Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Please post your Functional/Non Functional Hardware

Beans

Re: Please post your Functional/Non Functional Hardware

hi there... first time poster. i wasnt sure if i was suposed to reply to this post or start a new one.

regardless.. maybe this is a new forum? .. so i wanted to post my experiences. it was positive.

Hardware
    Mobo: gigabyte GA-7N400 (its fine.. but it doesnt have sata connectors)
    CPU: athlon XP 3200+ underclocked to around 2000mhz socket a
    RAM: 1 gig (2 x 512) corsair value select DDR
    Video Card: winfast leadtek GF7300GT. connected via component cables to a SD CRT tv.
    Sound Card:nvidia onboard.
    HD:samsung 400g pata
    Remote: streamzap - im not thrilled with the default mapping so ill change it
    Tuners: Technisat AirStar 2 DVB-T .. required me to update vlc.

i needed to update VLC before the tuner card would be detected.
    the video card was detected fine.. which was nice.

i live in australia. i believe that i asked for xmltv to be installed, but it didn't do it for me. i had to install xmltv via apt-get. I then needed to create tv_grab_au and modify that to suit. I used a piece of code written by manicmike from the knoppmyth forums. his code sets up tv_grab_au. i needed to modify the code to fit the mythbuntu file structure.. but it worked perfectly.

i enjoyed this setup. thanks to those that worked on it.

Beans

Hardware
    Barebome MSI MEGA PC 651
    CPU: Pentium 4 2,6 Mhz
    RAM: 1 GB DDR 400
    Video Card: nVidia FX 5500
    Sound Card: Realtek ALC 650
    HD: Maxtor 250 GB ATA 133
    Remote: Nova-T 500 Remote control
    Tuners: Hauppauge NOVA-T 500

All hardware works fine except remote control... I Worked with Ubuntu 7.04 but in 7.10 doesn't work...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

ATI Radeon 9200 (Only works in VESA mode) - Worked fine in 7.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dmf86 View Post
    ATI Radeon 9200 (Only works in VESA mode) - Worked fine in 7.04
    Was there anything else about your hardware that you wanted to tell us?
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans

Backend (running)
    Hardware
    CPU: Athlon 4400 X2 (low power)
    RAM: 1 gig
    Video Card: NVidia 7600
    Sound Card: Onboard (Via)
    HD: 320 Gb Seagate Sata
    Remote: NA
    Tuners: 1 x Haup Nova-T 500

Frontend 1 (work in progress)
    Hardware
    CPU: VIA C3 1000MHz
    RAM: 512Mb
    Video Card: Unichrome Pro
    Sound Card: On board
    HD: 4 gig USB Drive
    Remote: MCE Remote
    Tuners: NA

Beans

Hardware
    CPU: AMD Athlon 3000+
    RAM: 2.0 gb ram
    Video Card: NVIDIA 7300gt, 256 mb
    HD: 80 gb ext3 for O/S and recording, 500 gb NTFS for data storage
    Tuners:
    Ultraview (DVico) DVB-T Plus

Performance
    All hardware properly detected and functional.
    Made changes to /etc/modprobe.d/aliases and created /etc/modprobe.d/dvico. May not have been necessary but always had to before to get MythTV working.
    No problems with HD, runs smoothly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Combined Backend/Frontend

Hardware
    CPU: Pentium IV 1.8
    Video Card: nVidia FX5200
    Sound Card: Onboard
    HD: 1 x 80Gb, 1 x 500Gb
    Remote: Hauppauge
    Tuners: 2 x Hauppauge PVR-350

Performance
    All SD, works abolutely fine even when recording on both tuners whilst watching liveTV from one of the tuners and streaming recordings to remote frontend.
    Also used as home file server via samba, no negative impact on performance.

Remote Frontend #1 -- wired mini desktop

Hardware
    CPU: AMD Sempron 2600
    Video Card: Onboard
    HD: 1 x 160Gb
    Remote: Serial (Igor)
    Tuners: n/a

Performance
    Perfectly acceptable performance watching SD streams from the backend and watching DVDs from local player.

Remote Frontend #2 -- wireless laptop

Hardware
    Model: IBM R50e 1834
    CPU: Pentium M
    RAM: 768Mb
    Video Card: Onboard
    HD: 1 x 40Gb
    Remote: none
    Tuners: n/a

Performance
    Reasonable performance watching SD streams from the backend, occasional prebuffering pauses (once or twice an hour). Prebuffering maybe network related as DVD playback absolutely fine.

~~~~~~~
    Note : not mythbuntu boxes, 7.04 install following community install docs

Beans

Master back end - Beast

Hardware

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
    RAM: 1 gig ram 2 gig swap
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce FX 5200
    Sound Card: nForce2 AC97
    HD: 3 400 gig 7200 rpm Segate Barracuda pata drives, 1 dvd+/-rw. hda configured with 92 gig root, 2 gig swap, remaining added to lvm group. hdb and hdc dedicated entirely to lvm group. total in lvm comes out to 1 Tbyte
    Remote: Hauppauge Grey
    Tuners: 3 Hauppauge pvr-250 tuners in case, 2 silicon graphics hdhomerun receivers outside. The three 250s are capturing analog cable, oen hdhomerun is capturing unencrypted digital cable, 1 is capturing off the air hdtv content.

Performance This box currently has a front end running on it, however I am likely to be removing that functionality in the reasonably near future. I have succesfully captured 2 hdtv (not just digital tv) channals and 2 analog channels simultaniously. That is possible because all of the tuners are streaming mpeg2 content already compressed and the system itself is primarily just keeping track of what files are open and where it should be dumping the data. It is serving up content to the front end described below (Beauty) and is making content available to other systems in my home running the mythtv front end software. Those systems are running a combination of gutsy and feisty and have accessed with no problem. One of the reasons that this is not running as a front end is that the HDTV content is not displayed in an acceptable fassion. This box has run Knopmyth for over a year with half the memory and a slower processor. I had hoped that the 2400 processor I had pulled form a motherboard that would not have functioned well (VIA chipset bios, exhibits known DMA crashinb behaviour) would have helped with that, no luck.

Front end - Beauty
    Hardware
    CPU:
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
    RAM: 512 Meg ram, 1.5 Gig swap
    Video Card: nVidia GeForoce 6200
    Sound Card: embeded Intel ICH4/ICM4-L/ICM4-M AC'97 controler
    HD: Seagate baracuda 160 gig drive (smallest I could find when the 30 gig that came with the system died), cd-rw/dvd-ram
    Remote: Streamzap pc remote
    Tuners: none

Performance This started as an IBM netvista that came with the described Intel processor, memory audio and a cd-rw/dvd-ram drive. The embeded intel video could only be configured in bios to accept 8 meg of stolen memory, and no matter what I tried I was never able to get HDTV to succesfully play through that video interface. The hard drive (30 gig) that came with it, died slaming it's heads against the wall, so I picked up the smallest new hard drive I could find. (generally happy with Segate drives up to this point, but was not specifically looking for that) With the GeForce 6200, the propriatary 3D enhanced-new drivers and the Preferred MPEG2 Decoder set to "Standard XvMC" HDTV content plays acceptably. The card also has 256 meg of ddr2 memory, though I'm not sure how much that helps. The card is 8x agp capable, but is only runing at 4x agp. Not sure if this is a limitation of the nVidia drivers or the motherboard.

You may note elsewhere that the minimum recomended specs for hdtv content are 3 gig. In general I support that recommendation. My front end is capable of hdtv content playback at an acceptable rate for me, but it is not doing hdtv recording at the same time. That is happening (if at all) on the back end system. The front end box that I have assembled totals about $35 in parts. I was not looking for 5.1 surround sound or digital audio out. This specific box uses a low profile format, and while the video card is a low profile card, it did not come with the low profile bracket. I consider this to be a flaw that I will be correcting at some point. But ti's why I am not advertising the manufacturer of this specific card.

Video output frm the front end is going through a 50 foot VGA cable to a DLP projector. The resolution is outside the native resolution for the projector which may be an issue for some users, however the projector ahs a native resolution of 1024x768. 1280x960 with the projector set to 16:9 and the format set to 16:9 works acceptably for me. For now the 'screen' is a wall painted white, which probably suggests to some people that I don't care about the quality as much as they do. That's ok too.

Configuring the Hauppauge remote on the front end still needs a few tweeks. Originally this system had been configured with the StreamZap remote, and the software to change remotes does not seem to know how to update the ~/.mythtv/lircrc file with the new profile. It involved a manual run of mythbuntu-lircrc-generator which gathered from the /etc/lircrc file that I was using a hauppauge receiver and generated a .lircrc file for me, with multiple hauppauge remotes defined. Minor chor editing out the Hauppauge_WinTV_Nexus-S, Hauppauge-350 and Hauppauge (non _pvr) lines. Some tweeking remains to make the channel up/down, blank, audio up/down, and color buttons usable, but it's not a priority at this time.

Beans

My Nova-T 500 control remote works fine!!

I follow this wiki:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php...Nova-T_500_PCI

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Combined frontend and backend

Hardware
    CPU: P4 2.8 (Prescott) - Machspeed Motherboard
    RAM: 1 Gig
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce 5600
    Sound Card: Onboard Sound (VIA 8533 - I think)
    HD: 250 + 160 IDE Hard Drive
    Remote: Zapway.de homebrew serial receiver (not working) w/ harmony remote
    Tuners: Hauppauge PVR-150

Performance: Forced to upgrade when I lost support on my FC4 machine this fall. I only use standard definition at this point in time and everything worked out of the box EXCEPT for the serial IR receiver. Thanks for the slick installer!
    Last edited by mr_bungalow; October 10th, 2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: standard definition

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast