Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am TOTALLY confused about KDE and Gnome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I am TOTALLY confused about KDE and Gnome

Ok, I am officially confused. I have read so much about KDE vs. Gnome, and posts about Linus bashing Gnome, and all of that stuff that i am in complete overload. I am usuing Ubuntu 7.10 (Gnome). I just don't understand what the difference between Gnome and KDE is.

Ok, so they look different to me. Big deal. I can make Gnome look exactly like I want it, and with compiz-fusion in the 7.10 I can do way more than I would ever need to.

I see that there is software differences between the two DE's, but so far anything that I have installed, be it KDE stuff or Gnome stuff, has worked just fine in Gnome. Almost everything I read is pretty much just an opinion on what DE is prefered and I am not seeing any actual facts of the differences between the two DE's.

Frankly I am sick of reading about it and not getting any real answers. Is it really just a matter of preference between the two DE's? or is there more to it than that? Is the difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu just the DE's??

Please, if you respond to this I ask that you don't point me to yet another post about opinion on the two DE's (I have read enough of that). I just want the facts. Why one DE over the other, because if the difference is just cosmetic than I really don't care about it. Disk space means nothing to me either.

EDIT: I just read through that and I sounded like a complete ***. I really am not meaning to sound that way, just a little frustrated LOL
    Last edited by AnimateDeath; October 5th, 2007 at 12:58 AM.
    Windows user since '95. Switched from Vista to Ubuntu in Sept. '07. No regrets.
    "Nobody wants anything I've got, which is fine 'cause you're made of everything I'm not" --Slipknot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: I am TOTALLY confused about KDE and Gnome

It really is about what you prefer. I use KDE because I like using it. I like the default apps, and I like the way it looks and feels. As you already discovered you can run KDE apps in Gnome, and gnome in KDE. Some people will say the KDE apps run faster in KDE because the libs are already loaded, but I don't see a difference. Use what you like. There is XFCE, fluxbox, E17, ICEWM and many other environments to chose from. Play around with them, and use what YOU like.
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's merely opinion. Some are familiar with one and comfortable with it. Some are familiar with both and are comfortable with one or the other.

For starters they use different toolkits to draw the widgets on the screen, so folks comfortable with coding/developing/hacking up a certain toolkit may have a preference based on that.

The difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu is the installed-by-default Desktop Environment. You are correct.

Using FOSS and GNU/Linux allows you to make this decision yourself. Try them both and make up your mind as to what suits you for the reasons you yourself design.

Enjoy the freedom to try and choose whatever you want. Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

well KDE is supposed to be more customizable than gnome, take up less resources than gnome, Linus is supposedly the God of linux, Gnome hearing about it is not following what he wants so he cries like a little baby, etc..

Gnome is less customizable than KDE due to it's suppose to be more for Starters, etc.. than KDE which is suppose to be for professions, etc.. Yes many apps run in gnome from kde due to the library files, etc.. I myself am using Kppp do dialup which is a KDE application, etc..

In the end tho it's more about:

KDE
    Less resources
    For the Pros
    More customizable
    Tries to Get away from the Windows GUI

Gnome
    Uses more resources
    For the Newbies
    Less Customizable
    Tries to look like the Windows GUI

Anyone can correct me if I myself am wrong on some things.
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: I am TOTALLY confused about KDE and Gnome

If you use & like Ubuntu (Gnome) either install Kubuntu or try the live CD, ya my be a KDEr and not know it ! (if already done that never mind) I like Gnome myself but some of the 'KDE' apps are better IMO (Ktorrent etc.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm an OpenBox/Gnome user but I LOVE K3B. Great burning app.

Beans

It really is a matter of taste. Some people have strong feelings about their tastes and get all uppity about those who don't share them. Ho hum!

It sounds like you're happy enough with Gnome so be happy with Gnome. Let the KDE people be happy with KDE. Some KDE people will dismiss you, but you can just dismiss them right back, or better still - I think - just think maybe they should get over it.

Maybe sometime when you feel like exploring, install the KDE and give it a run. You might like it. So what if you do or don't. Like what you like.

Peace, Brother.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nowshining View Post

In the end tho it's more about:

KDE
    Less resources
    For the Pros
    More customizable
    Tries to Get away from the Windows GUI

Gnome
    Uses more resources
    For the Newbies
    Less Customizable
    Tries to look like the Windows GUI

Anyone can correct me if I myself am wrong on some things.
    Lol just to prove its a matter of taste the main reason I don't like KDE is because the default interface reminds me too much of windows. But I don't think there is any kind of performance difference between the two.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

So it does really jsut boil down to preference. I can do everything on Gnome that I can do on KDE and since I care not about disk space then there is no need for a change. That is all i was really looking for. Thanks for the responses.
    Windows user since '95. Switched from Vista to Ubuntu in Sept. '07. No regrets.
    "Nobody wants anything I've got, which is fine 'cause you're made of everything I'm not" --Slipknot

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

As everyone said, it's just about your taste. Personally, I don't like either... I love my XFCE!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast