux
    ln -s linux-source-2.6.27 linux

except in the above line you'de substitute linux-source-2.6.27 for whatever the name of the source is. If you got it from ubuntu then it would be linux-source-2.6.27 but from kernel.org or elsewhere it might be differant.
    It should be clearer, if you get this far, where to pick back up from the guide.

If you don't want to build in /usr/src then you can specify another location after the -C switch in the first line, but it's the recommended place.

If this was for me thanks it got me through that part, now I have a problem with make oldconfig that I have to research.

so you'll probably hear me pulling my hair out for a few days.

But again thank's for the assist.

Beans

I'm trying to build kernel on recently updated Ubuntu 8.10.

I get this problem:

Code:
    # sudo apt-get build-dep linux-ubuntu-modules-$(uname -r)
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to find a source package for linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.27-9-generic
    Any ideas?d

Beans

It doesn't look like linux-ubuntu-modules are still part of the repos. I think they're all in the section where it says Ubuntu patches or something like that when you're in menuconfg. If you have a device that is no longer supported on a custom build of the 2.6.27 kernel and you got the kernel from ubuntu software sources and not kernel.org or elsewhere, then you're probably looking to build the ubuntu-backport-modules or possibly there's a particular package that needs to be reinstalled so the kernel module is rebuilt for the kernel you built.

What's the hardware device that you need support for btw?

Beans

I'm using Ubuntu 8.1 and trying to compile kernel 2.6.18 for a study reason. I use 'make xconfig' to make the configuration. However I don't know which processor family that Intel Core 2 Duo belongs to. Thus I chose Intel Pentium 4 family. When I compiled kernel with this configuration, I got this problem:
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18'
    CHK include/linux/version.h
    CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
    HOSTCC scripts/mod/sumversion.o
    scripts/mod/sumversion.c: In function ‘get_src_version’:
    scripts/mod/sumversion.c:384: error: ‘PATH_MAX’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    scripts/mod/sumversion.c:384: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    scripts/mod/sumversion.c:384: error: for each function it appears in.)
    scripts/mod/sumversion.c:384: warning: unused variable ‘filelist’
    make[3]: *** [scripts/mod/sumversion.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [scripts/mod] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [scripts] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18'
    Did I have a mistake in configuration? If not what is the reason?

Beans

Yeah I'm having some wireless card issues with my new kernel too, trying to work em out though. I'll post more info/details if I can't figure it out soon.

Thanks for the great guide.

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast