Thread: How can I get BF2 working on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

How can I get BF2 working on Ubuntu

Hey I was wondering on how I could get Battlefield 2 working on Ubuntu. I have the dvd version of it but I am really sick and tired of Microsoft crashing all the time. I really like Ubuntu and was wondering if I could get it to work with it. Thanks for the help

Slugger
    Last edited by Slugger; August 14th, 2005 at 08:21 AM.

Beans

Re: How can I get BF2 working on Ubuntu

You can try using Cedega http://www.transgaming.com but i dont think it will work with the new pixel shaders.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by bjweeks
    You can try using Cedega http://www.transgaming.com but i dont think it will work with the new pixel shaders.
    Thanks I will try that out. Anyone else could help me out?

Thanks,

Slugger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

It doesn't work on Linux (yet), since Cedega only supports pixelshader 1.3 so far.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by J.K.Makowka
    It doesn't work on Linux (yet), since Cedega only supports pixelshader 1.3 so far.
    If you do some googling you will find that they HAVE support for pixel shader 1.4. Also they have made the game use 1.3 like the demo does.

Another thing is that there are some big problems with the game. So we have support for 1.4 pixel shaders which I think are included in the release of 4.4.1. Just hand on tight, because they are really working their butts off to get this title to work. From what I'm seeing in a lot of gaming forums the game doesn't run that well under Windows either. At least those that don't have the 10 video cards supported by BF2! Yes they only support 10 graphic cards!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Thanks man I will be waiting for it to come out

Beans

I doubt the 10 card thing is true Officially thats all they may support, but I know that cards below their minimum requirement worked just fine (I was using a GeForce FX 5200 when I first got the game, ran at 30 FPS). But I still agree with the point you were bringing across, namely that the game is a little TOO high end with all its high requirements, and its a really buggy game (Their own patch made the game like, unplayable for a couple of days). In any case, the game is fun, but it has MANY annoyances.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiriz
    I doubt the 10 card thing is true Officially thats all they may support, but I know that cards below their minimum requirement worked just fine (I was using a GeForce FX 5200 when I first got the game, ran at 30 FPS). But I still agree with the point you were bringing across, namely that the game is a little TOO high end with all its high requirements, and its a really buggy game (Their own patch made the game like, unplayable for a couple of days). In any case, the game is fun, but it has MANY annoyances.

Yeah I know people have got it to run in many other cards then what they support. For me the only reason of installing Windows was BF2, but from friends that have it, I hear that it's still somewhat very unstable on Windows. It seems to freeze and crash a lot. So I've decided to stay away from windows and just wait until Cedega is able to play it. Also I don't think I will be going with Ubuntu 64-bit , instead stick with 32-bit on my AMD64 3500+. I see many people having problems with ubuntu and gaming, bringing the 64-bit distro will only add more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Well right now I have a 5700 and I run everything on low and get around 30-40 fps. I have tried to raise the settings but it is too much for my video card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Will they ever support punkbuster in Wine ?