Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast

Thread: Please post your Functional/Non Functional Hardware

Beans

Re: Please post your Functional/Non Functional Hardware

Just a simple works/doesn't work followed by a short description will suffice. Hopefully a lot of the problems people encounter will be simple solutions (such as manually adding a remote configuration), but still a separate thread is much preferred to using this thread again. If you have a piece of hardware that you got to work though the help of the forums or other online source,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by navingoradara View Post
    Just a simple works/doesn't work followed by a short description will suffice. Hopefully a lot of the problems people encounter will be simple solutions (such as manually adding a remote configuration), but still a separate thread is much preferred to using this thread again. If you have a piece of hardware that you got to work though the help of the forums or other online source,
    Do you have a point? Is this objection related to a particular post? "Using this thread again?": It's a sticky to which users are expected to post new, working hardware. What's the problem? Are you sure you should be "flexing" your opinion on forum structure and use while so new to this forum?

Forget my confusion over your unquoted quote of the OP's instructions, I figured out...no, don't forget it...your post is still confusing because you have posted no context or anything other than an unreferenced, unquoted quote. If you're objecting to my post, suck it! My entry wasn't a hardware list package, but it takes up very little room, does not disrupt the thread with off topic garbage, and adds meaningful content.
    Last edited by anonymousdog; July 10th, 2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: expansion on my angry rant

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anonymousdog View Post
    Do you have a point? Is this objection related to a particular post? "Using this thread again?": It's a sticky to which users are expected to post new, working hardware. What's the problem? Are you sure you should be "flexing" your opinion on forum structure and use while so new to this forum? :confused:

Forget my confusion over your unquoted quote of the OP's instructions, I figured out...no, don't forget it...your post is still confusing because you have posted no context or anything other than an unreferenced, unquoted quote. If you're objecting to my post, suck it! My entry wasn't a hardware list package, but it takes up very little room, does not disrupt the thread with off topic garbage, and adds meaningful content.
    Angrydog- I personally welcomed your original post as it sent me in a different direction and I bought the Noontec mini as a result of your post. Perhaps the newbie nav...is confused with the forum structure and didn't mean to put the post up that we see, but was just trying to quote from the sticky and got it wrong. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Anyway, my hardware/software has changed so I thought I'd update my list.

Hardware
    F/E + Primary B/E
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68 UD4B3
    CPU: i7
    RAM: 16gb
    Video Card: Nvidia GTS450
    Sound Card: onboard ALC889 (using coax SPDIF)
    HD: assorted 4tb
    Remote: Topseed
    Tuners: Compro E900F, Afatec Magica dual USB, Compro U300 USB Divico PCI Fusion HDTV
    TV provider: ABC, 7, 9 10 SBS WTV
    TV signal type: E.g. DVB-S (satellite): Terrestrial digital
    Mythbuntu Version: Mint Maya
    Noontec M100 mini keyboard, Harmony i1000 remote

Hardware
    Secondary B/E (very occasional frontend if I'm working in garage and want music)
    Motherboard: Asrock mobo G41C-S
    CPU: Core2 Quad Socket 775
    RAM: 8gb
    Video Card: Nvidia GTS250
    Sound Card: onboard ALC889 (using analogue)
    HD: assorted 1.5tb
    Remote: None
    Tuners: Hauppauge HR2200
    TV provider: ABC, 7, 9 10 SBS WTV
    TV signal type: Terrestrial digital
    Mythbuntu Version: Ubuntu Lucid

Performance: Both these machines perform beautifully as home theatre machines. They are both housed in my garage with an internal wall separating them from my theatre. I have hard-wired the boxes to my projector and LCD tv using HDMI, DVI and to my sound system using coax digital and stereo analogue. I extended the usb connections on both machines and have a pair of 7-port powered usb hubs so I have connectivity with the machines from the theatre. I am now able to record up to 11 different channels simultaneously while enjoying a film at the same time, I have never been able to stress these machines to any noticeable degree.

Works/Doesn't work:

Installed Linux Mint Maya no hitches on the new BE/FE.
    Because later kernels insist on using the RTL8169 driver for almost every chipset, I needed a distribution with all the fruit installable from DVD, otherwise cannot install network drivers and therefore no internet, no drivers, no internet....etc...

Hauppauge HR2200 will not work in any iteration since Lucid, my card only works with the earlier SAA drivers, it won't work with the NXP driver.
    Compro E900F I finally got this to sort of half work with Linux.
    Requires card=5 in driver file and only works with one tuner on big signal strength.

Both the Compro USB U300, the Afatek Magica USB and the Divico PCI Fusion HDTV cards have inbuilt support from Ubuntu kernel, enabling them is the same a enabling Nvidia drivers from Mythbuntu Control Centre. There was an issue with the old Afatek af9015 drivers, they were flaky, the newer drivers work like a charm, get them here- http://www.otit.fi/~crope/v4l-dvb/af...irmware_files/

Tony.
    Gigabyte Z68XUD43B i7 16gb ram 5.25tb GTS450 HR2200/HR2210 64-bit Mythbuntu/W8.1 dual boot BE/FE
    Laptop Samsung Windows 8 64-bit/mint 16

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I used Dell optiplex 280 for my MythUbuntu project and it worked very well.
    Hardware
    CPU: Intel pentium 3 Ghz
    RAM: 1.0 gb ram
    Video Card: NVIDIA 64 mgb integrated
    HD: 60 gb hard drive
    Tuners:
    Hauppauge PVR-350

Great tips and articles on how to sell Apple Mac hardware www.sellmemac.com

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Talking Re: Please post your Functional/Non Functional Hardware

Acer AspireOne AOD-255

Intel Atom N550 - 1.5 GHz
    RAM 2gig - upgraded from 1
    Graphics chip - Intel GMA 3150
    Broadcom 802.11n wireless (requires Wl driver must install in 'additional drivers')
    OS - Lubuntu 12.04
    Webcam/internal mic
    120 gig hard drive
    SD Drive WORKS (will not work on any other *buntu distro, developers please look into this)

EVERYTHING works with Lubuntu 12.04 and I mean EVERYTHING.

This is not the case with Ubuntu, or any other distro FWIW.
    Last edited by Nath4n; July 22nd, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Always remember to pillage before you burn.
    Don't argue with a fool. The spectators can't tell the difference

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Long time mythtv/mythbuntu user. I rebuilt my BE/FE system because it was low powered (AMD Athlon XP, GeForce 6200, 2 GB RAM, and analog tuners only). Because my tv provider (Comcast) stopped broadcasting analog signal, we could no longer record tv.

The new BE/FE system was built to for recording digital tv, capturing vhs movies, storing/playing videos, and storing/playing music.

BE/FE Hardware Specifications

Motherboard: ASUS P8 Z68-V/Gen 3 (LGA115 CPU socket)
    CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 (3.3 Ghz, 3Mb Cache)
    RAM: 8 Gb (GSkill, DDR3-1600)
    Videocard: Integrated into i3 CPU
    TV Tuner: pcHDTV 5500 (digital/analog), Hauppauge PVR 500 (analog only)
    Soundcard: Integrated into motherboard
    Powersupply: Dynex 520 Watt
    DVD Drive (optical): LG GH24 Super Multi DVD Rewriter
    Hard Disks: OCR 120 Gb Solid State SATA III (OS), 750 Gb WD SATA, 2Tb Samsung SATA
    Remotes: MediaGate MCE USB GP-IR02BK, Cideko Air Keyboard AVK-02
    TV: Panasonic Viera 50"

What Works Flawlessly:
    All hardware worked out of the box. I am using the pcHDTV to record digital (DBS) broadcasts only, while the PVR 500 is connected to a VCR to record VHS videos. The system has plenty of power to play high definition videos smoothly.

Resolvable Issues:
    Initially the pcHDTV card was unable to pick up all of the tv channels and there was some pixelation with recordings. The fault was not the pcHDTV card, but rather a weak signal (<80%) due to splitting the coaxial cable between MythTV and the TV. I also had the other splits left over from the previous BE/FE system. Removing all of the coaxial cable splitters (1-three way and 1-two way) and a single coaxial cable from the wall to the pcHDTV increased the signal to >90%. The pcHDTV was then able to pick up all of the tv channels and pixelation in the recordings was eliminated.

What's Not Resolved:
    Screen resolution 1280x720 does not fit in the tv screen (top task bar cannot be seen except for a few pixels). I have been unable to adjust the screen to fit the tv using tv zoom feature or MythTV utilities. This is more annoying than a significant problem. The fact that xfce allows right-clicking on the desktop for access to programs is really appreciated.

Mythweather doesn't work very well for me. Current conditions works, but none of the other screens in Mythweather even though the source is configured.

Other than the above, Mythbuntu software works very well.

Thank you Mythbuntu team and MythTV developers.

Beans

Frontend for MythTV & Flashvideos. Works like a charm no issues at all.

• Antec ISK 310-150 Black Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case
    • PNY GeForce GT 430 1024MB DDR3 PCI-Express 2.0 DVI+VGA+HDMI Low Profile Graphics Card
    • Intel Core I3-2120T processor
    • Crucial 64 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT064M4SSD2
    • ASRock H67M-ITX Socket 1155/ Intel H67/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&V&GbE/ Mini-ITX Motherboard
    • Corsair XMS3 4 GB 1333MHz PC3-10666 240-pin DDR3 Memory
    • Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver
    • ARCTIC 80mm F8 case fan

Some Notes:

Plays MythTV with advanced 2x vdpau interlacing flawlessly. Resolution is 1920x1080@60 Fullscreen youtube or other flash vids work without issue as does 1080p video streamed from server.

This setup allows for a GT 430 Nvidia graphics card. If you go with a different card, pay attention to the heatsink. It's very tight. Some GT 430 heatsinks simply won't fit.

This system is connected to widescreen Samsung TV via HDMI connection on GT 430. (Video & Sound) Sound on MythTV worked fine via this method. Sound on Ubuntu was more difficult. Took a bit of research to find settings that worked for alsa. Soundcard on Mobo is turned off.

This was a tight fit, but I wanted a small case for the kitchen counter with the power to play anything and this system does it really well. I added an additional fan and set both to lowest setting result is that I can just barely hear it and only if the TV is turned off. Heat is no issue at all as even playing a high rez video with advanced interlacing, there is no heat rise at all and the stock intel cooling fan never needs to shift to higher speed.

I did not install an optical drive. It would work with this case, but honestly I don't really see how it would fit with the internal PS and cabling.

Now issues at all with available power from the included internal supply. (no brick needed) The 2120T is low power and is barely used while Myth is playing.

This system boots up from power button to MythTV menu in less 10 seconds. This is mostly due to the SSD. There is room for a 2nd SSD in this case but I did not use it.

The case has USB 3.0 headers on the front but my Mobo does not support it. You may want to use a different Mobo if USB 3.0 is important.

The remote I'm using identifies itself as a keyboard & mouse, so LIRC is not needed. The mouse part is handy. I had to use Xmodmap to configure some of the keys as MythTV does not recognize "shift". It's very responsive once setup.
    Last edited by topcat5; August 2nd, 2012 at 11:27 AM.

Beans

Walmart online is selling the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-850

lsusb -v will show the manufacturer:device code of 2040:b140

dmesg will show:

[ 22.752176] dvb_init: looking for tuner / demod on i2c bus: 2
    [ 22.809556] tda18271 2-0060: attaching existing instance
    [ 22.809562] DVB: registering new adapter (cx231xx #0)
    [ 22.809567] DVB: registering adapter 2 frontend 0 (LG Electronics LGDT3305 VSB/QAM Frontend)...
    [ 22.812176] Successfully loaded cx231xx-dvb
    [ 22.812424] cx231xx: Cx231xx dvb Extension initialized
    [ 24.354035] HDMI hot plug event: Codec=3 Pin=5

In backend add new DVD DTV card type LGDT3305.

After power cycling the card scanned channels fine.
    This is using 12.04

Update - Tuner showed issues of not working after reset or power cycle requiring it to be unplugged and reseated. This has been reported on several sights with no fix listed. Took card and installed it in a Win7 machine afterwards re-installed in Mythbuntu box and power cycled. Tuner card came up with no problem. Will continue to monitor to see if this was a fluke and will update accordingly.
    Last edited by mtbdrew; September 12th, 2012 at 12:52 PM.

Beans

DTV2000DS Plus DVB card.

In the backend I selected DVB DTV Capture Card but no card options show up in the next line.

Should MythTv have identified the card at this point or should it have a list of cards to select? I cant see either.

Any help on where to get the driver?

lsusb -v gives:

Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0413:6f12 Leadtek Research, Inc.
    Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
    Device Descriptor:
    bLength 18
    bDescriptorType 1
    bcdUSB 2.00
    bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
    bDeviceSubClass 0
    bDeviceProtocol 0
    bMaxPacketSize0 64
    idVendor 0x0413 Leadtek Research, Inc.
    idProduct 0x6f12
    bcdDevice 1.00
    iManufacturer 1
    iProduct 2
    iSerial 0
    bNumConfigurations 1
    Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength 9
    bDescriptorType 2
    wTotalLength 25
    bNumInterfaces 1
    bConfigurationValue 1
    iConfiguration 4
    bmAttributes 0xa0
    (Bus Powered)
    Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower 500mA
    Interface Descriptor:
    bLength 9
    bDescriptorType 4
    bInterfaceNumber 0
    bAlternateSetting 0
    bNumEndpoints 1
    bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
    bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
    bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
    iInterface 5
    Endpoint Descriptor:
    bLength 7
    bDescriptorType 5
    bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
    bmAttributes 2
    Transfer Type Bulk
    Synch Type None
    Usage Type Data
    wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
    bInterval 0

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sparx66 View Post
    DTV2000DS Plus DVB card.

In the backend I selected DVB DTV Capture Card but no card options show up in the next line.

Should MythTv have identified the card at this point or should it have a list of cards to select? I cant see either.

Any help on where to get the driver?

lsusb -v gives:

Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0413:6f12 Leadtek Research, Inc.
    Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
    Device Descriptor:
    bLength 18
    bDescriptorType 1
    bcdUSB 2.00
    bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
    bDeviceSubClass 0
    bDeviceProtocol 0
    bMaxPacketSize0 64
    idVendor 0x0413 Leadtek Research, Inc.
    idProduct 0x6f12
    bcdDevice 1.00
    iManufacturer 1
    iProduct 2
    iSerial 0
    bNumConfigurations 1
    Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength 9
    bDescriptorType 2
    wTotalLength 25
    bNumInterfaces 1
    bConfigurationValue 1
    iConfiguration 4
    bmAttributes 0xa0
    (Bus Powered)
    Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower 500mA
    Interface Descriptor:
    bLength 9
    bDescriptorType 4
    bInterfaceNumber 0
    bAlternateSetting 0
    bNumEndpoints 1
    bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
    bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
    bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
    iInterface 5
    Endpoint Descriptor:
    bLength 7
    bDescriptorType 5
    bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
    bmAttributes 2
    Transfer Type Bulk
    Synch Type None
    Usage Type Data
    wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
    bInterval 0
    I believe there is no linux driver for this card, see www.linuxtv.org - the wiki has details of what has support.

Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast