Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 286

Thread: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

    This comand sudo tar --bzip2 -xvf linux-2.6.13.1.tar.bz2 /usr/src gives this error
    tar: /usr/src: Not found in archive
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

    This is the Kernel used linux-2.6.13.1.tar.bz2 and it is saved to the desktop.

    Edit: had to use http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...el+compilation
    Last edited by John.Michael.Kane; September 14th, 2005 at 08:12 PM.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lecce, Italy
    Beans
    6,168
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

    Quote Originally Posted by SD-Plissken
    This comand sudo tar --bzip2 -xvf linux-2.6.13.1.tar.bz2 /usr/src gives this error
    tar: /usr/src: Not found in archive
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

    This is the Kernel used linux-2.6.13.1.tar.bz2 and it is saved to the desktop.

    Edit: had to use http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...el+compilation
    I've used the same command as the other guide (see point 3 in my guide).

    did you launch the command after doing cd /usr/src ?

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

    I did get the guide from the link i posted to work. i will however pass on recompiling the kernel at this time.. Thanks..

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Your front lawn, with a 40oz and a baseball bat
    Beans
    32

    Re: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

    Are the steps the same for using a 2.4 kernel?

    If I can use 2.4.31 on Ubuntu I'll have no need for Mepis.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lecce, Italy
    Beans
    6,168
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

    Quote Originally Posted by 8FootSativa
    Are the steps the same for using a 2.4 kernel?

    If I can use 2.4.31 on Ubuntu I'll have no need for Mepis.
    Yes, I guess so.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Beans
    43

    Re: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

    Quote Originally Posted by myha
    Hi!

    edit: Ok I got it working now, the problem was I edited grub config and added vga=792 and now I removed it and its ok but with smaller resolution... Why 792 isnt working? It works on previous kernel image but not on new one...
    I have exactly the same problem. I am using the same config as the pre-built kernel, but when I boot the kernel I compiled the screen is black until the gdm login screen appears.

    I use lilo, not grub, and have identical options for both kernels. I don't mention vga= in there at all, so whatever the default is, it's not working for me.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lecce, Italy
    Beans
    6,168
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooglus
    I have exactly the same problem. I am using the same config as the pre-built kernel, but when I boot the kernel I compiled the screen is black until the gdm login screen appears.

    I use lilo, not grub, and have identical options for both kernels. I don't mention vga= in there at all, so whatever the default is, it's not working for me.
    Sorry but I've always used GRUB. I'm trying to learn using LILO as I'm running PCLinuxOS now.

    BTW try to put vga= some of the numbers I wrote in my post and see if one of them works.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Beans
    124
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

    Re: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

    Hi!

    I need some help here...

    I downloaded linux-2.6.13.2.tar.bz2 and extracted it into /usr/src/linux-2.6.13.2
    I then had to go to /usr/src/linux/linux-2.6.13.2/ to do make menuconfig. All went well exept i cant find kernel-image and kernel-headers ... (point 6 in guide)

    Where are they ??

    Thanks, Miha
    Last edited by myha; September 20th, 2005 at 09:15 AM.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lecce, Italy
    Beans
    6,168
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

    Quote Originally Posted by myha
    Hi!

    I need some help here...

    I downloaded linux-2.6.13.2.tar.bz2 and extracted it into /usr/src/linux-2.6.13.2
    I then had to go to /usr/src/linux/linux-2.6.13.2/ to do make menuconfig. All went well exept i cant find kernel-image and kernel-headers ... (point 6 in guide)

    Where are they ??

    Thanks, Miha
    1) I think you have 2 directories using the same name /usr/src/linux-2.6.13.2/linux-2.6.13.2/

    delete both the new folders. When you extract the file try to extract it to /usr/src/ (instead of /usr/src/linux-2.6.13.2) as it will create linux-2.6.13.2 folder automatically.
    Remove the “linux” link (the one you made with “sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.13.2 linux”) and start the guide again (you will need to compile a new kernel).

    2)QUOTE: All went well exept i cant find kernel-image and kernel-headers ... (point 6 in guide)
    Make sure you use this command “sudo make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-custom kernel_image kernel_headers” to compile your kernel”

    As you can see, the words in blue are the ones you need if you want to compile the headers.

    And I repeat, please start the guide again.

    If you have any othe problems after the process, please post them.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Beans
    124
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

    Re: HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies

    Well I tried again the way you wrote and now I got the following error: (please see attachment).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •