Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Please post your Functional/Non Functional Hardware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Please post your Functional/Non Functional Hardware

Hardware
    Motherboard: ZOTAC GF9300-D-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300 HDMI WiFi Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
    RAM: 2Gb (2x1Gb) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N6/1G
    Video Card: onboard (HDMI)
    Sound Card: onboard (via HDMI)
    HD: 4Gb Sandisk Contour USB Flash Drive
    Remote: Mediagate GP-IR01BK Vista MCE Remote Control
    Tuners: none
    TV provider: none
    TV signal type: none
    Mythbuntu Version: 9.04

Additional: case (temporary) APEX MI-100; Pico-PSU 120; Cooljag fanless heatsink; single 120mm noiseblocker XL1 fan = no noise

Performance
    One issue so far: big DVDRip (or BlurayRip), 8.2Gb, ~15Mbit/sec, MKV plays with some hiccups. Network or CPU seem not to be an issue.
    Last edited by port443; November 27th, 2009 at 05:22 AM.

Beans

Hardware
    Motherboard: ASUS M2NPV-VM Graphics Nvidia nForce430 chipsey
    CPU: AMD Athlon X2 6000
    RAM: 2Gb SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N6/1G
    Video Card: Onboard NVIDIA 6150 (HDMI)
    Sound Card: onboard (via SPDIF)
    HD: Myth-TV backend via Gbit Ethernet (onboard)
    Remote: none
    Tuners: 3 x Hauppauge Nova-S2 1xHauppauge WinTV Nexus-S 1x Hauppauge WinTV Nova S-plus (on dedicated mythtv backend)
    TV provider: Astra 19.2E and 28E
    TV signal type: DVB-S and DVB-S2
    Mythbuntu Version: 9.10

Performance
    SDTV - perfect
    720p and 1080i - rare tearing high on frame but stable jitter-free playback (BIG exception H.264 streams whose profile is affected by known ffmpeg bug).
    Needed to adjust CPU throttling threshold for HDTV.
    Heavy CPU load during HDTV playback needing excessive fan activity on PSU. (Gonna move to VDPAU and a single-core CPU).
    Rare crashes of front-end - not easily reproducible.
    Hanging/crashing of front-end when backend attempts to tune DVB-S2 channels with DVB-S tuner.
    Last edited by wackston; December 1st, 2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: typos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hardware
    Setup: Primary Backend/Frontend (currently headless)
    MB: Abit IS7-V2
    CPU: P4 3.0GHz
    RAM: 2.0GB DDR 1.0GB DDR
    Video: NVidia GeForce 5500 128MB AGP
    Audio: Onboard, ICH5
    LAN: Realtek-8169 PCI 1Gbps
    HD: 160GB (various IDE) + 1TB Hitachi ST6OA31B (SATA)
    Tuners: (2) Hauppauge HVR-1600 PCI
    Signal: Analog Cable x 2 + OTA Digital x 2
    OS/Software: Mythbuntu 9.10

Performance
    Compiled and installed latest v4l-dvb drivers (info might be out of date). Both analog and digital works, but MythTV scanner missed a few digital channels until antenna positioning was tweaked. Cable company only offers few digital clear-QAM channels so I use strictly OTA digital.

I also tweaked /etc/X11/xorg.conf for video performance and other issues with my GeForce 5500. I've been running this as a backend since 11-2008 and upgraded 8.10 -> 9.04 -> 9.10 without any major issues. I also periodically compile and install the newest v4l-dvb drivers. This is also my file/music/picture/video server for my Windows network using CIFS shared folders.

Edit: added an additional GB of RAM, no perceived performance difference. Frontend reports that backend is using up to 1.9GB used after watching a show, but normally 400-1800MB 400-600MB when idle.

Hardware
    Setup: Frontend Only
    MB: P4M900-M4
    CPU: Celeron 2.0GHz
    RAM: 1GB DDR2
    Video: ASUS GeForce 8400GS 512MB[G98] (SVideo out)
    Audio: Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
    LAN: Onboard VIA VT6102 [Rhine-II]
    HD: RiDATA 4GB RDCF4G-233X-LIG CF IDE + SYBA SD-CF-IDE-A Adapter
    Remote: MCEUSB2 (comes with Hauppauge HVR-1600)
    OS/Software: Mythbuntu 9.10 + fixes

Performance
    I tweaked /etc/X11/xorg.conf for video performance and other issues with my GeForce 4 MX 4000 GeForce 8400. I mount CIFS shares over the network in /etc/fstab which gives me access to my music, pictures and videos in MythTV. I also changed "swappiness" to 10 since I'm using a CF card, but I still have about 120MB 330MB swap that is almost never used.

Still working on getting suspend/resume working on the frontend with NVidia drivers set to NvAGP 1 and acceptable HD playback. Other than that, I'm a happy camper. Edit: this no longer applies to my current frontend, but left for reference since I had fixed it.

Edit: built a new frontend to replace my old one. ATSC HD playback is fine with the Celeron 2.0 and 8400GS using VDPAU. Had trouble with onboard audio on the new board as well so I used the same PCI sound card. Removed MythGame and the MS Gamepad since I have no time.

Hardware
    Setup: Spare Frontend
    MB: Abit IS7-V2
    CPU: P4 3.0GHz
    RAM: 512MB DDR
    Video: NVidia GeForce4 MX 4000 128MB AGP (SVideo out)
    Audio: (onboard)
    LAN: Onboard Realtek-8139 100Mbps
    HD: RiDATA 8GB CF IDE + SYBA SD-CF-IDE-A Adapter
    Gamepad: Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad (Gameport)
    Remote: n/a
    OS/Software: Xubuntu 9.10 + Mythbuntu Control Center + MythTV fixes

Performance
    See above.

Many Thanks to Linux, Ubuntu, v4l, cx18, lirc, MythTV, MythBuntu and all other developers!!
    Last edited by matt06; May 15th, 2010 at 03:47 AM. Reason: more info, new frontend, fixed link
    MythTV BE: ECS A780GM-A, X2 240, 2GB, 40GB SSD, 2TB, (2)HVR-1600, Cable + OTA, 10.04 Server 64-bit, MythTV 0.25.3
    MythTV FE: P4M900-M4, Cel 2.0GHz, 1GB, 8400GS 512MB, 4GB CF, MCE, 12.04. FE2: AR3700, 4GB, 250GB, ION, MCE, 12.04

Beans

Hardware
    Setup: Frontend and Backend
    MB: Asus P5Q-EM
    CPU: C2D E8400
    RAM: 4GB DDR
    Video: Radeon HD5770
    Audio: Integrated
    LAN: Onboard Realtek
    HD: WD 320GB
    Tuners: AverTV Trinity A707 (Analog, DVB-T, DVB-S)
    Remote: Logitech Dinovo Mini
    OS/Software: Mythbuntu 9.10

Problems:
    - TV Tuner completely doesn't work...
    - had to install PulseAudio to change audio output to HDMI
    - had to install some apps to change default (very very small) QT apps fonts
    - had to upgrade fgrlx, because default did not support my graphic card

Beans

Hardware
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
    CPU: AMD 4850e

RAM: 2Gb DDR2 800
    Video Card: HD3200 (Integrated)
    Tried NVidia GT220
    Sound Card: Integrated
    HD: 1x1Tb Seagate SATA 1x500Gb Seagate SATA
    Remote: Hauppage via PVR-350
    Tuners: Hauppage PVR-350 (connected to Sky+ s-video)
    Hauppage Nova T-500
    TV provider: Freeview
    TV signal type: DVB-T
    Mythbuntu Version: 9.10

Performance
    The above works quite well, currently used for standard def, as I haven't any hi def stuff. Originally tried an NVidia GT220, but this had poor performance from the open source driver and the nvidia drivers need to be at least version 190 (karmic has 185). I did manage to install the 190 drivers from avenard along with the updated mythtv (a trial in itself), but I found stability to be an issue along with an annoying freeze for several seconds at a time and a loss of sound. Tried various suggested fixes but without success.

My original reason for aquiring an nvidia card was due to image tearing in video playback on the HD3200 which I couldn't find a fix for (this was using mythdora btw). Buying the gt220 was the opportunity to update to mythbuntu, but I was dissapointed with the gt220, I guess I have to wait for the software to catch up. I found a thread regarding the video tearing on the hd3200 suggesting the radeonhd driver, so I removed the gt220 and reinstalled mythbuntu on a separate partition, intalling the radeon driver and then updating to the radeonhd driver in edgers repo. After configuring xorg.conf, including the hdmi audio options, video is tear free, audio is via hdmi and no problems with freezing. Minor glitches have been seen in playback which have coincided with autoexpire messages appearing in the logs, so I am looking into what is going on there. Otherwise playback is smooth.

One thing I still have to sort out is the remote. I selected the hauppage remote (several different options here), but none appear to be working. Shouldn't be to big a problem to sort out, currently using a wireless keyboard/mouse so no rush.

Beans

Hardware
    Motherboard: ASUS ? (nforce 4 chipset)
    CPU: AMD Athalon 64 X2 3800+
    RAM: 4Gb DDR 400
    Video Card: BFG Tech Nvidia 9600 GT
    Sound Card: SB Audigy X-Fi
    HD: 1x 40Gb for OS, and 1x 200Gb for recordings
    Remote: iPhone, running Hippo remote (highly recomended)
    Tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1250
    TV provider: OTA DTV
    TV signal type: ATSC
    Mythbuntu Version: 9.10 frontend/backend

Performance
    Performance is good. Live TV is excelent, I am having a problem with recording image quality, but I expect I will be able to solve the issue. Everything worked without any tweaking so far. I have also added the Hulu Desktop application and launch it from the MythTV frontend. Video from hulu is good - not the best.

edit: The recording playback problem was resolved by enabling VDPAU playback profiles, and now the performance is excelent. I will be adding a remote and possibly another tuner to the system shortly. Viewing ATSC in HD, recording in HD, and playback in HD all work very well. Schedules direct was added for programing information and integration was seamless. This seems to be a very stable configuration so far.

edit: Added remote reference, added Boxee and launch it through MythTV. The Hippo Remote is a VNC app for the iPhone that has native support for Ubuntu and profiles for boxee and hulu built in. Also works as a remote trackpad and keyboard in Ubuntu for doing all sorts of computer tasks that would otherwise require me to have a wireless keyboard and mouse in my living room. Quite happy with the current set up!
    Last edited by User X; April 14th, 2010 at 03:11 PM.

Beans

Update:

Hardware
    MainBoad: Asus M2N-E
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ dual core
    RAM: 2 GB
    Video Card: nVidia nForce 570 Ultra
    HDD: WD 500MB PATA
    Tuners: Hauppauge PVR-350
    Sound Card: onboard

I now consider this setup non-functional. After freezing on fast-forward during playback, the sound dropped from all recorded tracks. No one seems to be able to resolve the issue. I do not recommend this hardware setup. (In addition, it appears that PVR-350 support is deprecated in the latest version of Mythbuntu (9.10); indeed, an upgrade to 9.10 was unsuccessful).

Some additional research indicates problems with AMD dual-core processors. Might be something to be wary of as well. Good luck, as I've given up on Mythbuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello, all. I'm new to MythTV and Ubuntu all together. I'm looking to re-use some existing hardware (CPUs) but I do realize I will need a new motherboard. I would like a motherboard with on-board HDMI output to use with my TV.

The main purpuse of my system is to store HD content from my Comcast cable box, HD movies, music, and picture slideshows. I would like to use MythBuntu 9.10 as I have already tested it out on a Virtual Machine and am happy with it.

I would like to use either a P4 or AMD Sempron 3200+ that I have laying around.

RAM, HDD, and case are not issues. I just need a good motherboard with HDMI output.

Thanks for the help.
    I'm just a Windows admin in a Linux world...

Beans

Hi guys,

Just installed mythbuntu 9.10, I've been a long time ubuntu user and finally got "with the program" and got an LCDTV. First order of business was an HTPC of course! There is (what appears to be) an unresolvable showstopper problem right now which is pushing me to buy Win 7 home to run xbmc on...

Hardware
    Motherboard: Abit IL-90MV intel VIIV technology w/onboard HDMI
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 (2.0ghz)
    RAM: 4Gb DDR2 667 (3.5 visible)
    Video Card: onboard intel GMA 950
    Sound Card: integrated Realtek 7.1 HD audio w/spdif in/out
    HD: 500GB seagate
    Remote: ebay mini wireless kb/trackball
    Tuners: none yet
    TV provider: Will be going with FTA to onboard DVB/DVA HD tuner to complement my expressvu subscription

TV signal type: N/A

What doesn't work: Audio over HDMI. I've tried everything I can find so far and this IS a show stopper for me because the audio out of the 3.5mm audio cable sucks

Given how the intel video driver works with the windows driver (according to the manual) I'm open, reluctantly, to the possibility it's related to the intel driver - but I'm doubtful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi,

I've been using Mythtv since 7.10, had a lot of trouble but it's getting there now.

Hardware
    Motherboard: Asus M3N78-EM
    CPU: AMD 5050e
    RAM: 2GB
    Video Card: NVidia 8300 on board
    Sound Card: Realtek ALC1200 7.1 HD audio w/SPDIF out
    HD: 1,5TB Samsung Spinpoint Green 5400RPM
    Remote: Logitech Harmony One
    Tuners: Digital Everywhere FloppyDTV DVB-T with Conax CAM and subscription card
    TV provider: Digitenne (DVB-T)
    TV signal type: DVB-T
    Receiver: Sony STR-DB 930 5.1 with SPDIF in
    TV: Samsung LE40B530 (1080p) 3 X HDMI, SPDIF out

What doesn't work: Struggled with audio/video at first, but finally have everything working. I can record any channel from Digitenne (also encrypted commercial channels) Sometimes recording multiple channels fails. Sometimes ISO's of DVD's I ripped don't work, these same ISO's work when I play them using VLC on Windows. Also, the EDID data for my TV is wrong so VLC has enormous fonts which make it impossible to use.

Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast